Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

On 2/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

Naw is see Ted Ginn jr clone

He led rookie WR in yards of separation per route meaning he was getting open more often than not. Gruden just forgot that he could use him on plays other than streaks 30 yards down field. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we do lose Agholor, the ways we gotta get better:

-Ruggs/Edwards jump

-More Foster play time

-Jacobs finally getting more passing game use (he can unlock this part of his game)

Good teams are built through the draft. We've spent significant draft capital on skill position players in the past few classes, you draft those guys to play. I'd be happy with bringing in a vet on a team friendly deal like Desean Jackson but I wouldn't pay top dollar for a free agent WR.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 7:58 AM, NYRaider said:

He led rookie WR in yards of separation per route meaning he was getting open more often than not. Gruden just forgot that he could use him on plays other than streaks 30 yards down field. 

That and Carr kept looking for Agholor.  It is funny because Ruggs and Agholor almost have the same production per target.  Hopefully Ruggs gets the lion share of targets and and John Brown gets the number looks Ruggs got last year.

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A lot of misses here from Carr and a some from Ruggs as well. Imagine if they connected on 4 or 5 more of these. I'd like to see this deep target # double with Agholor gone and I'd like to see around half convert with an offseason between them.

He is fast he runs effortlessly. He can beat double coverage with sheer speed. With a little help with his route running he will be open all day long.

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

A lot of misses here from Carr and a some from Ruggs as well. Imagine if they connected on 4 or 5 more of these. I'd like to see this deep target # double with Agholor gone and I'd like to see around half convert with an offseason between them.

He was only targeted on 9 intermediate routes which is where he thrived at Alabama. I still get the sense Gruden didn't know how to use him in the offense. Kept trying to make him Cliff Branch running deep routes and trying to catch YOLO balls from Carr. 

I'd like to see him in a more refined route tree this year with opportunities to make plays. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

He was only targeted on 9 intermediate routes which is where he thrived at Alabama. I still get the sense Gruden didn't know how to use him in the offense. Kept trying to make him Cliff Branch running deep routes and trying to catch YOLO balls from Carr. 

I'd like to see him in a more refined route tree this year with opportunities to make plays. 

Agree with this. How many short crossing routes or slants did he run also? Can't remember many but guys like Hill get a lot of opportunities like that. It would seem quite opportune as the DBs have to give him cushion because if his speed so he should frequently be open. Bit disappointed with the effort shown by Ruggs on a few of those balls if I'm honest though.......

Edited by Darbsk

13 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Look how many times he took on a double team. No one‘s double teaming lamb Jeudy or Jefferson like that

Edited by Jeremy408

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I don't know if it's the effort or just poor ball tracking.

Yeh, it could very well be. That is a good point as he's clearly not at Vmax on most and has room to accelerate onto the ball it looks like. I've no idea how or if he could clean that up however!

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, it could very well be. That is a good point as he's clearly not at Vmax on most and has room to accelerate onto the ball it looks like. I've no idea how or if he could clean that up however!

I think it’s partly tracking, but also perhaps confidence. I thought he played tentatively last year. You would see it in how he went down after contact and almost leaned into tackles at times. He never looked 100% comfortable and playing confidently

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

I think it’s partly tracking, but also perhaps confidence. I thought he played tentatively last year. You would see it in how he went down after contact and almost leaned into tackles at times. He never looked 100% comfortable and playing confidently

I remember reading that he didn't like football growing up because he didn't like the contact.  I think I kind of saw that in the way he played this past season.

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That doesn't bode well. 😬

I think packing on muscle will help.  He needs to learn how to go down without getting himself wrecked.  I think he'll still be a good gadget player to have, just not much more than that.