WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

I agree with that, at the same point, I disagree because all the people snatching up trademarks would make that process extremely hard, as they'd be trying to trademark all the options fans were given.

Maybe if the process was different, like, everyone got in on the potential name change before the owner, and if they weren't trying to do it all of sudden like, in less than a month, then it might of been possible. But considering that's the reality of the situation, I think it was close to impossible, to get both all the legal items completed and processed and have good fan involvement (at least considering they were starting from scratch).

It would of been nice if they could of gotten a whole bunch of options and then allowed either staff and/or fans vote for it. But with so much dragging of the feet to change it, and the other people trademarking, I believe that would of made the legal situation much worse.

Honestly, it seems he's more like the new minority owner, being told to take charge, but check with the majority owner on the legal decisions.

Sounds like Dan Synder has unofficially checked out... and it's Rivera's to do as he please (other than the legal/name changing).

I actually think that's a great comparison, better than Snyder BFF........although Snyder BFF rolls off the tongue better. 

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As I've said all off-season, no coach has succeeded with total control like this outside of Belichick.  And even BB doesn't have team president power. 

Coaches seem to tend to make ****ty GMs... and while I believe Belichick has GM powers, I believe it's been reported he delegates a lot of that power out to scouts.

Also the Patriots don't always have the best drafts, they just maximum what they got and are great at getting overlooked or underutilized veterans.

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Coaches seem to tend to make ****ty GMs... and while I believe Belichick has GM powers, I believe it's been reported he delegates a lot of that power out to scouts.

Also the Patriots don't always have the best drafts, they just maximum what they got and are great at getting overlooked or underutilized veterans.

Which is my point.  Whatever he is doing, it works for them.  No one else has pulled it off.  Holmgren was markedly better once they stripped the GM authority away.  Seattle and Kansas City work very well hand in hand with the coach and front office.....I call that the collaborative approach, which we don't have right now. 

55 minutes ago, Beast said:

As do the Redskins. Kyle Smith and his assistant Tim Grimble and their scouts have mostly run the draft since McCloughan was fired in 2016 after he drafted a bunch of busts but Fuller and Ioannidis. 

Rivera has final say, but those guys do almost all of the work and present it to Rivera & they discuss it. Same way w/ Alex Santos & Richard Mann on the pro personnel side and now Donnie Warren will be in that roll.

Then, they have a contract guy Rob Rogers and they still have Doug Williams. 

56 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Which is my point.  Whatever he is doing, it works for them.  No one else has pulled it off.  Holmgren was markedly better once they stripped the GM authority away.  Seattle and Kansas City work very well hand in hand with the coach and front office.....I call that the collaborative approach, which we don't have right now. 

We have a collaborative approach, if you don’t think so you’re calling Ron Rivera a liar.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

For what its worth I'm hearing Washington Warriors is a done deal.  

I don't like it since it's going to be all military- and NO, I don't have anything against the military . Just don't think it's good as a sports mascot .

I don't need to be reminded of hostilities and guns and dying and wars when I want to watch a football game. 

Edited by RSkinGM

Just now, MKnight82 said:

I think that's whats Dan wants.It was my 1st choice before this all started but when it looked like the name was going away and I thaught about it,really don't want to share a name with another Pro team.Also not sure how you keep the colors and not keep some type of Native American things involved since it hard to tie Warriors to something else using the colors.Lastly if you go a different mascot not sure what you can do as doubt NFL would allow anything weaponish envolved in it.

23 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

.Lastly if you go a different mascot not sure what you can do as doubt NFL would allow anything weaponish envolved in it.

These are my favorite mock ups for Warriors

Washington Warriors Concept (Redskins Reimagning) - Concepts ...

Potential New Names for the Washington Redskins | Bleacher Report ...

Simple, nondescript, with only a few stars to denote military theme 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Would probably be the most disappointing possible result. 

Yes, there are a lot of lame options like “Federals” and “Monunments” out there. That’s true. But DC has always had lame DCish nicknames, from the Senators to the Capitals to the Nationals — so it’s almost fitting with the city’s trend/motif in terms of team naming. At least it would be our lame name.

But Warriors is duplicative of another very popular pro sports team. We’d just be the worse Warriors. And we all know that all the logos and icons and symbology around the name won’t be anything cool, like some of the Warrior ideas that @PARROTHEAD has referenced for example. Knowing Snyder’s knack for shameless, transparent PR grab groveling and Rivera’s fetish for the armed forces, it will just be blatant, uninventive pandering to the military. Which doesn’t interest me in the least. 

Red Wolves would be (virtually) unique. It would be a cool name with some ferocity, some potentially cool imagery for logos and uniforms, and it would also bring some support for an endangered species. And this particular endangered species wouldn’t be offended by us naming the team after them. Players, current and former, are excited about it, as is the fanbase to a great extent. To me, it’s a no brainer. Which is why they’ll of course do the dumb, lame Warriors thing instead.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2