Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

45 minutes ago, Joe said:

I hated the Myers pick more because his athleticism is overrated.

In regards to Stokes

Condensed it for you.  Apologies.

Maybe I'm putting words into your mouth here, but I didn't like WHERE Myers was taken.  I thought he was a quality player.  I liked the movement I saw on tape.  I liked the bend, and I liked the smarts.  I didn't like the grabbing.

So, you know how I feel, so I'll turn it to you.  Where would you have been comfortable taking Myers?  (I had round 4.)  Going two rounds higher raised my eyebrows.  Here is to hoping he is worth it.

I overlooked Stokes because he ran the blazing 40, while not at the Combine.  Figured he was a work out warrior.  After seeing film....he sure has a lot of shut down corner traits.

I still wish we could have swung a better tackle in the draft, but if GB is right on Stokes and Myers, well, those were two big holes that needed to be filled.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, JaireAlex said:

Stokes is Sam Shields but several years ahead in the position. Shields had better hips, Stokes seems twitchier. I think Shields is his floor & and Shields took years to develop.

My man, Shields started a decent amount of games as a rookie and had plenty of playing time. Shields was good out the gate.

I hope you're right on the Floor/ comparison. 

• Like 1

Wish I felt more like some of you guys do on Stokes.  I think he's a year or two away from being ready for significant snaps though.  I can't say I've had the time for any kind of real film study lately, but from what little I've watched he's grabby through the route due to being caught off-guard a lot.  It may be just a lack of film study (or training in how to watch film), but you can't succeed in the NFL being that reactive no matter what your 40 time is.  Think he's in the right room to get it corrected though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Wish I felt more like some of you guys do on Stokes.  I think he's a year or two away from being ready for significant snaps though.  I can't say I've had the time for any kind of real film study lately, but from what little I've watched he's grabby through the route due to being caught off-guard a lot.  It may be just a lack of film study (or training in how to watch film), but you can't succeed in the NFL being that reactive no matter what your 40 time is.  Think he's in the right room to get it corrected though.

Right but you have King this year. Stokes being the 3rd corner this year probably makes most sense. He can play the edge so Alexander can move around.

18 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Stokes has two very good if not elite safeties behind him.  And he has experience defending the "best of the best" at the WR position in college.  If he can't play this year because of skillset, then we were big time off in our evaluation of him.

King is gonna get dinged up, it's what King does.  I'm personally looking forward to seeing Stokes out there on the boundary.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Stokes has two very good if not elite safeties behind him.  And he has experience defending the "best of the best" at the WR position in college.  If he can't play this year because of skillset, then we were big time off in our evaluation of him.

King is gonna get dinged up, it's what King does.  I'm personally looking forward to seeing Stokes out there on the boundary.

It is still a lot easier to get by on athletic ability in college than the pros. He may have come technique work that will get exposed in the NFL if he doesn't correct it. 

I'm not going to give up on the kid if he doesn't play a lot this year. I learned my lesson from Gary two years ago. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

It is still a lot easier to get by on athletic ability in college than the pros. He may have come technique work that will get exposed in the NFL if he doesn't correct it. 

I'm not going to give up on the kid if he doesn't play a lot this year. I learned my lesson from Gary two years ago. 

He's a corner.  Speed can get you onto the field.  On the field reps leads to better skill.

I'm pretty confident in the guy.  Especially in our secondary with our pass rush.

6 hours ago, vegas492 said:

He's a corner.  Speed can get you onto the field.  On the field reps leads to better skill.

I'm pretty confident in the guy.  Especially in our secondary with our pass rush.

I didn't mean to sound pessimistic about Stokes. My point was that I wouldn't give up on the kid if he doesn't play a ton in his rookie season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Guess Davante and Aaron took him to school.  Whipped.  Number 1 QB and WR combo in the league.  Good for the kid to go against the best.  Hopefully after getting picked on repeatedly he'll be able to elevate to the challenge.  Maybe Jaire can show him how it's done.  

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Guess Davante and Aaron took him to school.  Whipped.  Number 1 QB and WR combo in the league.  Good for the kid to go against the best.  Hopefully after getting picked on repeatedly he'll be able to elevate to the challenge.  Maybe Jaire can show him how it's done.  

Hopefully they show the kid some all-pro QB's they've done that to many times. I don't want the kid to get deflated. In fact, I hope he comes back and picks Rodgers a couple of times. That would be good for both of them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Actually no.  If King only misses his customary 4-6 weeks, that gives Stokes a little bit of starting experience to build upon going into next season when he will be needed.

As we originally assumed he would...