2021-2022 Coaching Carousel Thread

Texansfan713

45 minutes ago, Blue said:

They had Nick Saban for their coach for one of those and didn't have to play against him for the second (for which they were the first 2-loss national champ since 1960). Fair enough on the most recent one. But the current landscape of college football is drastically different from when Miles and Saban won titles at LSU. Notre Dame has made the playoffs and/or National Title game three times in the last ten years despite having to go unbeaten and not playing a conference title game every year*. LSU is going to have to beat Bama and play an extra game to get in unless the playoff expands--and then Notre Dame is virtually guaranteed a playoff spot every year too so long as they win 10 games like they have 7 of the past 10 years.

*Except 2020, where they lost the conference title to a team they beat earlier in the season.

I mean, sure you can add qualifiers like that, especially to 2007, but it's equalized by things like 2011, where they got screwed into having to play Bama again. It's easier to make the CFP at ND, but it's easier to win it at LSU.

• Like 1

@Blue you are correct on the math with what it takes to make the CFP and the road being MUCH easier at ND than LSU, but the lack of ability to consistently land those elite athletes really neutralize that aspect. Yes, occasionally ND is able to land an elite athlete at certain positions (see: Kyle Hamilton, Jaylon Smith, and a ton of offensive linemen), but as a whole, those guys don't exist at Notre Dame to the same level as an LSU, which has produced Jefferson, Chase, (Will Fuller is the closest ND has had to one of those guys), CEH, etc.

Throw in that $15 million annual contract that Kelly just got (allegedly), and these are major factors.

What's REALLY interesting to me in all of this, is if either UM or Ok State choke and lose, ND is probably IN that CFP...making the interim period an especially interesting one.

13 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

I mean, sure you can add qualifiers like that, especially to 2007, but it's equalized by things like 2011, where they got screwed into having to play Bama again. It's easier to make the CFP at ND, but it's easier to win it at LSU.

Oh I agree on that, but you can't win a title if you aren't in the dance, you know what I mean?

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@Blue you are correct on the math with what it takes to make the CFP and the road being MUCH easier at ND than LSU, but the lack of ability to consistently land those elite athletes really neutralize that aspect. Yes, occasionally ND is able to land an elite athlete at certain positions (see: Kyle Hamilton, Jaylon Smith, and a ton of offensive linemen), but as a whole, those guys don't exist at Notre Dame to the same level as an LSU, which has produced Jefferson, Chase, (Will Fuller is the closest ND has had to one of those guys), CEH, etc.

Throw in that $15 million annual contract that Kelly just got (allegedly), and these are major factors.

What's REALLY interesting to me in all of this, is if either UM or Ok State choke and lose, ND is probably IN that CFP...making the interim period an especially interesting one.

Michael Floyd and Golden Tate weren't that caliber of receiver? Chase Claypool? Even Miles Boykin? Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Cole Kmet, guys who were the first or second tight end drafted in their respective classes weren't that kind of athlete? Michael Mayer, who's likely the first tight end off the board next year and by all rights is the best tight end in the country?

If you want to knock on Notre Dame's talent level and athleticism, look at quarterback and the defense. Those are the areas we've really struggled to recruit top players at.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Michael Floyd and Golden Tate weren't that caliber of receiver?

Golden Tate was a really nice 2nd Round pick, and Michael Floyd was not up to that level, while being a nice college player. Compare that to the 4 guys Alabama has had over the last two years, not to mention their duo this year, or guys that Clemson, Ohio State, and LSU have produced, and that's what I'm saying I guess. There's a difference between "solid" and "elite" as prospects. ND has put out some ELITE TE, OL, and LB or S types, whereas their CB and offensive skill positions on the outside (and in the backfield) haven't been on that level.

Chase Claypool?

A very good WR, without a doubt, and I wanted him in Cleveland last year. However, he's not an elite athlete.

Even Miles Boykin?

No

Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Eifert, Cole Kmet, guys who were the first or second tight end drafted in their respective classes weren't that kind of athlete? Michael Mayer, who's likely the first tight end off the board next year and by all rights is the best tight end in the country?

I did mean to put the TE position in there but forgot; you are correct

If you want to knock on Notre Dame's talent level and athleticism, look at quarterback and the defense.

QB and RB as well

Those are the areas we've really struggled to recruit top players at.

Yes, the EDGE guys (I've liked some of their interior guys) and DB are very lacking. They've had some decent linebackers.

I believe that ND is very comparable to Wisconsin on defense. Well coached, physical, has produced some very quality Front 7 guys (albeit not the Watt brothers for ND whereas ND's interior DL is better), and the secondary hasn't ever been up to that elite status. I loved Love as a CB, but he isn't/wasn't that elite athlete that some of these other schools have.

I think that their WR and secondary, as well as obviously QB and RB, aren't what a lot of these other schools are/have had. 

Brian Kelly might be really close to the best pure football coach in college football. Some people are seriously sleeping on this guy. The guy is now chasing a national title and I give him a very decent shot of getting it done. No way in hell did I think they could pull something like this off but this is an elite hire.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Napier handled it that way. While both UF and ULL fans were aware that he was likely going, it wasn't confirmed until the day of the meeting with his team. The idea that your assistants are in a recruit's house without knowing you're planning to bail is frankly ridiculous.

I could be wrong, and it's ancient history now, but didn't Kelly do that with Cincy too back when he took the ND job to begin with? 

• Like 2