Pats @ Bills MNF Thread

The BILLievers

The Bills don't have a better roster than New England.

The talent was a bit closer when Tre'davious White was not done for the season.

Its not all that close now.

They did have a huge advantage in bad weather QB tonight but they could not play call or execute their way out of a paper bag in the red zone.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Exactly. Not exactly a huge sample to draw on. I'm sure there are a couple of others even, but it's limited. 

Does anyone believe that even as a rookie he's less capable of helping the pats get there then Jimmy was for the niners in 2019? 

Really just comes down to how much they'd have to lean on him. Would I trust them if they have to lean heavily on him? No. Do I believe he's capable of not messing up enough to let his very good team drive him there? Yes. 

That’s fair. I think I’ll say that my prediction is the Pats will face a situation where they need to lean on Mac, and he won’t deliver. 

-why will they face this situation? I don’t think they’re some juggernaut outside of Mac. They’re as talented as anybody in a weak AFC, yes, and very well coached in that they don’t make mistakes while capitalizing on opponent mistakes, but let’s not allow them to only be represented by their win streak. Ravens/Chiefs/Chargers/Bills are all capable of giving them a challenge where they’ll need to all hands on deck, and that just needs to happen in 1 game. 

-why won’t Mac deliver? That’s where I’m just gonna be lazy and point to history of rookie QBs in postseason. Granted I’m also not as impressed by him as everyone else. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Cold and needing a huge drive with not a lot of time left in abysmal conditions.  I think Mac's great but they were skating on thin ice and putting a lot of faith in their defense, which thankfully delivered. 

The box score is also misleading as to how effective the run game was IMO.  If you take out that one huge TD run from Damien on a busted play, they ran the ball 45 times for 158 yards (3.5 Y/A).  Rhamondre was a beast and averaged 3.3 Y/A.  There were so many negative and no yardage plays.  They went 3-and-out five times.  Outside of a couple drives and the big touchdown they really weren't moving the ball. 

Throw in a few screen plays and short play action, or even a few more outside runs, and maybe you open some things up, string together a few longer drives and put points on the board to build a cushion.  It was always going to be tough in those conditions but I really don't think the offense was that special tonight.

While I understand what you are saying about the inflated avg, how was it a busted play? It was perfectly blocked.

Just now, stl4life07 said:

Yeah this type of game suits the Pats so that could be the big reason why they won. Im just saying the Bills drafted Allen and paid him big money bc he has the arm to be able to throw in these conditions. He was an MVP candidate this year and was one last season too. Sometimes you have to win ugly and if you are that QB you have to win games like this. The weather played a big factor but the Pats regardless of the weather is going to try and ugly the game up while not shooting themselves in the foot. Thats where the Bills have to counter it and still come out on top. 

You also have to consider the fact that Josh McDaniels basically just called a football game like he was a 14 year old playing Madden and the Bills just couldn't figure out how to stop the same run plays over and over again.

Josh Allen and the Bills offense, for the conditions and what they were doing actually did fine I thought. The Bills defense just got manhandled in the trenches.

• Like 3

Just now, jofos said:

While I understand what you are saying about the inflated avg, how was it a busted play? It was perfectly blocked.

Absolutely phenomenal blocking, but there was literally nobody beyond the first level once he got past the LOS... like you call that play on defense on your own 5 yard line, not on the other teams 30

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah this type of game suits the Pats so that could be the big reason why they won. Im just saying the Bills drafted Allen and paid him big money bc he has the arm to be able to throw in these conditions. He was an MVP candidate this year and was one last season too. Sometimes you have to win ugly and if you are that QB you have to win games like this. The weather played a big factor but the Pats regardless of the weather is going to try and ugly the game up while not shooting themselves in the foot. Thats where the Bills have to counter it and still come out on top. 

Allen played fine, though. The drops by Knox and Diggs were far bigger than any mistakes Allen. It was that and the defense not being able to defend plays they knew were coming. I think Allen played better this game than some of his more statistically impressive one, he just didn't get the support.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You also have to consider the fact that Josh McDaniels basically just called a football game like he was a 14 year old playing Madden and the Bills just couldn't figure out how to stop the same run plays over and over again.

Madden 64

Fantasy Draft

Barry Sanders

Toss play left

Juke linebacker

Score

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Josh Allen and the Bills offense, for the conditions and what they were doing actually did fine I thought.

Idk man.  Allen was super impressive with some of those throws, but they scored 1 touchdown on a drive that started on New England's 14 yard line.  That's a goose egg to me.

• Like 1

I think people are also overlooking how absolutely stupid the Bills were at the worst times, like boneheaded penalties and such.

Oh! On the flipside, the refs totally missed the d-lineman jumping on one of those plays at the end, right? Did he for sure jump? Looked like it.

Just now, DannyB said:

Oh! On the flipside, the refs totally missed the d-lineman jumping on one of those plays at the end, right? Did he for sure jump? Looked like it.

He flinched but not enough to draw a flag, I think. Looked like he picked his hand up but didn't advance into the NZ.

Edited by Apparition

I feel like the Bills would've won if they treated this game like a normal football game. Allen made some plays when they were in need of them. Repeatedly trying to establish the run for so long killed them. Let your franchise QB with a freakin' rocket for an arm (and awesome improvisation skills) show us that he can do it even in conditions like these. That deep dime to Diggs that he couldn't track was absurd. The Patriots literally played to not turn the ball over. It didn't even look like their goal on offense was to score, it was just to avoid turnovers. You can't let a team beat you like that.

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He didn't say win it, he said makes it

Fair enough.  But JG was 5-6 years in and not a rookie either.

But I get your point. If SF can get there with JG then Mac could with NE.

However this goes back to my point about how hard it is for teams to get the SB with a rookie QB because the playoffs are different (especially today in the passing era). And Mac IMO has not been winning games for NE but merely just being asked to not lose them. Just like PIT did with Ben.