Round 1: Pick #29; Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia

Packerraymond

I take no pleasure in saying this, but I made $250 betting the moneyline on Tampa as soon as it came out. I hate to say it, but GB shooting themselves in the foot in the NFCCG at home seemed like as much of a lock as you get in sports. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, R T said:

People want to kill Pettine and King for the play before the half, but there were plays before that were equally as bad but seldom or never get brought up. Once in awhile someone will point out that if Redmond would not have drop the interception with :18 second left that Tampa would not have had a chance for the final play for the TD. The one that is never brought up is Rodgers throwing a bad INT with :34 second left in the half. That was the domino that started all of it, yet Rodgers name never comes up for shouldering any of the blame.     

I mean I would have cut Redmond at half and never let him suit up for GB again after that dropped INT. But I'm just a guy who overreacts...

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I mean I would have cut Redmond at half and never let him suit up for GB again after that dropped INT. But I'm just a guy who overreacts...

Yes you are. 

23 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'd have been okay with him being cut then TBH lol

But ONLY if it was to sign Dez Bryant

What about Jake Kumerow? If Packers had signed Kumerow, Rodgers would have been happy. If he were happy, he would not have thrown that INT before half. If he hadn't thrown the INT before half, King doesn't get burned. If King doesn't get burned, we win the Super Bowl. If we win the Super Bowl, Rodgers isn't in Hawaii right now with a man bun. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I legit had a dream this weekend that we signed DB. Maybe that's why I drank for 12hrs yesterday

If/when you're dreaming about Packer football.....time's come to change the frequency :)

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I would have after his first two games on the field.  I would have been proactive.

But, said it before, I'll say it again.  I'll bet he's the kind of player that knows the system and is coachable.  So he will be where he is supposed to be and know what his role is supposed to be.  Just can't finish plays like catching an easy INT or tackling a ball carrier in space.  But I'll bet coaches love him.

40 minutes ago, Leader said:

If/when you're dreaming about Packer football.....time's come to change the frequency :)

I tend to dream about the last thing I was thinking about and stuff before sleep. Like last night I was watching law and order and I dreamed I was part of some court case or some ****. If I check FF before bed often I'll dream some random *** GB stuff even if it was the only time I was on here for days. Dreams are weird man

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I tend to dream about the last thing I was thinking about and stuff before sleep. Like last night I was watching law and order and I dreamed I was part of some court case or some ****. If I check FF before bed often I'll dream some random *** GB stuff even if it was the only time I was on here for days. Dreams are weird man

My dreams are all over the damn place and it's NEVER about what I was thinking about or doing before I went to bed. I wish it was because I would have some AWESOME dreams lol. Sometimes its about work after I start a new job but, other than that, it's always something completely random that blends in all kinds of crap from my life into one big hodgepodge of a dream. Like, I'll be in my dad's old house but then we'll go down into the basement and it's the tunnel system from the college I went to lmao. 

My brain just refuses to shut off until I pass out and even then it goes haywire while I dream. I also remember every dream I've ever had and it gets to be a bit much. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My dreams are all over the damn place and it's NEVER about what I was thinking about or doing before I went to bed. I wish it was because I would have some AWESOME dreams lol. Sometimes its about work after I start a new job but, other than that, it's always something completely random that blends in all kinds of crap from my life into one big hodgepodge of a dream. Like, I'll be in my dad's old house but then we'll go down into the basement and it's the tunnel system from the college I went to lmao. 

My brain just refuses to shut off until I pass out and even then it goes haywire while I dream. I also remember every dream I've ever had and it gets to be a bit much. 

Oh I still have random *** **** and I'm the worst with that end part too. Some days it will just not shut the **** off. But I'm like that all day anyways. Unless I'm drinking. Then I'm good. See there's why I drink. I have an excuse now

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, Norm said:

You should try some dry ones.......

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

this is foolish....................

No, I always jump on this when I see it, so I'll bite my lip this time, except to briefly say "When was the last time there were MORE than 32 first round graded players ?

Stokes was the last guy in Gute's tier. Gute speaks of round one players. Stokes very well was his last. But the next tier was very deep imo, unlike 2020. Move back was smart if Stokes wasn't there. This class had solid depth but the top tier was gone.

