What movie are you watching?

Forge

2 hours ago, theJ said:

They're on my list.  But the waiting list at the library is about 3 years long haha.

You can get all 7 books for ~$50 in paperback. I like to buy my books. I buy them used though. Very little difference in the quality of the books between used and new. Saves you a fortune.

Edited by beekay414

11 hours ago, theJ said:

I enjoy 5/6/7 a lot more than 1/2.  The early ones are more kid movies.  

I probably haven't fallen in love either though.  I also haven't read the books.

The turn happens in Book 3. Normally, when I reread, I skip 2 entirely. Rowling's writing takes a drastic step forward from 2 to 3 and continues to improve with each book. It's been awhile since I've watched the movies, but I'm sure it follows the same path. 1 and 2 are geared a lot more towards children, series picks up at 3 (I remember that being the case with the movies as well as the books).

Though, as bk said, strongly recommend giving the books a chance. It's an easy and quick read if you fall for them (and books 1-3 are still pretty short, so you can get through Prisoner of Azkaban before deciding if you want to make the larger commitment that is 4-7).

59 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You can get all 7 books for ~$50 in paperback. I like to buy my books. I buy them used though. Very little difference in the quality of the books between used and new. Saves you a fortune.

I've probably got three copies of each book lying around. Got a nice paperback box set for about $35 on Amazon a couple years ago. But yeah, if you just want to find a copy of each, you could probably get them for $3-5 each on ebay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I've probably got three copies of each book lying around. Got a nice paperback box set for about $35 on Amazon a couple years ago. But yeah, if you just want to find a copy of each, you could probably get them for $3-5 each on ebay.

Yep. I usually end up spending ~$50 on books when I splurge and buy them. I can get anywhere from 8-12 books for the price depending on how old the book is. Got the first 15 books in the Jack Reacher series for ~$75. Working on the Aubrey–Maturin series (Master & Commander) now, which I resorted to buying because you can never find a complete set at a library. Plus, they are really good books and worth owning IMO.

Edited by beekay414

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Don't forget the picture books (which exist for the first two books at least iirc)!

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I should clarify.  I read almost exclusively on my kindle.  My wife already has the hard copies, but i do half my reading away from home.  The kindle is much nicer to carry around.

Also, i already pay the library a lot of money in taxes, so i'm not paying for more books haha. (ok it's probably not that much money, but i can afford to be patient and wait for books)

I just watched Emelie on Netflix. While not technically a good film, it was one of the better straight-to-video/limited release films I've seen and better than most of the crap on Netflix (which isn't saying much, but still). It's worth a watch if you're bored out of your skull, I guess.

I also just watched Upgrade the other day, good futuristic film. 

Edited by KManX89

Had a 12 hour flight from Tokyo to Detroit, so got a lot of movie watching in.

I, Tonya: My GF is a huge figure skating fan, so we watched the movie together. Awesome, awesome movie. The style and acting was incredible. Really surprising it took this long for this story to be put into movie form. The real life people are almost too cartoony to believe.

Infinity War: Its a marvel movie, so you know what you are going to get. Entertaining, solid movie. Thanos is pretty cool.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing: It was.... ok. I dont know. Its a really good movie, but not that engaging. In Bruges is a way better watch.

Hot Fuzz: Been a while since I watched it, so I rewatched it. I like it more than Shaun of teh Dead. Need to watch At Worlds End to finish the Cornetto Trilogy.

Heat: Never seen the entire movie in one sitting. Overall fantastic. The dragged out dialogues with each others lovers is the only fault I could find with the movie. Definitely lives up to the hype, and you can see how much it influenced future films.