Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Just to remind those who maybe didn't fully read the opening post, the reason for extending or trading Carr has to do with capitalizing on the 2021 free agency class. If the Raiders don't cut or extend Carr, it will be much tougher for the Raiders to improve in free agency without making another move that could create even more holes on the roster, like cutting Trent Brown.

Trent Brown IS a roster hole. He doesn't play. I don't care what his "potential" is. He. Does. Not. Play.

His biggest impact so far was nearly screwing the entire starting O-line out of playing because he can't follow some very simple rules. 

Extend Carr, that's fine, though I still argue shortsighted as he'll only get cheaper and we have plenty of unusable waste on the team to part ways with for space (Williams, Joyner, Brown, Nassib, Mariota, Incognito, Harris, Littleton, etc). 

Why do we need all sorts of major cap space? More bad FA whiffs? Who cares. I don't want to extend anyone yet. And probably won't in the near future either.

39 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

According to overthecap, without any moves made, we will have (-12m) in cap space. 

This largely because of the projected cap is expected to decrease significantly.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/las-vegas-raiders/

Cutting Mariota, Williams and Incognito would put us at +16. That looks like easy moves to make since those guys hardly played this season. Then you have Brown, Jackson, Joyner, Richard and Heath who could clear up to 39M more. Pretty easy to get to 55M in cap space without adressing Carr's contract if that's what you want to do. And if that's not enough, Carr's contract can be restructured (with voidable years added) to push some money into future years when the cap will hopefully be back to a higher number.

Edited by oakdb36

16 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Rick Mirer, Andrew Walter, Kerry Collins, Marques Tuiasosopo, Aaron Brooks, Josh McCown, Daunte Culpepper, Jamarcus Russell, Charlie Frye, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Carson Palmer (who many fans practically despised), Terrelle Pryor, Matt McGloin, and Matt Flynn come through.

Good times 😁😁🍻

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Cutting Brown, Williams, Joyner, Incognito would save a small fortune ? 

Maybe read or re-read the opening post. The premise of these options with Carr includes cutting players and why that is not enough. I think cutting Williams, Joyner, and Mariota are virtually foregone conclusions. Cutting Gabe Jackson is also more likely than not, and would save nearly $10 million--giving the team approximately $33 million to spend under next year's projected cap before re-signing any other their own. Extending Carr would give the Raiders a lot more wiggle room in what I consider to be a great free agent class.

35 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Why do we need all sorts of major cap space? More bad FA whiffs? Who cares. I don't want to extend anyone yet. And probably won't in the near future either.

Do you think the roster is currently good where it is? Also, Trent Brown has been good. It's not potential.

37 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

Cutting Mariota, Williams and Incognito would put us at +16. That looks like easy moves to make since those guys hardly played this season. Then you have Brown, Jackson, Joyner, Richard and Heath who could clear up to 39M more. Pretty easy to get to 55M in cap space without adressing Carr's contract if that's what you want to do. And if that's not enough, Carr's contract can be restructured (with voidable years added) to push some money into future years when the cap will hopefully be back to a higher number.

Cutting all those players also leaves the team without starters at key positions. To me, Mariota, Williams, and Joyner are no-brainer cuts. Brown and Incognito are less so, because when they're on the field they play well. The offensive line has been bad this year and cutting both wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. I would much rather go into 2020 with Brown and Incognito than without.

The Richard and Heath contracts are too inconsequential to mention in this discussion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolni said:

You wait.

No need to rush, his current salary is solid.

You check how the draft goes...maybe we will draft a young gun, maybe not...

You check how Carr plays in 2021 with an improved roster, a hopefully lot better D with the new DC...then you make a decision after the 2021 season. 

This. 

I think those 3 and no brainers... brown maybe gone if we need the cap space....if you think about it, most of the starters will already be under contract for 2021 

QB: DC

RB: Jacobs 

WR: Ruggs, ??? , Renfrow 

TE: Waller, Moreau

T: Miller, Brown 

G: Jackson, Richie 

Center: Hudson

DE: Crosby/Ferrell, ???

