Zach Wilson suffers knee injury, early fear is torn ACL

JiffyJag

5 minutes ago, Duluther said:

? Reports half an hour ago were saying “just” a bone bruise.

Terrible, if it’s actually a tear.

It's not as bad as an ACL at least if it is the meniscus. He may miss a couple of weeks, but I think typical turnaround time is just 1-2 months

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not as bad as an ACL at least if it is the meniscus. He may miss a couple of weeks, but I think typical turnaround time is just 1-2 months

Surgery to remove partial torn meniscus ranges 2-4 week recovery.  Bone bruise makes that bit more complex.  

Meniscus serves as a shock absorber for the joint (articular cartilage and bone).  Bone bruises can take multiple weeks to resolve.  

Articular cartilage gets nutrients from the bone, bone bruise means the blood supply to the area is disrupted.  

Will be interesting to see how NYJ works Wilson back. Feeling he might miss a week or 2 of regular season.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Surgery to remove partial torn meniscus ranges 2-4 week recovery.  Bone bruise makes that bit more complex.  

Meniscus serves as a shock absorber for the joint (articular cartilage and bone).  Bone bruises can take multiple weeks to resolve.  

Articular cartilage gets nutrients from the bone, bone bruise means the blood supply to the area is disrupted.  

Will be interesting to see how NYJ works Wilson back. Feeling he might miss a week or 2 of regular season.

To follow up here, I had an almost identical injury and procedure. While I’m not an NFL athlete, I was a college athlete and my surgeon is an NFL surgeon. It took me 4-6 weeks to get back into the field but realistically 6-12 months to get close to 100% from a strength, healing, and range of motion standpoint.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

From what I'm seeing a lot of doctors on Twitter are saying that 2-4 week timeline is optimistic, but regardless not being season ending is all that matters.

I think it depends on a few things that none of us really know.

1. meniscus tear being repairable or not
    1. partial menisectomy is a 2-4 week recovery for someone of that age and fitness level
    2. repair is a multiple month recovery (see Irv Smith in 2021
  2. extent of the bone bruise
    1. these can take weeks or sometimes months to full resolve.... severity/size/location of the bone bruise all matter
  3. how aggressive/conservative NYJ want to be with their potential franchise QB

meniscus is the shock absorber and helps to distribute the forces the knee joint will see during weight bearing activities.  removing part of the meniscus means you lose some of that shock absorbing structure.  the meniscus is what buffers the articular cartilage and bone from taking the brunt of the forces (running, jumping, cutting, etc).  

the articular cartilage gets a good deal of its nutrition from the bone it is covering.  with that bone having suffered a bruise, the blood supply to it is compromised for a short time until the vascular system recovers.  so now you have the articular cartilage with a decreased supply of nutrition from the bone (bone bruise) and potential loss of shock absorbing structure if a partial menisectomy being performed.

my feeling is the team will look more at the long term time range vs the short term.  4-6 weeks would be something that would not be surprising.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Danger said:

I think whether or not Wilson gets another chance in New York is more dependent on whether or not Saleh is still in charge next year, regardless of the team's overall record at this point. They really should trade for Jimmy G

SF are giving him the benefit to choose a trade partner. Considering Jimmy has self-respect and is a mature adult he will avoid the Jets.