Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

No one said that the Steelers would tank but most think they will do worst.  If you consider that tanking then okay.

Playing a known failure (e.g. Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins, Johnny Manziel) instead of a possible success (literally, anyone else) is the very definition of [deliberate] tanking.  That is not a Steeler thing.  There's even a John Prine lyric to this effect:

"Steady losin' means you ain't usin'
      what you really think is right."

The Steelers are so far from contending.

Nine wins and a tie with 4 starters on IR and an aged QB in his third year of disintegration isn't contending?

If you are not drafting a 1st round QB you are getting on with risks that make them fall (i.e. developmental QB).

In a normal year this would be true.  This is what is unique [so far] about the 2022 QB draft:  very few buyers, much maligned merchandise.

They need to get an Oline that will complement Najee's style (RT, OG possibly C).

Agreed.

They need depth on the Dline plus ILBs that can make plays.

,,,whom they can acquire in free agency or later on in the draft.  Steeler fans don't need perfection;  they just need improvement, however slight.  Given the way Ben (37th) and his blockers (31st) played this year, that shouldn't be a problem.

On 2/5/2022 at 7:17 PM, Rich7sena said:

It doesn't? I feel like we keep seeing that it does.

No, it doesn't. You have to be be to pass the ball. That is who the final 4+ teams were. Sure a QB can take off now without worrying about getting tackled but the winners look downfield first. This guy did nothing like that. It was put head down and run if primary was not open. He's simply a colossal bust in the Haskins mold. This bum is inaccurate.

Edited by lod01

38 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Playing a known failure (e.g. Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins, Johnny Manziel) instead of a possible success (literally, anyone else) is the very definition of [deliberate] tanking.  That is not a Steeler thing.  There's even a John

Nine wins and a tie with 4 starters on IR and an aged QB in his third year of disintegration isn't contending?

Ben had 7 4th quarter comebacks this past season.  So they needed their aged QB on his last leg to pull out most of their wins.  Who are they going to get who can match that?  Rudolph is no worst than drafting any of these QBs because NONE OF THEM SHOULD START A GAME.  All of them need developmental time. 

Spending a 1st round pick on a QB that is not a franchise QB is a total waste of a pick.  None of 2022 QBs are franchise QBs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

Ben had 7 4th quarter comebacks this past season.

Be wary of surgeons who are good at fixing their mistakes.

So they needed their aged QB on his last leg to pull out most of their wins.  Who are they going to get who can match that?

Any of the top 4-5 QBs coming out should do.  It's not like the bar hasn't been set so low an earthworm couldn't clear it in street shoes.  I'm curious:  Which of the newcomers do you feel could not finish better than 37th in a 32 team league?

Rudolph is no worst than drafting any of these QBs because NONE OF THEM SHOULD START A GAME.  

Wait.  Are you trying to argue that Ben was not hopeless this year?  Or that Mason Rudolph is a serious option?

All of them need developmental time.

All the more reason to take a possible starting QB this year (preferably in the second round).  Why waste a year?

Spending a 1st round pick on a QB that is not a franchise QB is a total waste of a pick.  None of 2022 QBs are franchise QBs.

Not yet, no.  As you say:  "All of them need developmental time."

If there were three guaranteed HOF QBs in this draft it wouldn't help the Steelers.  They'd all be gone long before #20.  You want to wait until next year?  Same thing:  because of their talent and coaching the Steelers won't have anywhere near the requisite draft position or capital to get a top prospect.  Meanwhile, the rest of the talent is getting older and restless.  Tanking isn't as much fun as it sounds.

It is only the mediocrity of this crop that gives the Steelers any shot at a top 3 QB in the first round or a top 5 one in the second.

13 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Explain

I told you back then the same thing I do now, they had 8 NFL receivers on that Ohio State team if you include the TE Farrell not to mention JK Dobbins at RB, so that is nine NFL offensive weapons.   Granted not all of them are great or even good NFL players but all made it to the league or are in the league still.

You put Malik Willis or any other QB that is so called less talented than Dwayne Haskins on that team you think he would not have success?  Mind you I think many in this draft are just as good of a prospect as Dwayne Haskins was in terms of overall talent.  

I did not like Dwayne Haskins back then and I do not now, and again I said the same thing then that I do now, he is a product of the circumstance and the talent around him on Ohio State which clearly made him look better than he actually is.  He has done nothing yet in the NFL to prove otherwise.

