Russell Wilson reportedly unhappy with Seahawks

DigInBoys

17 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I agree with that tweet completely. Seattle is a dump, he needs to move on!!! 

Well if Chicago is truly one of his potential landing spots, things aren’t going to improve for him lol. 

In regards to being a top 5 qb of all time, is he even a top 5 qb of the last decade? That would mean he thinks of himself as as good or better than Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc without even taking elite quarterbacks from the past into account lol

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say it:

As great as RW is, the dude has been treated with kid gloves his entire career.

Between Carroll telling Sherman to quit being so tough on Russ in practice (LOL) and babying him, to him throwing THE WORST INTERCEPTION IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE IN THE SUPER BOWL

Are we still sitting here pretending like that INT was Russ somehow making a bad play? It's been 7(?) years since that play, I thought we were well past this by now.

to not owning his own limitations (he played like Jared Goff the last 60% of the season) such as holding the ball too long and thinking that he's the same athlete that he was 5 years ago (he's not),

Wilson knows he's not the same athlete he was 5 years ago, and two major things prove that:

1. Compare the # of read-option keeps the Seahawks ran this year (almost zero) to previous years
  2. Russell Wilson finally speaking out about the importance of protection itself proves he knows he's not as mobile as he was 5 years ago.
  3. Him holding on to the ball the 2nd half of the season (largely because in those games teams figured out their offense and nobody was open) doesn't have anything to do with him "not owning his own limitations"

to an absolutely inflated opinion of himself as a Top 5 guy in history, when he's not even a Top 5 guy in today's NFL (Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Watson), and I'd argue that due to age, teams would rather have Herbert and potentially even Dak.

This is just absurd, quite honestly. Top 5 guy in history, at this point in time is fair, but given his current production year-over-year, he's well on pace to be there. Furthermore, he's objectively better than both Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson.

He's a surefire HOF Quarterback, but he's way behind a lot of guys in the history of the league, and he's been babied more than any QB I've ever seen. Here's an idea Russ...if you want to cook, maybe don't suck/play mediocre football. Here's another idea...if you want to be a Top 5 QB of all time (LOL), consider earning a single MVP vote in your career first, let alone winning one.

How exactly do you baby a QB by giving him no OL and centering the entire offense around him/his mobility for his entire career? How is that babying him?

• Like 1

I can't help but feel like Wilson is watching his legacy slip away. He came into the league on fire, 2 superbowls in his first 3 years (destroyed P. Manning, and barely lost to Brady). His main rival was Aaron Rodgers, who he was crushing head to head. He saw himself becoming the next GOAT. Now, 6 years later he has nothing to show for it. He's watching his old rival, ARod, at the end of his career being talked about as a "what-could-have-been" story and people are blaming his team. Wilson doesn't want that to be him in 5 years, and he's getting desperate.

As a Seahawks fan, I really wish he would go the Brady route. He has the superstar wife, time to cut your pay a ton to get the team more pieces. QBs on a team friendly deals seem to be a must have for SB wins these days, and Wilson doesn't seem to get that. I really wonder how many of those playoff games the Hawks lost by one score goes the other way if they had an extra 10 mil to spend in free agency that year.

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Well if Chicago is truly one of his potential landing spots, things aren’t going to improve for him lol. 

He'll have to take into account what Chicago would need to give up to get him.  With that they'd pay him, combined with the picks and potentially young players they would no longer have, what would the difference really be?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Wow, not sure where this is coming from.  The agent perhaps.  Not sure the organization would leak this to make their Qb look like a diva.  So come make a really big offer.  Just a weird tweet.

I think you're on to something here.  Granted, Dov Klieman is the token indictment of current sports media.  Piggybacks off a lot of other reporters, only very rarely comes forward with his own sources (that aren't other media members who have already broken the story), and when he does the information his source gives is, at best, tangential to Dov's original story and doesn't really confirm or deny what was posited in it.  That said, Dov strikes me as the type of reporter who agents would prey on pretty easily to disseminate information or narratives that they want.

