Madden 22

My biggest beef with EA on Madden is them trying to pass off that this is some big push to placate the fans of franchise mode. From their own words before, they generally redo franchise mode for each next gen, so they were going to do this work to the mode anyways.  Actually, if you look at it, this PR push to just "fix" the existing franchise mode is actually lazier than their normal dev cycle for franchise mode during next gen launches.  Previously they would have completely redone franchise mode from scratch for net gen.  By them promising to fix the existing mode lets them just patch up an existing mode that is obviously limited in scope.

Maddens franchise mode is built on the foundation of Connected Careers...their last true "rebuild" of franchise mode after Madden 12's franchise mode...which was already heading the right direction.

Maddens current franchise mode needs a page one rewrite....just like the animations, physics engine and presentation....but it will never happen unless they miraculously are challeged by another football game that pulls their customers away....which again, wont happen.

If they had consistently just built on top of what Madden 12 had, the game would be in pretty good shape right now.   

The last rebuild/overhaul of franchise is essentially what destroyed it.   Well, that and MUT combined with EAs greed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

Maddens franchise mode is built on the foundation of Connected Careers...their last true "rebuild" of franchise mode after Madden 12's franchise mode...which was already heading the right direction.

Maddens current franchise mode needs a page one rewrite....just like the animations, physics engine and presentation....but it will never happen unless they miraculously are challeged by another football game that pulls their customers away....which again, wont happen.

If they had consistently just built on top of what Madden 12 had, the game would be in pretty good shape right now.   

The last rebuild/overhaul of franchise is essentially what destroyed it.   Well, that and MUT combined with EAs greed.

MUT has become their only truly playable game mode... until they got rid of the gameplay that didn't need to be completely rebuilt. So they rebuilt it and it sucks now. I wish they didn't mess with the gameplay or the playbook situation. The playbooks were intuitive already, and then they messed it up for presentation reasons.

• Like 1

Actually, I've been thinking about Madden 22 for the past few days. I just realized something. Ever since I owned this PS5 (November 2020), I have been playing so many single player games. I think I've beaten like 9-10 single player games so far and I've been enjoying them a ton.

i bring this up because back when I had a Xbox 360 and Xbox One, I always just thought I didn't enjoy single player games much. However, it turns out I thought that because those consoles pretty  much had no good single player games.

Since getting the PS5, I've been playing mulitplayer games less, especially sports games. I no longer have the desire to learn "money plays," elite formations, learning timing, etc. Therefore, I think I won't be buying Madden 22. It's not because the game sucks or anything like that, but because I just don't want to put the time in to be good at the game anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

MUT has become their only truly playable game mode... until they got rid of the gameplay that didn't need to be completely rebuilt. So they rebuilt it and it sucks now. I wish they didn't mess with the gameplay or the playbook situation. The playbooks were intuitive already, and then they messed it up for presentation reasons.

It just boggles my mind how many times EA has taken one step forward then one or two steps back in almost every area of the game...which is why it feels like, outside of graphic textures, the game hasnt taken a meaningful step forward in at least a decade.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, showtime said:

Actually, I've been thinking about Madden 22 for the past few days. I just realized something. Ever since I owned this PS5 (November 2020), I have been playing so many single player games. I think I've beaten like 9-10 single player games so far and I've been enjoying them a ton.

i bring this up because back when I had a Xbox 360 and Xbox One, I always just thought I didn't enjoy single player games much. However, it turns out I thought that because those consoles pretty  much had no good single player games.

Since getting the PS5, I've been playing mulitplayer games less, especially sports games. I no longer have the desire to learn "money plays," elite formations, learning timing, etc. Therefore, I think I won't be buying Madden 22. It's not because the game sucks or anything like that, but because I just don't want to put the time in to be good at the game anymore.

Ratchet and Clank, Horizon: Zero Dawn and a few others have captured my attention lately. I'd be remiss if I didn't say I've been enjoying losing at Rocket League. 

12 hours ago, 43M said:

It just boggles my mind how many times EA has taken one step forward then one or two steps back in almost every area of the game...which is why it feels like, outside of graphic textures, the game hasnt taken a meaningful step forward in at least a decade.

Honestly, the game really isn't that different to Madden 2003 outside of graphics and worse gameplay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, showtime said:

This happened to me, with age, as well.  I don't know how old you are, but around my mid 20's, I started moving more toward single player and less online.  Now in my 30's, I'm not even sure what the last game is that I actually played online.  I tried an online MyNBA with some friends this winter, and couldn't even really get into that like I used to.

