Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

On 8/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, Ragnarok said:

Not doubling down and not playing an empty hand.  They both sucked.

Can you explain why you felt Randall sucked in 2015?  I'm curious what it was in his game you didn't like because I felt like he had a damn fine 2015 for a rookie, much less one who played safety in college.  

The Hayward thing is just a lot of revisionist history.  The Packers had a decision to make when he hit free agency, because they already had Sam Shields under contract for a $10 million.  Hayward was talented, but had struggled to perform consistently since his rookie year.  So you have a situation where you have two high drafted rookies and a high paid CB1, not to mention Hyde who was a fantastic everything DB already.  If you pay Hayward, you have to let Shields go, and that was only barely a realistic option because Shields had a history of concussions that was concerning. You had to wonder how long he could avoid a career-ending one, but I seriously doubt anyone expected it would be game one of the very next season.

Meanwhile Hayward was definitely not a sure thing; he got a low end CB2 contract for a reason.  He was third on the depth chart in San Diego before finding his footing and taking the starting spot.  He had just been completely undressed by DT in that Denver game, and he really didn't show out as a starting boundary CB in his contract year.  He was a lottery ticket in FA, and Green Bay didn't have the cap space to gamble.  It is what it is.

• Like 4

Coach Gray gave Stokes praise for his demeanor, even if he’s getting cooked by 12 and 17, he said he keeps coming back for more. Also noted, with King out he has a great opportunity to be learning with the 1’s which is rare for a rookie CB. A long way to go for his career but he’s in a good spot to learn from coaches and players if he wants to become a true pro. I’m excited to watch his development. 

On 8/7/2021 at 5:08 PM, Ragnarok said:

I knew Randall played college safety.  Quinten was the one I was thinking of playing safety, because they tried playing him all over the field cause he sucked no matter where they put him.

Randall did have moments of not completely embarrassing himself(still not enough to warrant not bringing Hayward back), but I'm not sure who you were watching if you ever thought Rollins showed any kind of promise.  

Dude, neither one of these guys ever played safety regularly for the Packers. 

13 hours ago, Refugee said:

Coach Gray gave Stokes praise for his demeanor, even if he’s getting cooked by 12 and 17, he said he keeps coming back for more. Also noted, with King out he has a great opportunity to be learning with the 1’s which is rare for a rookie CB. A long way to go for his career but he’s in a good spot to learn from coaches and players if he wants to become a true pro. I’m excited to watch his development. 

Quit posting about Eric Stokes. It's not like this is his thread...

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, Old Guy said:

Burnett sliding had absolutely nothing to do with us losing. He picked off their offense and our legendary QB is supposed to be able to run out the clock. You think Burnett was taking that to the house? Come on! 

In both of those scenarios we still had to win the next game, which isn't a given. 

He had 20 yards to get us into fg range. We went three in out. If we kicked the fg it would have put it away.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dude, neither one of these guys ever played safety regularly for the Packers. 

They even tried out Rollins at ILB cause he was so bad everywhere else, including safety.

But as I said, this is just gonna keep going in circles, so ill drop it.

26 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

They even tried out Rollins at ILB cause he was so bad everywhere else, including safety.

Bluffs with nothing all the way to the river, then folds hand. 

27 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Rollins?  ILB?

I believe you are thinking of Josh Jones.  The closest Rollins ever got to ILB was playing the slot.

31 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Rollins never played ILB. The closest he might have ever gotten is a dime back played over a TE in a coverage package.