Looking at Dov's own retweet of the tweet that's making the rounds here, where he actually quotes his (anonymous) source, it doesn't necessarily suggest that Russ and his agent are after more money (granted, I'd be willing to bet that giving him more money would probably solve this "unhappiness" pretty darn quick - funny how that kind of thing works...), but rather trying to get influence he feels locked out of due to Carroll and Schneider's own job securities, both in terms of the team's style of play and the pieces put in front of him (and how they're valued/brought onto the team):

I don't think it would take too much extrapolation to figure out who this "source" is... or, call it an educated guess, that it's a former LOB member trying to pump himself up in the process (I think it needs to at least be considered that this is Sherman, who is a UFA himself, trying to stoke his own glow ahead of his own contract talks with other teams, at the expense of his former team and former QB).  Conversely to the parenthetical, it could also be Earl Thomas or Kam Chancellor with their own sour grapes and dirty laundry to air toward the organization.

• Like 1

Russell Wilson is making it everyone else’s fault he can’t get an MVP vote. Get over yourself buddy, try scoring on the Rams maybe.

most teams in the NFL have weak offensive lines. However, most teams don’t have two number 1 receivers and a top 7 head coach... let’s not pretend like Russell is on some barren wasteland of a team. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

This is a tough situation for me, because i feel like Russ has a point, but also feel like he’s being dramatic, and he’s been in a much better situation than other QB’s have been in. (Watson is one example). He needs to be careful what he wishes for, the grass isn’t always greener...

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Fidgit said:

I can't help but feel like Wilson is watching his legacy slip away. He came into the league on fire, 2 superbowls in his first 3 years (destroyed P. Manning, and barely lost to Brady). His main rival was Aaron Rodgers, who he was crushing head to head. He saw himself becoming the next GOAT. Now, 6 years later he has nothing to show for it. He's watching his old rival, ARod, at the end of his career being talked about as a "what-could-have-been" story and people are blaming his team. Wilson doesn't want that to be him in 5 years, and he's getting desperate.

As a Seahawks fan, I really wish he would go the Brady route. He has the superstar wife, time to cut your pay a ton to get the team more pieces. QBs on a team friendly deals seem to be a must have for SB wins these days, and Wilson doesn't seem to get that. I really wonder how many of those playoff games the Hawks lost by one score goes the other way if they had an extra 10 mil to spend in free agency that year.

Brady had a wife that was bring in the same/more funds then Tom himself. 

If Seattle has identified having a QB on team friendly deals as a necessity for potential SB titles, they should trade Wilson for picks and then draft there next QB in round 3 on a great contract. 

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are we still sitting here pretending like that INT was Russ somehow making a bad play? It's been 7(?) years since that play, I thought we were well past this by now.

I’m not stuck on that single play. I’m using that example from a “legacy” standpoint and a “treated with kid gloves” standpoint. In light of his alleged belief that he’s somehow a Top 5 guy (LOL). We all know that other all time greats would have gotten crushed for that. The fact that everyone blamed the play call entirely and not him even to a degree is funny.

Wilson knows he's not the same athlete he was 5 years ago, and two major things prove that:

1. Compare the # of read-option keeps the Seahawks ran this year (almost zero) to previous years
  2. Russell Wilson finally speaking out about the importance of protection itself proves he knows he's not as mobile as he was 5 years ago.
  3. Him holding on to the ball the 2nd half of the season (largely because in those games teams figured out their offense and nobody was open) doesn't have anything to do with him "not owning his own limitations"

All of those things are valid from a scheme point of view. However, he’s got a young dynamic receiver, a good defense, and has historically had a good running game. 

However, he objectively played bad football against the Rams and other teams down the stretch. You can’t play that badly and have that inflated view of yourself.

This is just absurd, quite honestly. Top 5 guy in history, at this point in time is fair, but given his current production year-over-year, he's well on pace to be there. Furthermore, he's objectively better than both Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson.

He isn’t well on his way. He’s actually plateaued. He needs to win an MVP (or at least get a vote), and he’s never even been the best at his position during his playing career.

