2021 Offseason thread

Kiltman

1 minute ago, nlesthought said:

I ask again what is the going rate for a QB with a bloated contract and coming off a bad year?

With RIvers retiring, if the Colts offered a 1st in 2022 and some stuff this year? 

Sold - don't even care what they offer this year. 

37 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I ask again what is the going rate for a QB with a bloated contract and coming off a bad year?

With RIvers retiring, if the Colts offered a 1st in 2022 and some stuff this year? 

Do it. I don’t think Doug leaving is going to magically make things fine. If Carson truly was the way those reports paint him to be his reclamation in Philly is a big uphill climb. Get him to redo his contract to leave and help our cap situation.

A 2022 first potentially helps us get our next QB.

21 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Do it. I don’t think Doug leaving is going to magically make things fine. If Carson truly was the way those reports paint him to be his reclamation in Philly is a big uphill climb. Get him to redo his contract to leave and help our cap situation.

If someone blows you away with an offer take it and run but you don’t need to trade him just to trade him. I’m fine if they bring him back and see what 2021 brings 

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If someone blows you away with an offer take it and run but you don’t need to trade him just to trade him. I’m fine if they bring him back and see what 2021 brings 

If he can be fixed great, it surely doesn’t seem like that’ll be an easy thing though. Don’t give him away for nothing. But if anyone is throwing a first our way in 2021 or 2022, probably worth taking it.

Very dependent on who we get for the coaches.

34 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

What if the contract non negotiable? 

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

If he can be fixed great, it surely doesn’t seem like that’ll be an easy thing though. Don’t give him away for nothing. But if anyone is throwing a first our way in 2021 or 2022, probably worth taking it.

Very dependent on who we get for the coaches.

Having a new coach gives them more leverage for a trade. With Doug, it seemed like Carson was out no matter what, we would have had to give him away for peanuts. Now, we have leverage to keep him. Yeah, we getting a 1st+ let's go. There are so many teams at the end of the draft that will need a QB, Colts, Steelers, WSH, Bears, SF. If you aren't getting a good deal, he's worth more on the roster than off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nlesthought said:

What if the contract non negotiable? 

there is still money to be gained by moving him the first couple days of the year.
If I remember right it's $10mil bonus plus big chunk of guarantees in 2022 wash away.

It's a two year commitment basically to Carson.

Ultimately it really just falls back to staff. The other side of it is Carson's mindset..which none of us know.

We could get a smart hardass QB-focused coach to break Carson into shape and he has no interest in that.
or
We could go with Duce and maybe Carson loves him like so many do, and snaps out his moody teen phase.
It's just a part of it we don't know about it. If they want to fix Carson they better be figuring that out but hopefully their prime goal is what is best for the Eagles.

If we are getting a 1st and say a 3rd... that's good value for the Carson we had this year.
If we aren't getting anything of note then yeah, why trade him?

6 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I wouldn't trade Wentz. He's too talented and you guys think QBs come from an apple tree. Get him a good coach that can scheme to his strengths and put talent around him and not make bogus calls. 

24 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

I wouldn't trade Wentz. He's too talented and you guys think QBs come from an apple tree. Get him a good coach that can scheme to his strengths and put talent around him and not make bogus calls. 

I don't hate Carson and I agree QBs don't grow on trees. But 68 games you shouldn't have to question whether he's the guy. You question whether Doug P can scheme, well how do you know the next set of coaches can do any better? I will tell you there is a lot of overlap from coach to coach in terms of schemes and route combinations.  

Honest question explain what do you mean scheme to his strengths? What are his strengths, what type of offense do you see him in? I think Carson showed his ceiling and so far hasn't been consistent enough to say otherwise. 68 games he's 28.

Forget all the rumors and clickbait, just maybe the 2017 season was the outlier ?  

2 hours ago, nlesthought said:

I don't hate Carson and I agree QBs don't grow on trees. But 68 games you shouldn't have to question whether he's the guy. You question whether Doug P can scheme, well how do you know the next set of coaches can do any better? I will tell you there is a lot of overlap from coach to coach in terms of schemes and route combinations.  

Honest question explain what do you mean scheme to his strengths? What are his strengths, what type of offense do you see him in? I think Carson showed his ceiling and so far hasn't been consistent enough to say otherwise. 68 games he's 28.

Forget all the rumors and clickbait, just maybe the 2017 season was the outlier ?  

I agree with this in theory, but until this season did anyone REALLY question if he was the guy other than the worry over his injury history?

The fact of the matter is no one knows if wentz is good or bad anymore, it's a complete roll of the dice at this point. He's had one mvp season, two good seasons, and one literal worst in the league season. I personally would be in favor of just cutting bait despite how much i love the guy. The headache of wondering isn't worth it.

Edited by Daimonas

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Jordan mailata. How is he looking?

Pretty good considering it was his first season playing real football. Obviously never played in HS or college like most guys. He played for us in 2018 and 2019 preseasons and showed progress, but that's hardly real NFL starting competition either that he was facing with 2nd to 4th stringers and he only played limited snaps in a lot of those, so it was hard to say what he was at this time last year. He had some ups and downs but that was to be expected. We got what we hoped for in his first starting experience tbh. Nobody was or should've expected him to be elite from year 1. The flashes really get you excited. PFF had him as our top graded o-line over Kelce.... weird, but I appreciate the recognition. PFF also actually named him as the breakout candidate for the Eagles in 2021. His upside is tantalizing. Not too many guys 6'8" that are built and can move like that. Sometimes he gets away with stuff right now just because of that sheer size and athletic ability. This will be the last year of his contract in 2021. Hoping he doesn't go anywhere after if he keeps growing like he has. Still pretty young at 23 since he was drafted just after he turned 21. Also, he's just a great dude and really easy to root for. Honestly seeing him get snaps and progress was one of the more rewarding parts of this otherwise bleak season.

1 hour ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Pretty good considering it was his first season playing real football. Obviously never played in HS or college like most guys. He played for us in 2018 and 2019 preseasons and showed progress, but that's hardly real NFL starting competition either that he was facing with 2nd to 4th stringers and he only played limited snaps in a lot of those, so it was hard to say what he was at this time last year. He had some ups and downs but that was to be expected. We got what we hoped for in his first starting experience tbh. Nobody was or should've expected him to be elite from year 1. The flashes really get you excited. PFF had him as our top graded o-line over Kelce.... weird, but I appreciate the recognition. PFF also actually named him as the breakout candidate for the Eagles in 2021. His upside is tantalizing. Not too many guys 6'8" that are built and can move like that. Sometimes he gets away with stuff right now just because of that sheer size and athletic ability. This will be the last year of his contract in 2021. Hoping he doesn't go anywhere after if he keeps growing like he has. Still pretty young at 23 since he was drafted just after he turned 21. Also, he's just a great dude and really easy to root for. Honestly seeing him get snaps and progress was one of the more rewarding parts of this otherwise bleak season.

And entering his 4th season, being only 24 is a big plus.