Brian Daboll is the real deal. Should be a HC Next year. Jags or Bolts best fits

brushmyhair

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

VanS will never fail to remind us of the times he was right but continuously fail to remind us about his thoughts on Josh Dobbs. I hope 2021 will change this.

Nothing has changed with regard to my opinion on Dobbs.  I still expect him to be a superstar NFL QB.  He's still only 25 years old.  Aaron Rodgers didn't become a full-time starter until he was nearly 25.  Both Warren Moon and Kurt Warner were 28 years old during their first season as a NFL starter.  All three ended up being Hall of Famers.

Its only a matter of time before Dobbs explodes. 

Edited by VanS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanS said:

Nothing has changed with regard to my opinion on Dobbs.  I still expect him to be a superstar NFL QB.  He's still only 25 years old.  Aaron Rodgers didn't become a full-time starter until he was nearly 25.  Both Warren Moon and Kurt Warner were 28 years old during their first season as a NFL starter.  All three ended up being Hall of Famers.

Its only a matter of time before he explodes. 

Say It Again Paul Rudd GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 10

17 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Forget stats. Anyone who actually watches Herbert NFL tape and isn't highly impressed and sees already a top 5 to 6 qb, does not know how to assess qb play and talent.

So I have to question 1 of 2 things. Either you haven't seen many or any Herbert games or you don't know how to assess qb talent.  How is Herbert not like Allen, only much more refined his rookie year over Allen's rookie year.

Big stature, mobile, athletic, big arms, elite arm talent, make any throw, throw on the run. Like what are you watching that you aren't impressed 🤣🤣 legit question. 

I'm not being a homer.. Herbert pops on film, any game you watch. Even his avg or bad games. I have to suspect you just haven't watched any Chargers games.

Slow down.  I like Herbert, but who are you taking Herbert over?

Mahomes

Rogers

Wilson

Allen

Brady

Watson

Herbert is tracking towards and in 2 or 3 years will probably be a top 5 QB.  But he ain't there yet.  And no, hes not an Allen clone.  There arent Allen clones.  I thought Allen was a Roethlisberger clone predraft.  I was wrong.  Hes a freak of nature.  And what makes him really special is that chip on his right shoulder from being a 0 star recruit and then hearing about all of the QBs who were clearly inferior to him getting praised ahead of him.  

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Slow down.  I like Herbert, but who are you taking Herbert over?

Mahomes

Rogers

Wilson

Allen

Brady

Watson

Herbert is tracking towards and in 2 or 3 years will probably be a top 5 QB.  But he ain't there yet.  And no, hes not an Allen clone.  There arent Allen clones.  I thought Allen was a Roethlisberger clone predraft.  I was wrong.  Hes a freak of nature.  And what makes him really special is that chip on his right shoulder from being a 0 star recruit and then hearing about all of the QBs who were clearly inferior to him getting praised ahead of him.  

Over Brady. Brady is playing very well. But i dont see him as a better qb right now at this point. How is Herbert not a more refined Allen right now, vs where Allen was as a rookie. Allen is a better athlete. But outside of that, i don't see the difference. You don't think Herbert has a chip? With so many people saying he'd be a bust and ranking him below multiple qbs who are inferior 🤷‍♂️

52 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Over Brady. Brady is playing very well. But i dont see him as a better qb right now at this point. How is Herbert not a more refined Allen right now, vs where Allen was as a rookie. Allen is a better athlete. But outside of that, i don't see the difference. You don't think Herbert has a chip? With so many people saying he'd be a bust and ranking him below multiple qbs who are inferior 🤷‍♂️

He is more refined than Allen. I haven’t watched a ton of Herbert this year but he’s not the athlete that Josh is. Not many are. I’m not saying Herbert isn’t a stud because when I’ve seen him play i see great arm talent and i think he’s obv a franchise qb for years to come, Josh Allen is just different. Allen’s whole thing has always been consistency. His highs are only matched by Mahomes. If Allen has can play like he has this year consistently going forward we are going to see a Brady vs Manning time run with Mahomes and Allen. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VanS said:

Its only a matter of time before Dobbs explodes. 