As far as the other two, age included, he isn’t as good. The other guys are 25 or under. I’d add Jackson to the discussion as well as potentially about 1-2 other young quarterbacks if they explode in 2021.

How exactly do you baby a QB by giving him no OL and centering the entire offense around him/his mobility for his entire career? How is that babying him?

By telling guys to take it easy on him in practice.

By taking the fall as coaches and protecting him from criticism.

By giving him an absolutely monster contract and utilizing draft picks on the offensive end.

Clearly the FO/Coaching staff isn’t blameless, but neither is Russ. You wanna cook? Don’t play mediocre football down the stretch. 

17 hours ago, Fidgit said:

Russell has never been on pace for being in the conversation for best ever. 

BTW, no way Ciara is breaking the kind of bread Gisele has/is. The net worth between the two is like that of heaven and Earth. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’m not stuck on that single play. I’m using that example from a “legacy” standpoint and a “treated with kid gloves” standpoint. In light of his alleged belief that he’s somehow a Top 5 guy (LOL). We all know that other all time greats would have gotten crushed for that. The fact that everyone blamed the play call entirely and not him even to a degree is funny.

Because that's the right thing to do? They gave him 2 plays - a run and a pass. He made the right pre-snap read and made a good throw. Not sure what else you want him to do?

All of those things are valid from a scheme point of view. However, he’s got a young dynamic receiver, a good defense, and has historically had a good running game. 

A good defense? They were 16th in DVOA at the end of the year. And yes, usually he does have a good running game, but this year, specifically because they stopped running the keepers with Wilson and because Carson was injured, there was no run game, so defenses just played 2-high down the stretch and Schottenheimer didn't do anything to adjust. Pete Carroll's very first thing he said after the season ended was that next year he didn't want to see teams sit in 2-high all game long because they couldn't run the ball.

However, he objectively played bad football against the Rams and other teams down the stretch. You can’t play that badly and have that inflated view of yourself.

Rams always have the Seahawks number, doesn't matter what year it is or how good/bad RW is playing.

He isn’t well on his way. He’s actually plateaued. He needs to win an MVP (or at least get a vote), and he’s never even been the best at his position during his playing career.

Statistically he very much is on his way.

By telling guys to take it easy on him in practice.

By taking the fall as coaches and protecting him from criticism.

By giving him an absolutely monster contract and utilizing draft picks on the offensive end.

The last 4 drafts the Seahawks have used the following draft picks on the offensive side of the ball in the first 3 rounds:

• Damien Lewis - 3rd round - OG (great run blocker, horrible pass blocker)
  • DK Metcalf - 2nd round - WR (Superstar)
  • Rashaad Penny - 1st round - RB (laughably overpicked, average RB, spent all of last year injured)
  • Will Dissly - 2nd round - TE (injured every year, basically a blocking/possession TE who is now lost in the shuffle)
  • Ethan Pocic - 2nd round - C (god awful)

So yeah I mean the Seahawks are technically using draft picks on the offensive end, but only one of them has even amounted to anything. All of the others are either bad players or injured. Damien Lewis has potential but he's really gotta work on his pass blocking.

Clearly the FO/Coaching staff isn’t blameless, but neither is Russ. You wanna cook? Don’t play mediocre football down the stretch. 

It goes both ways. Down the stretch, Seattle had no run game, teams knew their schemes and Schottenheimer couldn't adjust. Russ definitely didn't play well and forced things but if you watch the film, it was just 60 minutes of defenses knowing what's coming and nothing Russ can do about it except try to play hero ball and make magical plays.

On 3/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Ty21 said:

In regards to being a top 5 qb of all time, is he even a top 5 qb of the last decade? That would mean he thinks of himself as as good or better than Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes, etc without even taking elite quarterbacks from the past into account lol

There are a lot of dumpy parts of Chicago, but there some really nice parts to live in too.  Russell probably wouldn't be living on the south side if he moves there.  I love the city of Chicago and wouldn't even mind living there if it was in a decent area.