Unpopular Opinions: Entertainment edition

TOUCAN

On 2/14/2020 at 10:53 PM, Starless said:

My three hottest film takes:

1. American History X is a garbage film that repeatedly undercuts its purported message.

While I don't agree with this at all, I could see why you'd think this. It's extremely uncomfortable, disturbing, but the message is clear IMO.

1. Gladiator has a paper-thin script .

It absolutely does. And it's still awesome.

1. The Western genre is almost entirely unwatchable.

This is as bad of a take as I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Scorsese was and IS right. Marvel movies are theme park rides. Same can be said for most horror, action, sci-fi and war movies too. Its an accurate description since those movies use the plot to guide the characters ( and audience) to progressively larger and grander set pieces. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, its what people want from those movies. 

He fumbled through the "is it art" thing though. Its a visual medium that expresses something; so its art. 

43 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Scorsese was and IS right. Marvel movies are theme park rides. Same can be said for most horror, action, sci-fi and war movies too. Its an accurate description since those movies use the plot to guide the characters ( and audience) to progressively larger and grander set pieces. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, its what people want from those movies. 

He fumbled through the "is it art" thing though. Its a visual medium that expresses something; so its art. 

I like big dumb movies. You won’t see me advocating for a Marvel movie to be best picture, but I do still love those campy things. Also, art is pretty expansive. There is such a thing as bad art.

If it’s something made in an artistic medium, it’s art. That doesn’t mean it’s not crap.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Completely agree. It's art. It's more like a coke can vs. a Monet. A coke can is still artistic and artwork, but it's commercialized and designed for profit. Monet is what would win the academy. That being said, I love me some coke can movies.

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I like big dumb movies. You won’t see me advocating for a Marvel movie to be best picture, but I do still love those campy things. Also, art is pretty expansive. There is such a thing as bad art.

If it’s something made in an artistic medium, it’s art. That doesn’t mean it’s not crap.

Completely agree. The only one that was actually somewhat artistic was Black Panther. And even that was still pretty campy at times. (It was also one of the best movies that year.)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Completely agree. The only one that was actually somewhat artistic was Black Panther. And even that was still pretty campy at times. (It was also one of the best movies that year.)

Black Panther introduced one of the best movie villains in a very long time, but I would put forth Thor Ragnarok or one of the latter two Captain America movies if I’m putting one to the Academy.

I will also say, Avengers Infinity War and Endgame did an outstanding job making a plot structure that normally doesn’t work work well.

And if you want to make an argument, Shakespeare’s comedies are lowbrow as hell, but they’re high art now. More recent examples in some Mel Brooks movies the same way.

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

Conversely, most Scorcese movies aren't experiences that require a theater, the visual medium in most of his films are nothing special and can be easily conveyed on the small screen.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Completely agree. It's art. It's more like a coke can vs. a Monet. A coke can is still artistic and artwork, but it's commercialized and designed for profit. Monet is what would win the academy. That being said, I love me some coke can movies.

What on Earth made Black Panther somewhat artistic and the other 7 Marvel movies that followed the exact same formula not be? 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What on Earth made Black Panther somewhat artistic and the other 7 Marvel movies that followed the exact same formula not be? 

Yup.  Also it was 2 hrs of T'Challa getting his butt kicked. And who was this “best villain in a long time” bcuz Jordan was completely lackluster as Killmonger.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

By somewhat artistic, I mean like 15% artistic vs. 0% artistic. The cinematography on Black Panther was some of the best I've seen.