Packers QB situation

SalvadorsDeli

Rodgers will at least be on the team through 2021. Then it depends on injuries, his performance, Love's etc.

I completely get the pick. AR has taken a step back and is 36. Outside last year, he did have significant injuries which effected his game in 17/18. Getting a succession plan makes sense.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

Rodgers will at least be on the team through 2021. Then it depends on injuries, his performance, Love's etc.

I completely get the pick. AR has taken a step back and is 36. Outside last year, he did have significant injuries which effected his game in 17/18. Getting a succession plan makes sense.

Yeah but not with a quarterback whose decision-making is the bastard child of Favre and Winston.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be that stunning of a pick. 

- This is obviously not a guy who is ready to start full-time anytime soon, and that's good because Rodgers is still obviously viable. There's no immediate pressure on Rodgers or Love here. 

- The Packers have badly struggled to get a decent backup QB for most of the Rodgers era, and it's cost us a few seasons where we had teams that were otherwise playoff caliber. Maybe this works out that we have some nice security for a couple of years.

- If Rodgers stays good, healthy and happy past 2021 or 2022 then you just try to trade Love and get some value back. That's not unprecedented. If Love is so crap that you can't trade him then okay, you take a loss on that pick. That's the risk with any pick, regardless of position. 

- Best case scenario Love takes over in a few years and is a great starter. Worst case scenario, you wasted a first round pick. 

People are overreacting all over the place. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

People are overreacting all over the place. 

Agreed. 80% of this thread has been awful takes. 

Funny how just three months ago the narrative was "Green Bay is the worst 13-3 team ever. Worst team to make the championship game ever." Now the narrative is were a player or two away from repeating and pushing for the Super Bowl. People need to pick a lane.

GB doesn't have any glaring holes. Nothing wrong taking what they felt was BPA and the last talent left in their tier. Love makes 0 impact on the field this year, but I struggle to see what player available to us last night was going to have some huge impact; the board wasn't great. They'll add a weapon today for Rodgers and he'll be happy. 

I'm not enamored with the pick, but its not hard to see the tools Love has. Lafluer thinks he can coach the decision making and footwork up, let him try. He's only mentored and helped coach up RG3, Matt Ryan, and Jared Goff. Think he knows what he's looking at, and if Love is who he wants to hitch his wagon to, I'll trust it

Meh. Don't like the pick but I come from the philosophy of go all in these next couple years and then suck your way to a good QB or talent when the wheels come off but my job is not on the line here. 

I don't mind Love as a prospect (for me he was a 2nd rounder) but people on here are both not giving Love enough credit as a prospect or giving way too much credit to the rest of the board when the Packers drafted. The only 1st round grade that was left for me was Queen and I doubt he puts the Packers over the top.  

IMO I would rather have Love at the end of the 1st then Herbert with the 6th who I also had as a 2nd rounder. 

16 hours ago, malak1 said:

Negative, Sir.

#TankForTrevor

The bears are incapable of doing less than breaking even even when they suck. And are also incapable of doing more than breaking even when they’re good 

• Like 1

My take is if Rodgers is still able to win a title, why are you wasting valuable resources (mainly the 1st round pick but also a 4th) on the only position that will not be on the field to help him win that title?  If they take Gladney or Queen (just for example), maybe their defense becomes good enough to get more stops in the NFCCG next year?  I don't buy the "weak backup QB" argument because you can get a competent backup to help win some games if Rodgers gets hurt from the list of vets that float around every year.  You don't need to waste a 1st round pick on that.  Hate the move.  If you have a Brees or a Brady or a Rodgers, you don't waste their window with 1st round picks designed to replace them.  Give them every chance at help you can until they're gone.

The part of the pick that I scratch my head about is that Rodgers still likely has 2 more years guaranteed to be starting. Personally, I like next year's QB class much better and would've looked for a successor then. I get the concept of letting the QB sit though, so it's not THAT shocking to me. 

If the Packers go get Rodgers another solid weapon or two tonight (deeeeeep WR class after all), the pick will make much more sense. If the office liked Love that much, they had to nab him when they did because he wouldn't be around by their 2nd pick, as opposed to some solid WR/RB options. The drop off at QB is harsh after Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, and maybe Eason. 

If I'm going to criticize it, it's more on the grounds they like Love more than someone they could've gotten next year. I wasn't enamored with him. But the pick's relation to Rodgers? Couldn't care less.

3 minutes ago, titanrick said:

My take is if Rodgers is still able to win a title, why are you wasting valuable resources (mainly the 1st round pick but also a 4th) on the only position that will not be on the field to help him win that title?  If they take Gladney or Queen (just for example), maybe their defense becomes good enough to get more stops in the NFCCG next year?  I don't buy the "weak backup QB" argument because you can get a competent backup to help win some games if Rodgers gets hurt from the list of vets that float around every year.  You don't need to waste a 1st round pick on that.  Hate the move.  If you have a Brees or a Brady or a Rodgers, you don't waste their window with 1st round picks designed to replace them.  Give them every chance at help you can until they're gone.

So that was my take and even if they think Love becomes Patrick Mahomes you're wasting AT LEAST 2 years of his 5 year contract before you have to pay him(much like you did with Rodgers and he panned out obviously) but there is no telling whether or not the team Love takes over is anything close to what Rodgers has now. The Packers are a great team and their window to strike is open now. Its possible Rodgers retires early and they drafted his heir apparent to take over this team but either way that doesnt help them now 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why's that?

Mainly because I'm fine worrying about life after Rodgers when that time comes. Being terrible and shedding large or bad contracts for a few years in a rebuild won't bother me. This is a move that we won't see any dividends for at least two seasons. But if we're lucky enough to get competent QB for another ten years, then its worth it. I'm just impatient

56 minutes ago, titanrick said:

Thankfully this draft is deep at receiver, the same position a rookie can come in and make an impact for us. Queen never made sense for GB. We don't run two ILBs enough to justify it. Or if we take him, then we wasted a lot of money bringing Kirksey in