Never change Swag

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 10:37 PM, VanS said:

He's done nothing TO CHANGE MY PRE-DRAFT EVALUATION of him.  I have already conceded many times this year that he's having a great rookie season STATISTICALLY.  With that said, stats in a single season have never shaped my opinion on a player.  I favor the eye test when evaluating players with a limited data set (i.e. a year or two of production).  I have simply not been impressed with how Herbert has looked despite the impressive numbers.  For reference sake, I was also not impressed by Baker Mayfield as a rookie despite pretty good production on his part.

If Justin Herbert is what ya'll think he is, then he'll have many years like this.  And I'll be forced to eat my words because while I do not value stats that much in the short term, if a guy consistently puts up great production and wins year after year then obviously my eye test would be wrong and I would accept his greatness.  

Anthony Lynn is what is really holding him back

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Allen is bigger, more athletic, and has a stronger arm (no knock on Herbert, Allen has a stronger arm than everybody else.  Allen's arm is just stupid.  78 mph fastest fastball ever by more than 10 mph)  That's why there aren't Allen clones. 

• Like 1

There might be some recency bias involved here, but the name with the most heat on it right now is Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. We’ve previously connected him to the Chargers job, and I think if Urban Meyer doesn’t wind up taking the Jaguars job, Daboll will be in play there. The obvious thing the two places have in common—one has a great young quarterbacking prospect and the other’s about to get one.

Another Daboll connection to Jacksonville would actually be through the Patriots. Jags SVP of football administration and technology Tony Khan—son of owner Shad Khan—has taken advice from Bill Belichick in past, with Belichick being a leading advocate for Doug Marrone in 2017. I believe Belichick would give his former assistant who did two tours in Foxboro a strong recommendation (it might help him, too, to get Daboll out of the division).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/01/coaching-carousel-preview-daboll-landing-spots-pj-fleck-lions-plans

• Like 1

Literally started at the bottom as a the browns of with the 32nd ranked offense. 

I remember everyone on the browns board hated him due to his commitment to tight end screens and running tons of hook routes. 

his failure was due to the colossal failure of wannabe bill b jnr Eric Mangini.

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Allen is bigger, more athletic, and has a stronger arm (no knock on Herbert, Allen has a stronger arm than everybody else.  Allen's arm is just stupid.  78 mph fastest fastball ever by more than 10 mph)  That's why there aren't Allen clones. 

All due respect, not sure that's true.

Allen 6'5 237 (per football reference player page)

Herbert 6'6 236 (same source)

Per combine:

"Justin Herbert | Combine Results | QB - Oregon" https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Justin&l=Herbert&i=30135

Event Event Score % By QB % By Size
Height 78" 96.8 --
Weight 227 lbs 76.4 --
Hand Size 10.00" 76.5 62.5
Arm Length 32.88" 80.3 46.7
40 Yd 4.68 sec 87.1 65
20 Yd 2.75 sec 78.9 70.6
10 Yd 1.62 sec 89.4 76.5
Bench (N/A) reps -- --
Vertical 35.5" 91.9 88.2
Broad Jump (N/A)" 96.7 87.5
Shuttle 4.46 sec 29.3 37.5
3 Cone 7.06 sec 69.6 75
60yd Shuttle (N/A) sec --

"Josh Allen | Combine Results | QB - Wyoming" https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Josh&l=Allen&i=27009

Event Event Score % By QB % By Size
Height 76.88" 89.7 --
Weight 237 lbs 93.1 --
Hand Size 10.13" 85.2 76.1
Arm Length 33.25" 88 55.4
40 Yd 4.75 sec 77.3 55.6
20 Yd 2.74 sec 81.8 66.2
10 Yd 1.59 sec 96.5 92.6
Bench (N/A) reps -- --
Vertical 33.5" 79.8 69.6
Broad Jump (N/A)" 91.9 75
Shuttle 4.40 sec 41.7 45.3
3 Cone 6.90 sec 87.5 81.6

60yd Shuttle

(N/A) sec

--

As for Arm Strength, you are likely right. But not sure by much. Herbert has 1 of the 3 or 4 strongest arms in the league and top 3 arm talent. He can make any throw, any distance, any angle, any coverage, etc type thing. Believe he leads the league in 50 yd comps and in ADOT for tds. 

Even if Allen does have advantages in those aspects, they aren't by much at all. Herbert is that dude.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, Bearerofnews said:

Over Brady. Brady is playing very well. But i dont see him as a better qb right now at this point.

So you are telling me if you are in a must win scenario tomorrow, you are taking Hebert at QB over Brady?  I don't buy it.