2020 Divisional: #6 Cleveland Browns vs. #1 KC Chiefs

MWil23

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If you accept the caveat (as every reasonable person would), the Chiefs are behind 3 such teams: TB, NO and BUF. They were all close games, it's not unreasonable that all those teams are on the same tier, separated by very little. DVOA isn't predictive, it simply is a snapshot of what happened. All those teams are capable of beating each other any day. 

KC led those games by scores of 23-10, 27-10, and 29-15, all on the road

None of those teams ever had a chance to even take the lead in the 4th quarter. The Chiefs also outgained those teams by an average of 170ypg. Chiefs were clearly better when they met on the field

40 minutes ago, Nightime said:

KC led those games by scores of 23-10, 27-10, and 29-15, all on the road

None of those teams ever had a chance to even take the lead in the 4th quarter. The Chiefs also outgained those teams by an average of 170ypg. Chiefs were clearly better when they met on the field

Yeah but DVOA...

the chiefs will load up the box and play the safety's close. i suspect the browns will have a similar game plan  like they did against the titans who sold out to stop the run.

they didnt even try to run they passed early to set up the run Mayfield had 4 TD passes in the first half.

Edited by EastSideDawg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Just for clarity, I'm not inherently complaining about DVOA itself. I rather like DVOA. It is an interesting piece to the puzzle when trying to rank and compare and evaluate teams and units and players. It isn't the end all be all, but it's useful.

I'm more complaining about the recent trend from a few posters to use DVOA as the final answer in and of itself, and as the default when posting information. Like, in a vacuum, when someone says X is the #1 ranked offense in football, my immediate assumption is they're talking either points or yards. Those have been the standards for years. When someone says, X team is better at passing the ball in 2020 than in 2019, I'm thinking they threw for more yards, or maybe had a higher passer rating, or possibly that poster is just speaking subjectively, they believe from watching them that they're better at passing the ball. What I've increasingly seen, is people throwing out DVOA rankings as fact of quality, without specifying that they're referencing DVOA, and that just creates a lack of clarity.

So when diamondbull posts that the Chiefs run defense is worse than it was last year, I'm immediately confused. Because by the eye test, to any Chiefs fan, it's better than it was last year. It's better in yards, it's better than yards per attempt. Any kind of stat one would typically default to in a statement like that, we've improved. I just want him to specify he's talking about DVOA, if that's what he's talking about.

Incognitoman is admittedly the worst offender in doing this, but I've seen it spreading and it's just incredibly confusing to use a non-standard metric as if it is fact without clarity around what you're using. He was talking about how lucky the Chiefs were playing the 18th ranked team in the league next week, as if it's pure, inarguable fact, without saying the 18th ranked team in DVOA. It'd be like referring to players by their PFF ranking.

Especially when the stat is now paywalled.

There's a lot wrong with this post

(1) it's not paywalled

(2) just because we've always done something doesn't mean we always should. I think cars are better at getting around than horses.

(3) using yards to, as a standalone, to rank ANYTHING in the NFL is just...bad

(4) you should read up more on DVOA and become part of the solution and advocate for it rather than denigrate it. You'll feel better about it lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastSideDawg said:

the chiefs will load up the box and play the safety's close. i suspect the browns will have a similar game plan  like they did against the titans who sold out to stop the run.

they didnt even try to run they passed early to set up the run Mayfield had 4 TD passes in the first half.

Spot on.

Baker trusts these guys in a tough game and will target them heavily:

1. Jarvis Landry - He is THE guy when a game is tight. Always shows up when Baker needs him to.

2. Rashard Higgins - He’s a 4th or 5th WR on any other team. However, he has amazing chemistry with Baker. It’s been that way since Bakers rookie year. Higgins torches zone coverage and struggles against man to man.

3. Austin Hooper - He can be a little shaky, but Baker is trusting him more and more in short yardage situation.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

(3) using yards to, as a standalone, to rank ANYTHING in the NFL is just...bad

That reminds me, I need to include my daily congratulations to Ben Roethlisberger on throwing for 500 yards on Sunday Night. Congratulations Ben! :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Since you bring it up, the Chiefs played Minnesota in 2019. Dalvin Cook was 21 carries for 71 yards and a 3.38 Y/C average. Do you think the Browns running game is better than the Vikings?

Slightly, although when healthy Cook>Chubb. Hunt>>>Mattison.

Johnson=Boone/Abdullah I guess

12 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Slightly, although when healthy Cook>Chubb. Hunt>>>Mattison.

Johnson=Boone/Abdullah I guess

The difference isnt the RBs themselves, its the OL talent. When healthy the Browns have one of, if not the best OL in the NFL. That unit can create massive running lanes for whoever lines up at RB.

The issue is teams in the 2nd half of the season began to sell out to stop the run and dare Baker to beat them with his arm which he proved that he can beat people there too. Its just a matter of how KC wants to approach the game.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2