The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

11 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Arians can turn any QB into a turnover machine. Truly fascinating to see.  

If Brady returns, I’m interested in seeing if the Bucs try their hand with a new HC or play-caller.

Brady signed a two year deal. I would assume he will be back for round two.

People are putting a lot of blame on this season for Arians, and it’s true his system isn’t a great fit for Brady, but his system IS a good fit for Evans/Godwin. The receivers are the strength of the team, and Brady HAS to be able to get the ball to them downfield for this team to be a legit SB contender.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Archimedes said:

People are putting a lot of blame on this season for Arians, and it’s true his system isn’t a great fit for Brady, but his system IS a good fit for Evans/Godwin. The receivers are the strength of the team, and Brady HAS to be able to get the ball to them downfield for this team to be a legit SB contender.

They aren't a SB contender, but what's wrong with getting them the ball in the intermediate or short? Godwin is great on screens. Evans is a deep threat for sure, but they don't even try him on slants in front of the defenders faces. Why not? It's like they believed their own hype and thought they could and should put on a display every game. There's no pragmatism. Even when NE had Moss destroying everything deep, we still had an effective screen game with Faulk etc. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They aren't a SB contender, but what's wrong with getting them the ball in the intermediate or short? Godwin is great on screens. Evans is a deep threat for sure, but they don't even try him on slants in front of the defenders faces. Why not? It's like they believed their own hype and thought they could and should put on a display every game. There's no pragmatism. Even when NE had Moss destroying everything deep, we still had an effective screen game with Faulk etc. 

That was when Brady was still a surgeon. He’s still effective at that stuff, but he’s not as potent as he was when he was in his prime. I agree they can use it a little more, but Tampa’s go to stuff with the money on the line is going to be getting the ball in the playmakers hands downfield. Better to work out the bugs now than in the playoffs...

And I still think they’re a SB contender. The Saints look pretty beastly but as we’ve seen in the playoffs the last two years they’re not unbeatable. All the other top teams in the NFC, Sea, GB, and LAR, are good but also flawed, and not unbeatable either. TB is 7-5 with their last two losses coming by a combined 6 points to 2 teams that are combined 17-5. They should be able to get to 10 wins at minimum and get in the playoffs, and they’ll at least have a punchers chance.

14 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

Oh well, Arians seems determined to see his offense wins. At this point I just hope we don't see Brady ending his career after a big injury, because he's standing there still absorbing hits trying to connect deep. Just sad to watch.

It is sad to watch how timid he is, in fear of the slightest contact.  How bad his pocket presence is for a "GOAT" - seriously he doesn't even try to slide left or right in the pocket he just stands there staring at receivers. 

Edited by Saint_James
typo

Bucs coaching has been pretty bad, no doubt about that.  That being said, Brady knew what he was getting into, I’m sure he wanted to play in that type of offense with those weapons.

And the Bucs aren’t down for the count by any means.  If they start playing up to their potential they can beat anybody.

2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

That was when Brady was still a surgeon. He’s still effective at that stuff, but he’s not as potent as he was when he was in his prime. I agree they can use it a little more, but Tampa’s go to stuff with the money on the line is going to be getting the ball in the playmakers hands downfield. Better to work out the bugs now than in the playoffs...

And I still think they’re a SB contender. The Saints look pretty beastly but as we’ve seen in the playoffs the last two years they’re not unbeatable. All the other top teams in the NFC, Sea, GB, and LAR, are good but also flawed, and not unbeatable either. TB is 7-5 with their last two losses coming by a combined 6 points to 2 teams that are combined 17-5. They should be able to get to 10 wins at minimum and get in the playoffs, and they’ll at least have a punchers chance.

That team is not a SB contender.  At this rate they should be thankful to limp into the playoffs.   The Vikings match up very well with them and apparently Atlanta is now capable of blowing teams out so TB's remaining games will be interesting. 

Tampa Bay is not a great football team.  It's like people think Brady will just turn on some magic and make a post-season run, but those days are over.   The "magic" was in New England.

I'm listening to Sean Salisbury - he's mentioned how the Bucs don't do much (if any) pre snap motion. They'll motion a RB from out wide into the shotgun, but that's the extent of it.

Part of Brady's MO in reading pre-snap was motioning guys to see how the defense responds. Brady then identifies where the opening is and adjusts to that, dropping passes to the horizontal routes, which will eventually open up the deep crosser and corner routes. Bruce Arians isn't even thinking that direction right now, and Brady looks hesitant due to it. 

If this is going to work, Arians needs to go to this.

25 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm listening to Sean Salisbury - he's mentioned how the Bucs don't do much (if any) pre snap motion. They'll motion a RB from out wide into the shotgun, but that's the extent of it.

Part of Brady's MO in reading pre-snap was motioning guys to see how the defense responds. Brady then identifies where the opening is and adjusts to that, dropping passes to the horizontal routes, which will eventually open up the deep crosser and corner routes. Bruce Arians isn't even thinking that direction right now, and Brady looks hesitant due to it. 

If this is going to work, Arians needs to go to this.

A lot of guys are saying this. Orlovsky the same.

The Bucs offense is just too predictable and zero creativity.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RUGmen said:

A lot of guys are saying this. Orlovsky the same.

The Bucs offense is just too predictable and zero creativity.

And that doesn't work with a cerebral guy like Brady. Brady is like a guy who studies Kung Fu, sets up his strikes and takedowns in advance. Arians is a guy with a baseball bat, he's just going to bludgeon someone with very little thought.

It's completely different stylistically. Brady can't change mid flight, so it's on Arians to make changes to his philosophy.

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah because it was a 16-0 roster with the NFL's easiest schedule, plus we still didn't make the playoffs. To go from 16-0 to 11 wins doesn't sound too bad, but what about going from 9-7 to 4-12? Same differential....it was a failure of a season 

Log off, put away those warrior fingers, you don't know what you're talking about.

Whoa there, such aggro....

I clearly know what I'm talking about.  Who built that stacked team?  Who coached that stacked team?   This entire argument is about Brady being more important than Bill Bellicheck and the Patriots organization, so I introduced evidence to counter that narrative.    They took a career journeyman QB, plugged him into that system, and had a good season.    11-5 was a good season and you know it was just plain bad luck they missed the playoffs that year.  Any other year 11-5 would have got them a spot.   Failure of a season?  That's.....okay your opinion I guess.

In my defense, there's not a ton of tangible evidence to help me make my case.   There was 2008, and the crapshow that is 2020.  But I feel I made my case in good faith, and I don't deserve your scorn for it.

You can't say someone with a different opinion doesn't know what he's talking about just because you disagree.