The Good, Bad, Ugly vs Buffalo

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

There's just no way that you can blame Carr for our losses, our offense is putting up numbers that are almost identical to the 2019 Super Bowl Champion Chiefs numbers last season buddy. Even Peyton Manning went 6-10 with a defense that allowed 30+ ppg...

Was it Carr's fault that Waller turned it over on a possession when we were driving and had a chance to tie the game?

Was it Carr's fault that Carlson missed a FG when we were driving and had a chance to tie the game last week? 

This goes both ways though. Was it the defenses fault when the team turned it over twice at midfield during the Patriot game? Defense was playing lights out first 25 minutes and the offense put them in a terrible situation twice. The offense completely killed the momentum and feel of the game with that second turnover. 

The defense is trash this year from the DL, LB’s, Erik Harris, and PG. However on offense we need to get our WR’s back, the run blocking has been horrible, and we have been turning over the ball like crazy. 

Carr has had an above-average season but you are really overrating him and the offense as a whole. Carr had an absolutely terrific game against the Saints, but three ok games besides that. If you think any of those three games were good, you need to stop box score scouting Carr. Carr is a Box Score Champion. Doesn’t tell the whole story. He was playing in garbage time in both the past two weeks, has been fumbling like a mad man this season, throwing short of the chains on 3rd down constantly past two games (I was very impressed with him he didn’t do this the first two games). He’s also had his massive red zone struggles over the years. Comparing us to the 2019 Chiefs is quite laughable also. Go watch the 2019 Chiefs. Way more efficient and way more consistent. Also, those numbers don’t mean much. The NFL is on pace to shatter Touchdown records, point records, and fantasy records this season. 

I haven’t been upset with Carrs season and I don’t think he has cost us a game himself. However, not exactly having a killer season like his job is on the line. He hasn’t had a bad game this year but the Saint game was the only “wow that was a great game” performance from Carr. The other three were just ok games. 

I would love for Carr to finally step up and show something against the Chiefs. He doesn’t have to win but I’d love for him to show some confidence and have a great game. His confidence sinks to an all time low almost every Chief game. 

Carr can please a lot of people this week, or upset a lot of people this week. 

Edited by BayRaider

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr has had an above-average season but you are really overrating him and the offense as a whole. Carr had an absolutely terrific game against the Saints, but three ok games besides that. If you think any of those three games were good, you need to stop box score scouting Carr. Carr is a Box Score Champion. Doesn’t tell the whole story. He was playing in garbage time in both the past two weeks, has been fumbling like a mad man this season, throwing short of the chains on 3rd down constantly past two games (I was very impressed with him he didn’t do this the first two games). 

I haven’t been upset with Carrs season and I don’t think he has cost us a game himself. However, not exactly having a killer season like his job is on the line. He hasn’t had a bad game this year but the Saint game was the only “wow that was a great game” performance from Carr. The other three were just ok games. 

I think that Carr has been pretty damn impressive so far this season, especially considering our running game has taken a step back, our OL hasn't been as good in pass protection, and we've been without our top 3 WR's for most of the season. 

I've watched every snap that Carr has played this season so I'm definitely not box score scouting. Against the Panthers he had a strong drive in the 4th quarter to lead us down the field and put us in a position to win the game late and against the Saints he put on a master class performance. 

Last week he led us down the field at the end of the 1st half to get within 3, then led us down the field again with a chance to tie but Carlson missed the kick, and in the 4th led us down the field with a chance to cut the Patriots lead to 6 in the 4th quarter but Gruden went conservative with his play calling. This week he led us down the field at the end of the first to get within 4, led us down the field with a chance to take the lead but Gruden elected for 3 again, and was leading us down the field in the 4th quarter with a chance to tie the game before Waller's fumble killed it for us. 

The last two weeks we've been in a position to tie the game in the second half but Carlson missed a FG and Waller fumbled the ball and both of those mistakes were followed by immediate scores by our opponents that pushed their lead to two scores. We were competitive in both games against playoff teams and without those mistakes we could easily be 4-0 to start the year. 

Carr's on pace for 4,350 yards, 32 TD, 8.0 Y/A, and 73% completion and he isn't playing like his job is on the line. Doing that with Agholor, Renfrow, and Jones as his top 3 WR? Give me a break. 

• Like 3

My thoughts through the firs 4:

Carr - He not the problem, but he's not the solution. He's a serviceable QB who plays annoyingly conservative. It feels like there is zero sense of urgency on offense despite their success. Gruden has done a great job scheming the offense. Guys get open but Carr still doesn't want to take those shots often enough. Accept that's who he is and always will be. He can throw the occasional dime, but he's never going to cook out there. 