The lack of games on new gen has been a little disappointing, but not near as bad as I would've thought, because of what you're saying with the single player games.  I've beaten a lot of games that I never played before (Ratchet&Clank 2016, Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Control, God of War.)  I'm around 1/2 way through the FF:VII PS4 remake.  Going to start SWJ:Fallen Order after.  Started messing around in Mass Effect:Andromeda.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21
added to
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

This happened to me, with age, as well.  I don't know how old you are, but around my mid 20's, I started moving more toward single player and less online.  Now in my 30's, I'm not even sure what the last game is that I actually played online.  I tried an online MyNBA with some friends this winter, and couldn't even really get into that like I used to.

The lack of games on new gen has been a little disappointing, but not near as bad as I would've thought, because of what you're saying with the single player games.  I've beaten a lot of games that I never played before (Ratchet&Clank 2016, Persona 5, Ghost of Tsushima, Control, God of War.)  I'm around 1/2 way through the FF:VII PS4 remake.  Going to start SWJ:Fallen Order after.  Started messing around in Mass Effect:Andromeda.  

I'd highly recommend playing Rift Apart if you liked R&C 2016

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda first play through I was like, “Why the hate?”

Second play through I was like, “WTF with this game?”

I hope they continue the story, but that game sucked.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

Honestly, the game really isn't that different to Madden 2003 outside of graphics and worse gameplay.

Graphic TEXTURES to be exact.     Some people dont believe theyve had some of the exact same canned animations from the PS2 era.  Certain tackles, celebrations and running moves have looked the same for over a decade.   Pathetic.    The physics engine is terrible for a football game.

There ARE aspects of franchise mode that have been added since then that I like....but youre right.   The game hasnt changed much for the better since EA and the NFL monopolized videogame football.

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

Graphic TEXTURES to be exact.     Some people dont believe theyve had some of the exact same canned animations from the PS2 era.  Certain tackles, celebrations and running moves have looked the same for over a decade.   Pathetic.    The physics engine is terrible for a football game.

There ARE aspects of franchise mode that have been added since then that I like....but youre right.   The game hasnt changed much for the better since EA and the NFL monopolized videogame football.

The crazy thing is, the new system they came up with for the PS5 and Series X-box both make more sense than the last year's system, but the physics around it is so out of whack. IDK how to get this stuff properly coded myself, but I feel like 2K does such a better job with actual player movement in their basketball game, I'd love them have a shot at creating a real football game and not a NFL Blitz type situation.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, showtime said:

I don’t think think universally many would agree with the bolded. You had Oblivion Bioshock, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed (the sequels in the following years were much better), Halo 3 (campaign) all launch in the first two years of that 360 generation. And many followed after like the Arkham games, Fallout, was a banner Sony took up too when they launched Uncharted and have basically transformed their entire pipeline to be those 3rd person narrative driven games ever since.

Singleplayer has stayed fairly strong despite the hit from the middle 2010s when it looked like a lot of the greediest publishers were pushing teams away from it or making it loaded with nickel & dime Micro-transactions. Wether it be MUT, games like Anthem that took great SP studios and made them totally change why people liked them in the first place, dropping campaign in shooter franchises, or just not investing in games like Xbox did after the botched launch of the XB1.

Could it be that you are older? I know personally I transitioned off multiplayer as a focus as I left my teenage years (the height of the FPS era 2007-2010). Last 5 years I’ve almost cut out multiplayer entirely. 

I do think we’re going to be getting back to a great place with SP. They are seeing that if they actually commit to it the community responds and supports it. Jedi Fallen Order really seemed to change EAs mind (the massive dunking they endured for gutting BioWare, doing what they did to Visceral, etc. helped). 

On 6/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Outpost31 said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda first play through I was like, “Why the hate?”

Second play through I was like, “WTF with this game?”

I hope they continue the story, but that game sucked.

I didn't mean to go off on such a tangent.  I thought I was in the PS5 thread.  I'm still in the early parts of it, and I've never played a Mass Effect game, so I don't really know what to think of it yet, or have much of a reference to compare it to.  I've enjoyed the time I've had with it so far, not sure if it is something I will finish the main story of, or not.  I'm not a completionist, and don't care for fetch quests, so there is a lot in the game I just won't do.  Really waiting on The Witcher 3 upgrade to play it.  That's a game I never played, either, but it seems more up my alley.  Holding off on Batman thinking it might get an upgrade, too, closer to Gotham Knights release.  I'll move over to Random Game Talk, or the PS5 thread, if there is more to add.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

On 6/29/2021 at 3:42 PM, scar988 said:

The crazy thing is, the new system they came up with for the PS5 and Series X-box both make more sense than the last year's system, but the physics around it is so out of whack. IDK how to get this stuff properly coded myself, but I feel like 2K does such a better job with actual player movement in their basketball game, I'd love them have a shot at creating a real football game and not a NFL Blitz type situation.

I disagree. That was the worst game I've ever played regarding player movement. It was clumsy and clunky.