Jamal Adams traded to Seattle

August4th

Just now, Sapo28 said:

He's got two years left on his rookie deal then he can be tagged. Part of what made his contract demands to the Jets so obnoxious. 

Oh, if he's two years plus a tag, then there's no reason to sign him now.

13 hours ago, RayLew52 said:

Jets are lucky to have Douglas, that dude is pointing them in the right direction.. I know I'm biased but he learned from one of the best front offices in the league and he's putting into action..

He's shown he's competent, but can he change the culture of the Jets? I have zero faith in Gase, and expect another mediocre year from the Jets as their talent level isn't nearly enough to compensate for underwhelming coaching. 

Douglas's true test will be- will he fire Gase if it becomes obvious he isn't the right guy? Then, of course, you have Darnold- who once again is put in a less-than-ideal situation. If he doesn't take a big leap next year and the team finishes 7-9; does Douglas move on? How long is the leash? It's also not ideal to have your young (potential) franchise QB go through 3 different coaching schemes in 3-4 years. 

This is where the Jets always trip over themselves. They try to rebuild (or retool), the rebuild (retool) doesn't come to fruition, players don't reach their full potential...rinse and repeat. I understand this isn't Douglas's fault, but he may fall victim to his predecessors mistakes. If the team doesn't progress then there will be pressure to rebuild again, which will likely take another 2-3 years before paying dividends. And unfortunately- in this league-  if a GM hasn't produced a winning season in his first 3-4 years, then he's canned.

Douglas set this team up well for a rebuild if they need to. The issue is- this team has been rebuilding for over a decade. Will ownership give him another couple of years to rebuild the squad if the team doesn't progress in the next two years? I feel like ownership is always going to hold that franchise back. There's no doubt that Douglas is the most competent GM they've had in a long time, so his leash should be longer. 

Edited by WizeGuy

33 minutes ago, ACO said:

I don't understand Seattle not locking him down with that massive haul. He is basically a one year rental right now. Nothing stopping him from bouncing in free agency. 

One year, option year, franchise tag. Seems to be some barriers to free agency...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So Seattle is actually planning to go the Clowney route until next season? "Both sides agreeing before the trade that Jamal would play for his 2020 $3.9M salary with no promises  thereafter"? WTF?

Kind of confirms it was never about the contract. He wanted out which is fine. But just say that and don’t try and throw people under the bus. Joe D held steady. People were assuming that his price was coming down with every tweet.

15 minutes ago, Sapo28 said:

He's got two years left on his rookie deal then he can be tagged. Part of what made his contract demands to the Jets so obnoxious. 

He didn't want to be a Jet. He disliked Gase and ownership. I believe I read reports he'd approach the contract situation differently if he's on a contender. It's going to be interesting to see if his contract demands change.

12 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

He didn't want to be a Jet. He disliked Gase and ownership. I believe I read reports he'd approach the contract situation differently if he's on a contender. It's going to be interesting to see if his contract demands change.

The Gase and ownership thing came recently. Watching the two of them on the sideline, I doubt him disliking Gase was a thing during the season. That’s likely him trying to force a trade.

He wants to play for a contender. He didn’t like the losing. He consistently said that during his 3 years here. You could see the frustration and he would always say things like “I don’t come from losing”. It’s also why his list of landing spots were basically the top 10 teams in a power ranking for the upcoming season.

Edited by SDotNova

9 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

The Gase and ownership thing came recently. Watching the two of them on the sideline, I doubt him disliking Gase was a thing during the season. That’s likely him trying to force a trade.

He wants to play for a contender. He didn’t like the losing. He consistently said that during his 3 years here. You could see the frustration and he would always say things like “I don’t come from losing”. It’s also why his list of landing spots were basically the top 10 teams in a power ranking for the upcoming season.

It's possible, but Gase seems to have this trail of "players who don't/didn't want to play for him" following him around. Of course, none of us are in the locker room, so it's all speculation, but sometimes the phrase "where there's smoke, there's fire" rings true.

Edited by WizeGuy

6 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Headline should be "Jets trade for Bradley McDougald" but what do I know

Bradley McDougald was actually really good a few years ago. Did he fall off a cliff or something? I mean, to get someone whom I consider to be a decent quality starting safety as WELL as multiple firsts and a third... That's a great trade! Especially when you managed to get that for someone who wanted out. Typically, teams don't get ANYTHING of note for guys who are trying to force a trade, aside from that Ramsey deal.

1 minute ago, HoboRocket said:

Bradley McDougald was actually really good a few years ago. Did he fall off a cliff or something? I mean, to get someone whom I consider to be a decent quality starting safety as WELL as multiple firsts and a third... That's a great trade! Especially when you managed to get that for someone who wanted out. Typically, teams don't get ANYTHING of note for guys who are trying to force a trade, aside from that Ramsey deal.

It was a great return for the Jets, but Adams talent level is pretty damn high. Carroll is going to have a field day game planning with him. The dude is versatile as hell. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:
2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

So Seattle is actually planning to go the Clowney route until next season? "Both sides agreeing before the trade that Jamal would play for his 2020 $3.9M salary with no promises  thereafter"? WTF?

Kind of confirms it was never about the contract. He wanted out which is fine. But just say that and don’t try and throw people under the bus. Joe D held steady. People were assuming that his price was coming down with every tweet.

I'm going to assume Adams was told by Snyder/Carroll a deal will be worked out in the coming month or so and Jamal is choosing to believe them. This was absolutely about Money starting back in January. I don't for a second believe Adams wants to or will play 2020 in its entirety for $3.9M.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

That's a massive overpay that everyone would laugh at if the player and picks were reversed.

If you told Seattle fans about this trade offer before it was accepted, they’d laugh too. But they have no choice but to hope for the best now. It’s the optimistic nature of fans.

4 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

He got injured last year but aside from that he's still as good as he always was, which is about an above-average safety.

• Like 1