DT: ???, ???

MLB: Kwit 

OLB: Littleton, ???

CB: Mullen, Arnette, Amik 

S: Abram, ?????

I see us needing 6 starters, and you figure the 1st, and 2nd rounders should be counted on as starters. Would need to find 4 starters in free agency, then fill out the roster with cheap vets and mid to late round picks. No bad at all. I think Richie and Brown both on the bubble if we have upgrades in free agency. 

14 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think those 3 and no brainers... brown maybe gone if we need the cap space....if you think about it, most of the starters will already be under contract for 2021 

QB: DC

RB: Jacobs 

WR: Ruggs, ??? , Renfrow 

TE: Waller, Moreau

T: Miller, Brown 

G: Jackson, Richie 

Center: Hudson

DE: Crosby/Ferrell, ???

DT: ???, ???

MLB: Kwit 

OLB: Littleton, ???

CB: Mullen, Arnette, Amik 

S: Abram, ?????

I see us needing 6 starters, and you figure the 1st, and 2nd rounders should be counted on as starters. Would need to find 4 starters in free agency, then fill out the roster with cheap vets and mid to late round picks. No bad at all. I think Richie and Brown both on the bubble if we have upgrades in free agency. 

Keep Morrow and Hurst as well IMO.  Hurst is the best we got, might as well keep him as a rotational piece.  Morrow is good.  Bryan Edwards may develop, but we should definitely keep Agholor as our #2 WR.  He will always need to work on his drops, but he's had so many money plays not to give him a reasonable long term contract.  He's like Seth Roberts, and I liked him too lol.  We definitely need more depth at a lot of positions, I still want way more sacks.  I say our biggest needs are definitely pass rushing DT and FS.

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Yeah I don’t see the big issue tbh, plenty of obvious moves gives us wiggle room in FA, trick is getting the right players in.

42 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Cutting all those players also leaves the team without starters at key positions. To me, Mariota, Williams, and Joyner are no-brainer cuts. Brown and Incognito are less so, because when they're on the field they play well. The offensive line has been bad this year and cutting both wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. I would much rather go into 2020 with Brown and Incognito than without.

The Richard and Heath contracts are too inconsequential to mention in this discussion.

So you don’t want to cut Brown and Incognito despite them barely being on the field this year but do want to cut Jackson who has played and is cheaper than Brown ? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dessie said:

So you don’t want to cut Brown and Incognito despite them barely being on the field this year but do want to cut Jackson who has played and is cheaper than Brown ? 🤷‍♂️

Brown and Incognito have proven to be good-great when on the field. Jackson has proven to be bad-average when on the field. Also, tackle is a much much more important position than guard.

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Brown and Incognito have proven to be good-great when on the field. Jackson has proven to be bad-average when on the field. Also, tackle is a much much more important position than guard.

Incognito is 37yo coming off an Achilles injury due to earn $6.3m much rather keep Jackson and Brown has missed far too much time to be worth $14m next year. 

3 hours ago, Jerry said:

Keep Morrow and Hurst as well IMO.  Hurst is the best we got, might as well keep him as a rotational piece.  Morrow is good.  Bryan Edwards may develop, but we should definitely keep Agholor as our #2 WR.  He will always need to work on his drops, but he's had so many money plays not to give him a reasonable long term contract.  He's like Seth Roberts, and I liked him too lol.  We definitely need more depth at a lot of positions, I still want way more sacks.  I say our biggest needs are definitely pass rushing DT and FS.

I’m for getting Hankins, Nellie, Booker, Good, and Morrow on new good deals. 

I didn’t even listen the key reserves we have under contract in 2021: Richard, Edwards, Renfrow, Moreau, Parker, James, Simpson, Nassib, Hurst, Johnson, Heath. Almost have a key reserve for every unit. Not bad 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1