Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

what multiplier would you place on Rodgers value in 2021 compared to Stafford's value in 2021?

i.e. if it's 1.5x, Rodgers would command 150% the same draft capital that Stafford did.

Factoring in:

+ Rodgers: skill

+ Stafford: age, timing of trade, no pressure to trade & content

I'd say Rodgers multiplier is (0.75)(Stafford trade value)

7 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

............which might put you in a much worse position than taking a lesser number of picks + players.......because playing hardball invites a hardball reply, like keeping a QB who has no interest in playing for your team. As with so many situations like this, ask the question "Where does the power lie ?" How much power to affect the outcome lies with each side ?

As for @TransientTexan comment on Brady (43 years old), he is an outlier. Rodgers could be done at 39, we just don't know. Peyton Manning was pretty much shot at that age. Remember that GM's are by nature risk-averse, so while they might make a deal, they WILL be asking the question "What is his floor ?" just as much as looking at his ceiling.

There are a couple different facets to a trade involving Rodgers.

1.  impact on the GB Packers for 2021 on field performance
2.  Financial considerations -- salary cap and Money on hand/in reserve for the organization
3.   Future assets and how that impacts GB for future years
4.  Team chemistry
5.  other ???

Scenarios

• Rodgers plays 2021 in GB
    • New contract in hand
      • Does that lead to a motivated Rodgers or a complacent Rodgers?
      • Probably not great from a financial standpoint 
      • Obviously no new assets are coming to GB
      • Team chemistry -- hard to know
    • no new contract
      • How Rodgers plays is open for debate and speculation?   Would he be motivated, would he play closer to 2018/2019?   
      • GB has the cap hit for 2021 and would still have the cap hit for 2022 upcoming
      • No new assets coming until a possible trade after the 2021 season
    • Obviously, this is the (only??) option that has the best chance for GB to be more successful in 2021
  • Rodgers retires
    • GB 2021 performance likely drops...probably substantially
    • Financially GB gains the signing bonus back -- Not sure how that affects the actually salary cap accounting
    • No new assets coming to GB
    • Hard to know that that does to team chemistry
  • Rodgers sits out 2021
    • GB 2021 performance likely drops...probably substantially
    • GB gets no financial relief, though they can fine Rodgers
    • No new assets
  • Rodgers is traded
    • GB 2021 performance likely drops... how much depends on the assets coming back
    • GB gains financial relief in terms of cap space for 2021 and 2022
    • NEW assets are likely coming

Depending on how people view the different weighting of New assets vs Financial benefits vs 2021 GB on field performance, etc.   There is no great answer as none of them are without a down side.   

I personally am at the point -- currently-- that trading Rodgers is a fair option, though possibly not the best option, but it might be the "only" option.

I can't see Rodgers wanting to retire and potentially having to write a check to GB for the balance of the signing bonus he has been paid.    I can see Rodgers sitting out and trying to force GB hand on either a trade or a new deal, but I also don't think he would sit out and then report in mid season as the optics of that would not be something he would like reflecting on him.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Factoring in:

Woof

I suspect there is not a single soul in the world that agrees it's less than 1 lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Maybe you have not been to NFL General on this site recently!!!!!!!!!

I've been stuck in NFL News. The land where Devin Funchess has never caught a football in his lifetime and every GB fan thinks he's better than Davante Adams.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I've been stuck in NFL News. The land where Devin Funchess has never caught a football in his lifetime and every GB fan thinks he's better than Davante Adams.

Oh yeah, I was following along with that **** show

just never really interests me to engage with most in those subs as the lack of solid thought is disheartening 

• Like 1

First of all Rodgers is worth more than Stafford in todays NFL where it's never been easier to play QB.  5 years older or not.

You've got to factor in opportunity cost and the intangibles.   Elway wants a Super Bowl.  Chuckie Doll wants a Super Bowl.  Egos and bromances mixed in.  Rodgers gives them multiple years better chance at a ring than any other available option, assuming at some point Rodg is available.  The team needs to keep the true stance that he is not going to be traded, unless at some point he is and then only for a haul.  A haul that may indeed be overpayment, but it just may be worth the risk.  We benefit from Elway not wanting Chuckie to have him and vice versa.  And they aren't the only two teams that may throw their helmet in.

He may not bring quite what some think, but then again he may.

Was on twitter, saw Aaron Rodgers liked this tweet

Looks like he may still be dug in on his stance the closer we get to Voluntary OTA's / Mandatory Training Camp that or he just really likes Christian Music? lol

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Factoring in:

Rodgers has a decent edge in recent play quality. Stafford was kind of middling last year, compared to Rodgers' MVP season. Also, his contract is better than Staffords' contract. 15.55m in 2021 vs. 20m for Stafford. and 25.5m vs. 23m in 2022. That's a big bargain for an MVP. And low on guarantees. 

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Factoring in:

Stafford and Detroit LITERALLY announced they had agreed to part ways, lol this is bad. That was the definition of losing leverage and they still got 2 firsts.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Rodgers has a decent edge in recent play quality. Stafford was kind of middling last year, compared to Rodgers' MVP season. Also, his contract is better than Staffords' contract. 15.55m in 2021 vs. 20m for Stafford. and 25.5m vs. 23m in 2022. That's a big bargain for an MVP. And low on guarantees. 

I don't think current contract will factor in at all on the compensation in a trade.  New team will surely be increasing a Rodgers salary up to a higher level. I think GB would eat the lowest dead cap amount as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Stafford and Detroit LITERALLY announced they had agreed to part ways, lol this is bad. That was the definition of losing leverage and they still got 2 firsts.

Let's also remember that DET took on Goff (who in this scenario/trade was the QB getting banished away ... aka the worse QB on a big contract). Part of the 2 first was to compensate DET for taking him, many believe. 

"According to the NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, the Lions and Stafford have mutually agreed to part ways this off-season and the team will begin exploring trade options in the coming weeks. Pelissero adds that the two sides have had open and healthy discussions since the season ended"

By Stafford mutually agreeing (+ healthy discussions), it arbitraly keeps Stafford value at a certain level, whereas Rodgers situation is lowering his value from his level, the longer it continues, theoretically it continues to dip as the rift widens.

I'm unsure if Stafford also gave DET a small team list or not. If he didn't, that would have helped preserve trade compensation as well.