Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

A health care worker at the Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau, Alaska, developed a severe allergic reaction shortly after receiving the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine Tuesday evening, and had to be hospitalized overnight.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/alaska-health-care-worker-had-severe-allergic-reaction-pfizer-covid-n1251448?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR3w_deZDzXTOZSxlC0IIgI9KrI-uKhLFuL6PfHCFVBaoEJw04R2EMTIFKw

Well hopefully we can still make due despite the miscommunication.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/12/16/pfizer-vaccine-extra-doses-447117

The Pfizer vials are supposed to hold five doses, but pharmacists have found they have enough for a sixth or even a seventh dose. Putting those into use could significantly increase the United States' scarce early supply of the shot, reducing the likelihood of a "vaccine cliff" this spring as demand outpaces supply.

Manufacturers typically overfill vaccine vials to safeguard against spills and other waste, said Erin Fox, a pharmacy expert at University of Utah who monitors drug shortages. “It’s pretty unusual to have a full extra dose or more though — but it does seem to be there!” she said in an email.

But many pharmacists, left confused without federal clarity, threw away hundreds of extra doses since vaccinations began on Monday. In Utah, Fox said, pharmacists are advised to stick to the FDA emergency use guidelines, which dictate that there are five doses.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Well hopefully we can still make due despite the miscommunication.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/12/16/pfizer-vaccine-extra-doses-447117

when my company ran flu clinics, our nurses tended to get 1 to 2 extra doses from those vials as well. Obviously not the same, but this news doesn't surprise me. 

On 12/16/2020 at 5:01 AM, mission27 said:

@TLO and myself, also known as the MoL:

MoL.png

MoL score is our proprietary measure of COVID spread in a given geographical location (country, state, etc.) also known simply as "MoLs."  This was a highly controversial topic on the forum from late March to June, when the MoL decided our time was better served chasing tail rather than trying to educate folks who, to your point Mr. Jets, are largely ignorant and obese.

has he come back yet or did he leave the forum lol

best wishes to all of you going and getting the vaccine and the world thanks you for doing your bit to get the pandemic in the USA under control; the post by @Shanedorf is amazing, the saddest bit is most of the kooks who genuinely think the covid vaccine will give you a bill gates-president xi 5G chip would not read it, and even if they did they'd just say shanedorf is in league with the clintons or whatever to control us

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 8:26 AM, theJ said:

It's imperative that we reach herd immunity with this vaccine, or we may be talking about needing to fund a new vaccine for the new mutated coronavirus next fall.

The vaccines target the spike protein on the virus, and so far there is zero evidence of mutations in the spike proteins 

Computer simulations have shown the likelihood of mutations in the spike protein is very small 

So, from my understanding, it is not as bleak as you would suggest 

A couple of healthcare workers in Alaska have had severe allergic reactions to the vaccine. It's blowing up the news. I wonder how this will imoact roll out? Someone on another forum mentioned this could impact the rate at which we vaccinate people since we'd need to monitor everyone after they receive the vaccine.   I thought it's way too early to draw that conclusion. Time will tell, i suppose.

7 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

has he come back yet or did he leave the forum lol

best wishes to all of you going and getting the vaccine and the world thanks you for doing your bit to get the pandemic in the USA under control; the post by @Shanedorf is amazing, the saddest bit is most of the kooks who genuinely think the covid vaccine will give you a bill gates-president xi 5G chip would not read it, and even if they did they'd just say shanedorf is in league with the clintons or whatever to control us

I accept your thanks on behalf of America for inventing all the vaccines and saving the world 

3 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

A couple of healthcare workers in Alaska have had severe allergic reactions to the vaccine. It's blowing up the news. I wonder how this will imoact roll out? Someone on another forum mentioned this could impact the rate at which we vaccinate people since we'd need to monitor everyone after they receive the vaccine.   I thought it's way too early to draw that conclusion. Time will tell, i suppose.

It shouldn't. The most "severe" reaction was treated with benadryl and an intravenous epinephrine drip. Neither of the reactions were life threatening. 

• Like 1