For as successful as the offense has been, it seems so hard for them. They look slow and frustratingly conservative the majority of the time. Gruden always calling not to lose games and protecting the ball. Which Carr has taken to the ridiculous where he throws short of the sticks on 3rd downs repeatedly. 

Defense - there is nothing left to say here. Guether's crew is ranked 31 or 32 by every defensive measure in his Raider tenure. Granted, they have a lot of young players but they looks lost, flatfooted and lacking in fundamentals. They have no identity. No playmaker. It's as frustrating to watch as I can remember. 

Bottom line: This team doesn't look like they are having any fun. Even in the 2 wins, they've looked relieved to be in the game. Lumbering through 60 mins of "keep it close" conservative play.

While other teams are willing to trade for impact type players, the Raider continue to trot out a guy like Eric Harris, a liability who should be in rotation and content on young CBs getting baptized by fire. In the AFC West of all confeences, there should be an emphasis on defense and they should be moving mountains to find some resemblance of identity and skill. They flat out are not doing it. Bad draft picks (Ferrell looking really bad now). Bad FA signings (Littleton, looking like product of the Rams more than an individual standout) and Nassib.

Team is not going anywhere anytime soon until they commit to 1) Firing Guenther 2) Hiring the right DC 3) Adding some actual talent on that side of the ball. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Bad FA signings (Littleton, looking like product of the Rams more than an individual standout) 

I thought Littleton played pretty well today. 7 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 missed tackles (first time this season) and he held up in coverage. The only two catches in his area were an early throw to Diggs and a throw to the TE when Guenther had Nassib dropping back into coverage in the same area for whatever reason. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Carr - He not the problem, but he's not the solution. He's a serviceable QB who plays annoyingly conservative. It feels like there is zero sense of urgency on offense despite their success. Gruden has done a great job scheming the offense. Guys get open but Carr still doesn't want to take those shots often enough. Accept that's who he is and always will be. He can throw the occasional dime, but he's never going to cook out there. 

For as successful as the offense has been, it seems so hard for them. They look slow and frustratingly conservative the majority of the time. Gruden always calling not to lose games and protecting the ball. Which Carr has taken to the ridiculous where he throws short of the sticks on 3rd downs repeatedly. 

Defense - there is nothing left to say here. Guether's crew is ranked 31 or 32 by every defensive measure in his Raider tenure. Granted, they have a lot of young players but they looks lost, flatfooted and lacking in fundamentals. They have no identity. No playmaker. It's as frustrating to watch as I can remember. 

Bottom line: This team doesn't look like they are having any fun. Even in the 2 wins, they've looked relieved to be in the game. Lumbering through 60 mins of "keep it close" conservative play.

While other teams are willing to trade for impact type players, the Raider continue to trot out a guy like Eric Harris, a liability who should be in rotation and content on young CBs getting baptized by fire. In the AFC West of all confeences, there should be an emphasis on defense and they should be moving mountains to find some resemblance of identity and skill. They flat out are not doing it. Bad draft picks (Ferrell looking really bad now). Bad FA signings (Littleton, looking like product of the Rams more than an individual standout) and Nassib.

Team is not going anywhere anytime soon until they commit to 1) Firing Guenther 2) Hiring the right DC 3) Adding some actual talent on that side of the ball. 

I just wrote something similar in another thread. Everything we get is like pulling teeth. It looks like such a strain. Even in the wins they ain't having much fun during the game. No creativity. Which young players crave. Your statement was perfect. It looks like they are lumbering through 60 mins. I also think it's why injuries pile up. Ravens, kc, rams, and a bunch of other teams isn't going through this. Abram going keep getting hurt cause the way he play and he feels he has to make every single play. 

Raiders draft long arm CBs who can press at the LOS and jam a WR to slow down their route... 3rd and long. Soft coverage giving a 7-10 yard cushion for the easy first down. Just never makes sense. And it happens all the times 3rd and long for teams might as well be 3rd and 1. 

We saw the defense play an aggressive play style for 2 quarters so far this season and when they did it was the best defense we seen from this group. 

Also can’t imagine the players having any confidence in PG anymore. Knowing they’re not being put in a position to succeed. Changed need to be made and if they’re not made after the KC game then let’s just get this top 10 pick. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This.

carr isn’t gonna win us any games (Maybe 1 a year) but he can manage tf out of one giving a almost perfect situation. 

defense’s best player Imo is mo right now. That’s inexcusable. Pg has no control over the defense. My biggest thing is tackling and we suck at it which falls on the dc. 

our roster needs talent not Mayock sleepers who have yet to wake up. Especially on defense. Our roster On paper it seriously looks like we’re playing to tank. 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

Carr deserves a better coaching staff, supporting cast, and especially fanbase. This team is rudderless and hopelessly untalented on Sunday. I wonder what a team like the Bears would be willing to give up for him. I wonder if Carr would even play for anyone else.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That times a million. I said it in the hypothetical thread. Carr is not a bad QB but he is not the QB for this team. 

