Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

I feel like there's a pretty clear top 16 (Burrow/Tua/Herbert, WRx3, OTx4, Young/Brown/Kinlaw, Simmons, CBx2) but then after that, there's a crazy amount of players who have a chance to go in the back half of R1.

QB: Love

RB: Swift, Taylor, CEH, Dobbins

WR: Jefferson, Mims, Reagor, Higgins, Aiyuk, Shenault, Pittman

TE: Kmet, Harrison Bryant

OT: Jones, Wilson, Jackson, Cleveland

IOL: Ruiz, Cushenberry, Damien Lewis, Robert Hunt

IDL: Blacklock, Madubuike, Marlon Davidson, Gallimore

EDGE: Chaisson, YGM, Epenesa, Okwara, Terrell Lewis

Off LB: Murray, Queen, Baun, Logan Wilson, Jordyn Brooks

CB: Terrell, Fulton, Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, Arnette, Igbinoghene

S: McKinney, Delpit, Winfield Jr, Chinn

That's 45 guys who I've seen in media mock first rounds in the last few days outside of the usual top 16. We genuinely have no idea what's going to happen from 17-32.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

You say that but they did want to draft Patrick Mahomes, he just didn’t fall to them. If they like Herbert or Love enough they’ll pull the trigger, and since this is Brees last year they might be willing to trade a future first.

I wouldn’t rule out them grabbing an impact player at 23 and then packaging their third round pick and a 2021 first to get a late first/early second should Love still be on the board. 

I don't see how that helps them to win now though. A team with Brees coming back for one last dance isn't going to be drafting development QB's, especially if that involves exchanging future 1's in the process. 

Back to Back to Back Mock Draft Champion Charlie Campbell just put out his Semi-Final Mock, his Final ones comes out on draft day. Has Raiders getting Simmons at 12 and Ruggs III at 19. You wouldn’t see me anymore because my heart wouldn’t be able to handle that overwhelming joy. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Back to Back to Back Mock Draft Champion Charlie Campbell just put out his Semi-Final Mock, his Final ones comes out on draft day. Has Raiders getting Simmons at 12 and Ruggs III at 19. You wouldn’t see me anymore because my heart wouldn’t be able to handle that overwhelming joy. 

Who the hell is this guy anyway?  Always just thought he was some bum of the streets Walter brought home to moms basement.  His “sources” always seem completely made up and then Walt and him will later refer to there own rumors they made up as confirmation.   

Seriously though who the heck is Charlie Campbell and why am I supposed to believe he knows people inside nfl front offices?

Just now, BigC421/ said:

Who the hell is this guy anyway?  Always just thought he was some bum of the streets Walter brought home to moms basement.  His “sources” always seem completely made up and then Walt and him will later refer to there own rumors they made up as confirmation.   

Seriously though who the heck is Charlie Campbell and why am I supposed to believe he knows people inside nfl front offices?

I don’t care if he knows people or if he doesn’t know people. His Final Mock posted on Draft Day the past three years in a row has been the most accurate out of the entire media and fans. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This would be insanely ideal but I'm not sure how Simmons falls that far. Anything is possible but man, that's a big fall for his talent

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

This would be insanely ideal but I'm not sure how Simmons falls that far. Anything is possible but man, that's a big fall for his talent

Goes back to my January theory that rankings/mocks during that time are a little more accurate before all the over-think. Simmons at 12 and Ruggs at 19 was a common Media Mock Draft in January. Just like Ferrell at 4 was in January 2019. 

Although, I still definitely don’t expect Simmons/Ruggs to happen. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Pittsburgh 

Oh wait, they traded their QBOTF for Minkah Fitzpatrick

That's why that trade was foolish, even if they love minkah and what he did for them last year with all of those turnovers, it was a dumb trade. 

Your 38 year old QB tears his UCL and your immediate response is to trade away your first round pick for a saftey??? Even if you get a good player back in the trade, and ben comes back and you are good for a year, now you have a much later pick and again have no chance to get your QBOTF, and Ben is a year closer to retirement. 

Sorry but this is an AWFUL take. In the moment yes it looked questionable but it CLEARLY turned out in our favor. So once Ben went down you think we should have just completely tanked our season away for a chance to draft Justin Herbert? Glad you’re not our GM. And newsflash, the chances that Herbert even makes it to 18 is very slim which makes this take even more ludicrous.

We have a minimum of 2 years left with Ben and he claims to feel better than he has in years. I’m not surprised after a full season off to rest and recover. We are going to give it everything we have to get another ring while we still have Ben and every move the FO has made in the last 2 seasons has indicated that.

If we still had our FRP I’d be willing to bet pretty much anything it wouldn’t be spent on Herbert. Hell if we had the first pick I’d be willing to bet we wouldn’t spend it on Burrow. 

