Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

9 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Hate paying receivers that kind of money. Love Deebo and he is special but i have a hard time justifying that type of money for a receiver let alone one with the injury history he has. Focus your money on QB/OL/Defense is a way more sustainable way to succes. Especially figuring in we already are paying Kittle a lot of money.

The last few receiver classes have been incredible, and the next few seem stacked as well. This past WR FA market was a bit suppressed because there were just so many guys available. 

Deebo might not command the money you think he will, and he might be willing to take a bit of a hometown discount. 

I forget who it was, but someone like Ben allbright said that they had heard deebo wouldn't get a second contract from us and vaguely alluded to a reason but didn't say what it was. This was during the 2020 season I think. Things have clearly changed. He has 1600 yards in 15 games.

At some point the niners will have to hand out big signing bonuses and push cap hits into future years and start racking up the credit card bill. The window is wide open and we need to capitalize on it. 

Deebo is young enough, he may want to be in a good spot to get a third contract. Hopefully they make it work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N4L said:

The last few receiver classes have been incredible, and the next few seem stacked as well. This past WR FA market was a bit suppressed because there were just so many guys available. 

Deebo might not command the money you think he will, and he might be willing to take a bit of a hometown discount. 

I forget who it was, but someone like Ben allbright said that they had heard deebo wouldn't get a second contract from us and vaguely alluded to a reason but didn't say what it was. This was during the 2020 season I think. Things have clearly changed. He has 1600 yards in 15 games.

At some point the niners will have to hand out big signing bonuses and push cap hits into future years and start racking up the credit card bill. The window is wide open and we need to capitalize on it. 

Deebo is young enough, he may want to be in a good spot to get a third contract. Hopefully they make it work. 

With the spread offense being the king in college they will keep pushing out receivers as long as that's the case. And while having Deebo is absolutely amazing i don't think he is a guy you give a 4 year deal over 60 mil for. Unless its one of those Paraag contracts that actually is way less then face value says. If we can get him for 40/50 on a 4 year sure sign him up.

And funny enough i am down for using high picks to pick receivers but when you have a top one i don't think keeping them is worth it just like Baker Mayfield type QB's are worth a high pick but i have a hard time justifying giving the type of contract they "deserve".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

With the spread offense being the king in college they will keep pushing out receivers as long as that's the case. And while having Deebo is absolutely amazing i don't think he is a guy you give a 4 year deal over 60 mil for. Unless its one of those Paraag contracts that actually is way less then face value says. If we can get him for 40/50 on a 4 year sure sign him up.

And funny enough i am down for using high picks to pick receivers but when you have a top one i don't think keeping them is worth it just like Baker Mayfield type QB's are worth a high pick but i have a hard time justifying giving the type of contract they "deserve".

Agree with everything. Only caveat with Deebo is his ability out of the backfield is unique and not a readily available trait at the position. That somewhat increases his value imo. BUT his injury history kind of offsets that so it'll be interesting how it all shakes out. 

• Like 1

If the cap keeps going up, I don't think it would be too hard to pay Deebo. The WR market being what it is, I don't the position going through a big inflation. So what top receivers will make 5 years from now isn't going to be a whole lot different than what they're getting now. So you pay him, let the cap rise, and his cap hit doesn't really hurt that much. I think Aiyuk will end up a casualty of the team structure, and will be an attractive option for another team. But it's hard to imagine letting Deebo go, seeing how much of the identity of this team he is responsible of, right now. But who knows, maybe next year changes everything. Trey starts and Aiyuk blows up, more as a function of style of play/scheme than anything else. So, do we risk not offering Deebo an extension this year and hope he doesn't mind playing out the 4th year of his contract? Or does he hold out? 

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

If the cap keeps going up, I don't think it would be too hard to pay Deebo. The WR market being what it is, I don't the position going through a big inflation. So what top receivers will make 5 years from now isn't going to be a whole lot different than what they're getting now. So you pay him, let the cap rise, and his cap hit doesn't really hurt that much. I think Aiyuk will end up a casualty of the team structure, and will be an attractive option for another team. But it's hard to imagine letting Deebo go, seeing how much of the identity of this team he is responsible of, right now. But who knows, maybe next year changes everything. Trey starts and Aiyuk blows up, more as a function of style of play/scheme than anything else. So, do we risk not offering Deebo an extension this year and hope he doesn't mind playing out the 4th year of his contract? Or does he hold out? 

And that's the rub. If Trey does ascend as the QBOTF and we're actually a team that can now threaten vertically, does that lessen Deebo's value? Does it increase Aiyuk's value, who has het to put together a complete season worthy of an extension?

I think if Deebo has another year where he's realtively healthy and remains an absolute weapon in the scheme, it will be hard NOT to pay him.

• Like 1

Peter King thinks the Niners can get a mid-1st for Jimmy this offseason. Um, not sure about that but the draft isn't exactly great at QB. Only thing that hurts is that you have potentially three top level QBs that could be on the move. 

Jimmy, please don't mess up your stock in the postseason!! Lol.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Peter King thinks the Niners can get a mid-1st for Jimmy this offseason. Um, not sure about that but the draft isn't exactly great at QB. Only thing that hurts is that you have potentially three top level QBs that could be on the move. 