It's interesting to me how many people have written this class off. I remember how many people disliked the 2017 QB class. That class didn't end up too shabby. I fully recognize that each QB in this class has major question marks and flaws. But there were A LOT of people on this board who didn't like Patrick Mahomes as a prospect. And I hated Josh Allen as a prospect (as did many others). All this to say, I'd keep an open mind with this class.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's interesting to me how many people have written this class off. I remember how many people disliked the 2017 QB class. That class didn't end up too shabby. I fully recognize that each QB in this class has major question marks and flaws. But there were A LOT of people on this board who didn't like Patrick Mahomes as a prospect. And I hated Josh Allen as a prospect (as did many others). All this to say, I'd keep an open mind with this class.

On top of that, listening to the pundits and who their 1 or 1A is interesting because they're all different. I was listening to local radio this morning and one of the guys from PFF had Ridder as his 1A and Willis as his 1B. The next guy had Howell at 1 and Pickett at 2. 

I think we're definitely seeing some situations where one team might love a QB, but if they don't take him, let the free fall begin. And that's with multiple guys.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I told you back then the same thing I do now, they had 8 NFL receivers on that Ohio State team if you include the TE Farrell not to mention JK Dobbins at RB, so that is nine NFL offensive weapons.   Granted not all of them are great or even good NFL players but all made it to the league or are in the league still.

You put Malik Willis or any other QB that is so called less talented than Dwayne Haskins on that team you think he would not have success?  Mind you I think many in this draft are just as good of a prospect as Dwayne Haskins was in terms of overall talent.  

I did not like Dwayne Haskins back then and I do not now, and again I said the same thing then that I do now, he is a product of the circumstance and the talent around him on Ohio State which clearly made him look better than he actually is.  He has done nothing yet in the NFL to prove otherwise.

I remember, and I think my counter to that argument was those same NFL receivers did not blossom until Haskins became the QB, The whole offense changed when JT Barrett left and we were able to legitimately beat a team with the deep ball. 

That whole narrative of he just walked into a plush situation with all of these great returning guys is false, every single one of those receivers had something to prove coming into that season, he had a part in those guys becoming what they are today by being able to do what JT Barrett couldn't which was consistently, accurately get them the ball

You may not like him which is fine but lets not act like he was some scrub who didn't have success, did he capitalize on one great season? Yes, should he have stayed and matured? Probably so. I think as he matures as an individual, he becomes a better QB, all of his issues are from the neck up.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's a great point, the 2017 class is an example of how guys could blossom in the right system. This class can be the same, all of these prospects can flourish "in the right system", its just about finding the right fit for each.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That's a great point, the 2017 class is an example of how guys could blossom in the right system. This class can be the same, all of these prospects can flourish "in the right system", its just about finding the right fit for each.

This is true for any class honesty. Last year’s QB class was viewed as a great class and we all saw them struggle quite a bit their rookie year. This one I’m not necessarily high on but like you and jrry said, it’s comes down to fit, coaching and team environment for both classes.

For example, a guy like Desmond Ridder. If he goes to Atlanta in Arthur Smith’s offense sitting behind Matt Ryan for a year, I think that’ll do wonders for his career path. If he’s overdrafted and expected to come in right away to boost a team year one, I think he’ll struggle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

This is true for any class honesty. Last year’s QB class was viewed as a great class and we all saw them struggle quite a bit their rookie year. This one I’m not necessarily high on but like you and jrry said, it’s comes down to fit, coaching and team environment for both classes.

Yeah, last year's class, it seems like every one of those guys went to the worst possible situation except Mac Jones 

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

People liked the 2017 QB class just fine. The consensus was that there were 3-4 first rounders. And, even in a rich QB class like 2018, the odds aren't favorable that things are going to pan out. 2020's class might be relatively prolific if Tua pans out.

Ultimately, the draft isn't a complete guessing game, we have a decent idea of which players will be good. I think people are justified in being "down" on this class based on what we've seen. All the QBs in this draft will require a lot more projecting than in previous years, and the there is a strong likelihood that none will become franchise players.

13 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, last year's class, it seems like every one of those guys went to the worst possible situation except Mac Jones 

I think Lance went to a perfect spot for him.  Got a little playing time, got to mostly sit and learn, and is working with a coach that can build an offense around him.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I think Lance went to a perfect spot for him.  Got a little playing time, got to mostly sit and learn, and is working with a coach that can build an offense around him.

I don't see the fit, but that's me, I though Jones or Fields would be a better fit initially. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm still writing this class off. Never understood why 2017 wasn't highly regarded. I personally thought Watson was a slam dunk #1 pick and Mahomes skill set/ highlights were drool worthy. The stigma of "air raid qb" and "black pocket QB" imo are why they weren't universally highly regarded.