That said, I hated this pick and Myers (center in round 2). I've been trying to warm up to Stokes for 10 weeks.

But now I understand. Stokes is 100% a Ron Wolfe (Al Davis) pick. I didn't know he ran a legit 4.2 (and his HS coach said he never ran slower than 4.3). GB values this prospect more than most and it was a deeeep cb class or normally he is gone. Great compliment to Jaire in the passing game.

Stokes is Sam Shields but several years ahead in the position. Shields had better hips, Stokes seems twitchier. I think Shields is his floor & and Shields took years to develop.

Speed is everything. I do believe Gute thinks it was a steal esp with Jaire and the present long 2010 rebuild. Just need a slot guy now. But Jaire, man!!!! He is better than anyone we ever had. Maybe except CWood in 2009.

Exciting. I can't see that they don't have a top five D this year with a jump from Savage and Gary.

I can say I can now agree with Gute not moving back which I really wanted. Everything I hear about Stokes tells me he is high floor high ceiling, and actually low risk for CB2. The longest pass he gave up was 23 yards. If that's all he does, he fills the biggest weakness.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 3:47 PM, JaireAlex said:

Stokes was the last guy in Gute's tier. Gute speaks of round one players. Stokes very well was his last. But the next tier was very deep imo, unlike 2020. Move back was smart if Stokes wasn't there. This class had solid depth but the top tier was gone.

That said, I hated this pick and Myers (center in round 2). I've been trying to warm up to Stokes for 10 weeks.

But now I understand. Stokes is 100% a Ron Wolfe (Al Davis) pick. I didn't know he ran a legit 4.2 (and his HS coach said he never ran slower than 4.3). GB values this prospect more than most and it was a deeeep cb class or normally he is gone. Great compliment to Jaire in the passing game.

Stokes is Sam Shields but several years ahead in the position. Shields had better hips, Stokes seems twitchier. I think Shields is his floor & and Shields took years to develop.

Speed is everything. I do believe Gute thinks it was a steal esp with Jaire and the present long 2010 rebuild. Just need a slot guy now. But Jaire, man!!!! He is better than anyone we ever had. Maybe except CWood in 2009.

Exciting. I can't see that they don't have a top five D this year with a jump from Savage and Gary.

I can say I can now agree with Gute not moving back which I really wanted. Everything I hear about Stokes tells me he is high floor high ceiling, and actually low risk for CB2. The longest pass he gave up was 23 yards. If that's all he does, he fills the biggest weakness.

I hated the Myers pick more because his athleticism is overrated. On the other hand, Myers is a high football IQ guy, a versatile player in that he's not pigeon-holed into one set position, and his mechanical issues(vertical posture, hand placement/technique) should easily be corrected by our coaching staff; our strength-n-conditioning program has produced better results for our players as of late which, as I've probably already mentioned, may be the trick to unlocking untapped athleticism within Josh Myers. If he can correct some of his footwork to drive block a bit better we'll have more success running off A-gap because we're going to be seeing a lot of running between the Tackles with Love at QB; especially with Deguara coming back as an H-Back and Dominique Dafney continuing to quickly improve.

In regards to Stokes, you mention speed several times and you're right in that it was a Ron Wolf/Al Davis pick all the way but I don't think his hips are tight enough to be of concern. The real concern with Stokes is his play strength, but the good news is that he'll probably be lined up both outside and inside so long as his instincts can continue to improve. Additionally, I have to go back to that discussion we had regarding match-style coverage and imply that speed is key for this coverage style to work. One of Stokes' best speed attributes is that he can rapidly recover if he loses the beginning of the rep or if he gets turned around downfield. Pretty sure that's why the longest pass he gave up was 23 yards and I'm willing to bet it was a 50/50 in which the receiver out-muscled him.

Edited by Joe

On 7/17/2021 at 2:47 PM, JaireAlex said:

Have a cousin who attended all his college games and told me that Stokes is the real deal.  Fast, good instincts ... going to be a heck of a player for GB.  Think he will make a very nice combo cb.