Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

On 12/24/2020 at 2:39 PM, Cearbhall said:

Kirk Cousins' contract has most certainly cost the team players they would have otherwise been able to keep. That is the nature of the cap. We just saw a huge salary cap purge this year. Will we see more salary cap casualties next season? I don't know, but if the team cuts Anthony Barr to save money and go with Eric Wilson, Barr would just be the next cap victim owing to the cap squeeze that is largely caused by Kirk Cousins' contract.

Barr should have never been extended in the first place. I’d argue his contract is more of a waste than Cousins. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine if he had even an average 1st month of the season. 

Cousins is still good and young enough to keep our passing attack strong. Now we just need to get more talent on D/ST to help him out.

That being said, I'm also not against drafting a mid round QB to develop. We have the draft capital to do both of these things I believe, even without a 2nd round pick!

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Of course, someone tries to fan the flames again...

Certainly can’t rule it out. 

We know SF is likely ready to move on from Jimmy G, and we know that Kyle Shanahan has always like Cousins. 

I doubt it would be anything like the Stafford deal.

25 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Do it! 

Of course, we'd do it, since Garappolo has no guaranteed money left on his deal, so we could easily get out of it next year, but the question is what would it cost to give SF Cousins' contract?  I wouldn't necessarily want to give them a 1st rounder to take Cousins, but that may be what it would take.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

3-way trade!

Minnesota gets: Watson from Houston
Houston gets: Jimmy G, #12, 2021 1st from SF....#14 from MN
SF gets: Kirk

Jimmy has a trade Clause I don't expect him to want to go to the Texans. But he might waive it to move to your team. 

Cousins is maybe overpaid but he has also probably become underrated..his reputation when you compared to say someone like Stafford is just polar opposite despite Cousins having played better than Stafford over last 6 seasons. I just wanna see one season where Vikings can provide Cousins above average pass protection and see how it goes. 

• Like 1