That would be fantastic. There are some teams out there in need. Broncos, WFT, Saints, Steelers, Texans (although Mills has shown some flashes), and maybe more. It'll be an interesting offseason for sure. I'd love to get Sauce Gardner, but that isn't going to happen in the second round. I've found I have not been looking at the draft much this year yet due to us not having a 1st round pick. It'd be fun to get into the draft with a 1st rounder.  

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

link? video?

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Steelers make the most since. I just dont think it's going to be a first in the years draft. To me if a team does offer a 1st it'll be in 2023 as a conditional. We receive a 3rd this year and a 2nd round conditional that can turn into a 1st based on playtime/playoffs. I still think that's alot for Jimmy. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not holding out hope for a first, mainly because that market is insanely limited, it feels like. That's basically counting on Pitt or the Saints, and I think the latter may just keep rolling with Winston and Hill. I could see us maybe pairing a pick with Jimmy to get into that first round range though...maybe it opens up some more options. 

A lot will depend on how the QB musical chairs plays out. As it has gone along, the more and more I have started to believe that most guys are staying. A guy like Matt Ryan for example...I think he's going to stick around Atlanta for another year. Kirk Cousins could get moved, but without a viable backup plan in place, I think it actually makes more sense for the Vikings to draft another guy this year. I don't think that both Wilson and Rodgers get moved...maybe one of them. 

IN the end, still thinking a second this year (that opens the door for teams like Denver, Giants) makes the most sense. 

45 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Steelers make the most since. I just dont think it's going to be a first in the years draft. To me if a team does offer a 1st it'll be in 2023 as a conditional. We receive a 3rd this year and a 2nd round conditional that can turn into a 1st based on playtime/playoffs. I still think that's alot for Jimmy. Lol

Agree with this too. People have to protect from the injury history. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not holding out hope for a first, mainly because that market is insanely limited, it feels like. That's basically counting on Pitt or the Saints, and I think the latter may just keep rolling with Winston and Hill. I could see us maybe pairing a pick with Jimmy to get into that first round range though...maybe it opens up some more options. 

A lot will depend on how the QB musical chairs plays out. As it has gone along, the more and more I have started to believe that most guys are staying. A guy like Matt Ryan for example...I think he's going to stick around Atlanta for another year. Kirk Cousins could get moved, but without a viable backup plan in place, I think it actually makes more sense for the Vikings to draft another guy this year. I don't think that both Wilson and Rodgers get moved...maybe one of them. 

IN the end, still thinking a second this year (that opens the door for teams like Denver, Giants) makes the most sense. 

Den, Pitt, NO, NYG, WFT, MIN and CAR may be looking to move on from their current QB. Doubt Minny would make a move for Jimmy because that would make no sense at all since Cousins is on his level, if not better. WFT may not make a move like this, but they have the pieces to make a playoff run with solid QB play and Jimmy would give them a chance to compete in that division. CAR is really interesting. They really can't go after Jimmy after their trade for Darnold as it now has to be go big or go home. That's the team to really watch for Watson.

Pitt may not feel the need to go with a young QB and could think to themselves that Jimmy can give them better play than Ben and they have pieces on the defensive side of the ball to make another playoff run. 

Depends who the Giants go with and what their plans will be with their two first round picks. They seem like a candidate for someone like Wilson. 

I don't know, still hard to see us getting a first rounder but definitely can see a team giving up a two day 2 picks. Which would still be very solid. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Den, Pitt, NO, NYG, WFT, MIN and CAR may be looking to move on from their current QB. Doubt Minny would make a move for Jimmy because that would make no sense at all since Cousins is on his level, if not better. WFT may not make a move like this, but they have the pieces to make a playoff run with solid QB play and Jimmy would give them a chance to compete in that division. CAR is really interesting. They really can't go after Jimmy after their trade for Darnold as it now has to be go big or go home. That's the team to really watch for Watson.

Pitt may not feel the need to go with a young QB and could think to themselves that Jimmy can give them better play than Ben and they have pieces on the defensive side of the ball to make another playoff run. 

Depends who the Giants go with and what their plans will be with their two first round picks. They seem like a candidate for someone like Wilson. 

I don't know, still hard to see us getting a first rounder but definitely can see a team giving up a two day 2 picks. Which would still be very solid. 

My stance for the longest time has basically been the Alex Smith trade for Jimmy. I think that is very reasonable. Flat second + conditional pick the following year. 

Jeremy Fowler stated on the Barnwell podcast that Pittsburgh would prefer to stick with a vet, so that works in our favor for sure. 

The Giants feel like a team that will go the Bridgewater route. Jones' contract is fully guaranteed (only 8 million dollar hit) so unless they are trading him, there is no merit to just cutting him. This just feels like the Denver Broncos situation from this last year with Drew Lock. 

Personally, with two first round picks, I'd probably move around and see if I can't get back in the first or trade down and then grab a QB in this class. People don't love the class, but I think there's still merit to picking one if maybe you can get them to sit for a year. 

• Like 1