Carr is good enough to make sure you don’t get a high draft pick to replace him but not good enough to where your more then 7-9 or 8-8. Just leaves this team in a limbo mode.

Carr would be a great QB 10 years ago when being a game manager could win you games. It’s just not a serviceable thing to do in the NFL now. 

You either take a chance a understand the risk your taking in replacing Carr or just accept being mediocre until he retires. 

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders draft long arm CBs who can press at the LOS and jam a WR to slow down their route... 3rd and long. Soft coverage giving a 7-10 yard cushion for the easy first down. Just never makes sense. And it happens all the times 3rd and long for teams might as well be 3rd and 1. 

We saw the defense play an aggressive play style for 2 quarters so far this season and when they did it was the best defense we seen from this group. 

Also can’t imagine the players having any confidence in PG anymore. Knowing they’re not being put in a position to succeed. Changed need to be made and if they’re not made after the KC game then let’s just get this top 10 pick. 

To be fair, on rewatching the game it seems we were trying to takeway the big strikes from Allen by playing a little soft. First watch through I thought the D was terrible but on rewatching I can see what they were trying to do and it could have worked. After reflection, the game hinged on 2 or 3 key moments and that's where we made the big errors. The Bills just had the accuracy when it counted and we were inaccurate.

The first was when Robertson went in for Joyner and got caught ball watching, just such an obvious play to pick on the rookie and he really should have known better, just cant be doing that but it is a rookie error. We just never seem to pick on the oppositions rookie errors 

The second was the illegal formation on the Agholor 'touchdown', this really hurts as it wasn't a hold or something that really affected the play and another pure player error.

Then there was the Waller fumble when we're driving well and looking to change momentum. Good play by Norman but its just a back breaker for us, Walker had a good game so not going to be too hard but it's very costly. 

In summation, it really didn't look that terrible on second view, the Bills are a very good team, excellently coached and we really should have won despite having no pass rush and starting our #3, 4 & 5 WRs. If we can generate even an average pass rush I still think we're a team that should be challenging for the pkayoffs. The pass rush has to be the No. 1 priority as it'll make everything else start to work.  

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Carr would be a great QB 10 years ago when being a game manager could win you games. It’s just not a serviceable thing to do in the NFL now. 

I don't think that's true. You can win with a game managing QB if you have a talented offense around them and a good defense. 

On the season Carr's averaging 274 ypg, 7.6 Y/A, and 5.1 completed air yards per completion. 

The 49ers made the Super Bowl last year with Jimmy G averaging 249 ypg, 8.3 Y/A, and 5.5 completed air yards per completion. 

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2018 with Brady averaging 272 ypg, 7.6 Y/A, and 6.0 completed air yards per completion.

The weapons they had around Jimmy G and Brady are comparable to what we have around Carr too in terms of talent. But the reason those two teams made the SB and we're a bottom feeder is because they both had defenses that ranked near the top of the league in points allowed and takeaways while we are probably the worst in the league at both.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think that's true. You can win with a game managing QB if you have a talented offense around them and a good defense. 

On the season Carr's averaging 274 ypg, 7.6 Y/A, and 5.1 completed air yards per completion. 

The 49ers made the Super Bowl last year with Jimmy G averaging 249 ypg, 8.3 Y/A, and 5.5 completed air yards per completion. 

The Patriots won the Super Bowl in 2018 with Brady averaging 272 ypg, 7.6 Y/A, and 6.0 completed air yards per completion.

The weapons they had around Jimmy G and Brady are comparable to what we have around Carr too in terms of talent. But the reason those two teams made the SB and we're a bottom feeder is because they both had defenses that ranked near the top of the league in points allowed and takeaways while we are probably the worst in the league at both.  

You think we can get a number 1-5  defense and a creative play caller like Kyle or Josh McDaniels. That's what you going to need with a game manager. Oh and your gm and coaching staff better be good cause to get those things you cant have 30% of your cap spent on the oline like we do. So I dont think we are getting any of that stuff with gruden here. Unless he going to bring in a better coaching staff, stop drafting projects early in drafts.actually spend money or trade for differences makers on defense. I dont see how carr seriously wins here. 

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

You think we can get a number 1-5  defense and a creative play caller like Kyle or Josh McDaniels. That's what you going to need with a game manager. Oh and your gm and coaching staff better be good cause to get those things you cant have 30% of your cap spent on the oline like we do. So I dont think we are getting any of that stuff with gruden here. Unless he going to bring in a better coaching staff, stop drafting projects early in drafts.actually spend money or trade for differences makers on defense. I dont see how carr seriously wins here. 

Yeah unless we improve tenfold on defense it will be tough to win with Carr.