Only a fool would take Justin Herbert over a proven all-pro, chess piece, and difference maker in Minkah Fitzpatrick, regardless of their QB situation. That trade completely changed the trajectory of our season, our defense, and our chances at winning a Super Bowl in the Ben window. Do I need to go pull the team statistics from before/after that trade?

Sorry to derail the thread but anyone who still thinks the Steelers shouldn’t have made that trade clearly doesn’t know much about the team or didn’t watch football at all last season.

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Goes back to my January theory that rankings/mocks during that time are a little more accurate before all the over-think. Simmons at 12 and Ruggs at 19 was a common Media Mock Draft in January. Just like Ferrell at 4 was in January 2019. 

Although, I still definitely don’t expect Simmons/Ruggs to happen. 

If I was to pick two players from the top 10 that fall, it would be Simmons and D. Brown. 

A LB/S hybrid and a DT that isn't a penetrator. Those are not top 10 draft spots, historically.  

These front offices can be really conservative, if you are deciding between a 10 year LT, and a guy with no position, I think a lot of these GMs are gonna go safe.  

With SImmons lack of position, and Tua medicals, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tua and Simmons there at #12. Be fun watching Raider Nation descend into chaos if that happened. It would be like The Purge. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Pittsburgh 

Oh wait, they traded their QBOTF for Minkah Fitzpatrick

That's why that trade was foolish, even if they love minkah and what he did for them last year with all of those turnovers, it was a dumb trade. 

Your 38 year old QB tears his UCL and your immediate response is to trade away your first round pick for a saftey??? Even if you get a good player back in the trade, and ben comes back and you are good for a year, now you have a much later pick and again have no chance to get your QBOTF, and Ben is a year closer to retirement. 

So trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick has taken away our chance to draft Justin Herbert? Thank **** we traded for Fitzpatrick then, Herbert is god awful.

The Steelers plan from last offseason was to go all in on this potential super bowl window the next two or so years. The length of contracts they signed and the way they traded up for Devin Bush show how they were pushing for this short window. Roethlisberger was injured last year but they stuck to that plan, hoping that next year will be the year. Say what you will about our chances at actually winning it all, but that's clearly been the plan. Personally, I'm extremely happy with the Fitzpatrick trade. We'd be picking at 18 this year, that is not prime franchise QB range. You talk about having too late a pick to get our QBOTF but we're already too late. And as a final point, having a late first rounder has not stopped teams from getting their guys at QB in recent years. Mahomes and Watson were both gotten in the same draft by teams who traded up to get them. It may cost a steep price but it's worth it if you get a franchise guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

I don’t care if he knows people or if he doesn’t know people. His Final Mock posted on Draft Day the past three years in a row has been the most accurate out of the entire media and fans. 

True. And as hard as these are to do, and no one does that good, in context, it's like what 9 out of the 32?

• Like 1

The Steelers are going all in on Ben's twilight years, and I don't blame them. Their defense is absolutely lights out, they have some nice weapons on the offensive side with a capable OL, and if they get a RB like Dobbins/Swift in the 2nd, they could really make some noise in the AFC and contend. They went .500 with absolutely awful QB play last year, and while Ben isn't "Big Ben" anymore, even if he's only 80% of himself, he's still rock solid and capable of leading them into Super Bowl contention. 

JMHO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I feel like there's a pretty clear top 16 (Burrow/Tua/Herbert, WRx3, OTx4, Young/Brown/Kinlaw, Simmons, CBx2) but then after that, there's a crazy amount of players who have a chance to go in the back half of R1.

QB: Love

RB: Swift, Taylor, CEH, Dobbins

WR: Jefferson, Mims, Reagor, Higgins, Aiyuk, Shenault, Pittman

TE: Kmet, Harrison Bryant

OT: Jones, Wilson, Jackson, Cleveland

IOL: Ruiz, Cushenberry, Damien Lewis, Robert Hunt

IDL: Blacklock, Madubuike, Marlon Davidson, Gallimore

EDGE: Chaisson, YGM, Epenesa, Okwara, Terrell Lewis

Off LB: Murray, Queen, Baun, Logan Wilson, Jordyn Brooks

CB: Terrell, Fulton, Jaylon Johnson, Gladney, Arnette, Igbinoghene

S: McKinney, Delpit, Winfield Jr, Chinn

That's 45 guys who I've seen in media mock first rounds in the last few days outside of the usual top 16. We genuinely have no idea what's going to happen from 17-32.

There's going to be a couple surprises like always too.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Simmons or Brown just may fall in the Jags lap.

The only defender I could even contemplate taking over Simmons would be Young or Okudah.  Thomas is the only OL i'd take over Simmons, and I might not even then.  Burrow is the only QB I'd take over Simmons.  I've said pretty consistently throughout this process, Simmons is the best player in the draft.  If your DC doesn't know how to use him, then you should fire your DC.

• Like 1