Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

13 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

If you are the Packers you have to approach any potential trade like you are handing the team the keys to a cadillac, and you have to assume he takes most teams into that 25-32 pick range in the draft.  You can't give him away but you have to understand these picks are likely to be bottom of the round picks.  Ask for the moon and see who bites

Lets say Rodgers wants to go to Denver because Shailene lives in Boulder. Trade Rodgers now and next years draft pick is end of the 1st or near the end. Trade him next offseason and the Packers might get a top 15 or no worse than top 20 pick. Seems like a simple answer.

27 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Lets say Rodgers wants to go to Denver because Shailene lives in Boulder. Trade Rodgers now and next years draft pick is end of the 1st or near the end. Trade him next offseason and the Packers might get a top 15 or no worse than top 20 pick. Seems like a simple answer.

This seems rational but the money we take off the books a year earlier can net us a big fish in free agency or it would allow us to keep a few of our guys that we may have to walk away from. It also helps us make a case to Denver we need a talent like Bradley Chubb or Patrick Surtain Jr. as part of the deal. 

It's fun to speculate, but I'll be glad when it comes to a conclusion, whatever that might be. 

What would Rodgers have to do to stay past 2021?

A: Win the Super Bowl?

B: Agree to a cap friendly contract?

C It doesn't matter, the transition is in motion.  

D Both A and B.

E  Other

Edited by NFLGURU

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

D Both A and B.

C.  It's in motion and Rodgers will play this year for GB and then get dealt in Feb/Mar of '22.  Love would have to totally fall on his face for the Packers to turn back now.

2 hours ago, 15412 said:

It's just for fun of course but I don't really like that package.  Love the picks, not the players.  Chubb is soon to get paid and it's going to take more than one piggy bank.  Don't want Lock, but if forced would let them add him.  Risner would be great, but with Rodg coming to them they likely would not want to lose an offensive starter and we're sitting pretty good at guard.  I expect the plan is to sign Jenkins long term when the time comes.  I stick with 2 1's and 2 2's along with Surtain for Rodg from the Broncs.  

Even if we trade Rodgers our cap situation is very bad.

I would just ask for picks and forget adding any players. Nice haul of picks and rebuild with them - definite no to Chubb another cap headache and no point putting pressure on Love, Bortles can be backup. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

D Both A and B.

E  Other

Well if Rodgers was on his current contract and will play on it then if he remained a top 5 QB then pretty sure we would stick with him for 22.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Even if we trade Rodgers our cap situation is very bad.

I would just ask for picks and forget adding any players. Nice haul of picks and rebuild with them - definite no to Chubb another cap headache and no point putting pressure on Love, Bortles can be backup. 

Agreed, in my scenario Surtain is essentially a draft pick, just that we get the benefit right now.   I'd like some benefit now and I really liked Surtain in this draft.  But straight future picks works as long as they are heavy.

43 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

D Both A and B.

E  Other

It is probably E. As long as Rodgers keeps playing at a MVP level the FO has no need or desire to move on from him. If Love sat for 4 years and the Packers got vintage Rodgers in that time frame, it should be considered a very successful 1st round investment based on motivation of Rodgers alone. The fly in the ointment is Rodgers and his agent do not like the idea that Rodgers is forced to play to his potential or be traded.    

16 minutes ago, R T said:

It is probably E. As long as Rodgers keeps playing at a MVP level the FO has no need or desire to move on from him. If Love sat for 4 years and the Packers got vintage Rodgers in that time frame, it should be considered a very successful 1st round investment based on motivation of Rodgers alone. The fly in the ointment is Rodgers and his agent do not like the idea that Rodgers is forced to play to his potential or be traded.    

This is a fair take! I'm just going to be curious to see how stubborn Rodgers really is come opening of TC. His family issues are well known. I'd think it would be harder to walk away from your family than your job. Even if it pays you close to 40 million a year or whatever he makes. 

From the organizations standpoint, how much diva to you take? Favre wore out his welcome so one should not be surprised if the same could happen to Rodgers. 

34 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We are gonna get half of what you guys think we should get.

Then Gutekunst is the sucker at the table in "Rounders!" He can't give Rodgers away and think he's going to have job security.

44 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

We are gonna get half of what you guys think we should get.

Then we don't trade him.

If we trade Rodgers then we are in the ludicrous scenario where we are paying the best QB in the league an enormous amount of money (which comes out of the budget for our own team) to try and win the super bowl for someone else.  Think that through, we are significantly weakening our own team to finance say Denver's super bowl shot.

That's a bad scenario.

I'm fine Rodgers retiring and we get the money back. If we get a serious haul of picks then you have to consider it. But it needs to be a serious haul of picks (not players on big contracts or soon to be big contracts).

Any compensation needs to be take into account the fact, picks are likely to be at the bottom of the 1st round. It needs to be significant or I don't bother taking the call.

• Like 1