Does the Rodgers trade REALLY solve NYJ's QB problem?

notthatbluestuff

As others have said, it solves it for a year. If they can't make a deep run this year then their QB problem still exists. Other than them having a stacked team, the schedule is why I say that.

- Their 3 unique games are against last place teams (Browns, Texans, Falcons)
- The 1 additional game (Falcons) is at home
- They're "at" the Giants which essentially means they have 10 home games

Everything is lining up as perfectly as it can for them.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

If I’m The jets,  I need a minimum 2 year commitment from Rodgers. I don’t want next offseason to hear one of this “well bro I don’t know I’mma retire” nonsense

What Rodgers says now and what he does next offseason aren't related.

He could say he will play 3 more years and then feel different in February/ March of 24.

Teams can't force a player to not retire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why not just set the conditions for the 2024 pick to something like:

• Becomes a 1st if he hits X production 

• Remains a 2nd if he doesn't

• Becomes a 3rd if he retires before the 2024 draft

He could retire after the draft.

49 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

So I’m out then. For the record I think the whole well imma retire bro is largely bs because he wants attention though. 

You are probably right, he loves attention.  

What you have going against you....in regards to him playing longer....is Brady.  If Brady truly is retired, then Rodgers only needs to play one more year so the ceremony will be all about him as the headliner.  

If Brady returns, Rodgers will play longer.  And I wish I was joking about that but I'm not.  

I do think that he will play 2 years.  He's going to enjoy the "newness" of a new team.  He should love your defense and your defensive minded HC.  He should love the offensive weapons.  I'll bet he uses the term "invigorated".  And "energized".  It'll last two years for sure.

Now, along the way, he's a complicated fella.  You will soon come to know things like perineum sunning.  Darkness Retreats.  You'll see him try to outsmart your media.  Troll your opponents.  And go into costume.  Enjoy the ride!

• Like 2

I mean- anyone is better than Wilson, so in the short-term, of course. 

It's a Band-Aid, though. I thought they should've gone for Carr, but perhaps they didn't want to spend a lot on a fringe top-10 guy. In my mind, they're a fringe top-10 QB away from the playoffs and being a headache for any team in the AFC. Of course, Rodgers' ceiling is higher, but they're likely only getting 1 good year out of him. Maybe two. His floor is also lower, too, as he may be mentally and physically checked out. 

I just feel that Carr brings more stability for a longer period of time. He could've been their starter for the next 5 years, and with the way Douglas is acquiring talent, I think they would've been very competitive for a majority of those years.

One thing is for sure, you don't want to whiff on drafting a QB (DUH!). It's a crapshoot when drafting a young QB, so I'm not throwing dirt on Douglas, but boy would the Jets be scary if Wilson became even a borderline top-10 QB.

Now, they have an ultra-talented squad, but they're in QB limbo, which is a terrible spot to be in going forward because for a majority of teams stuck in that spot- they waste whatever talent they have on that roster until they find a suitable QB.

Edited by WizeGuy

Lost in this whole trade fiasco is this...

Rodgers likes Wilson.  He's talked about that.

This move is both a "win now" move for the GM as well as an "I my not be an idiot" move for drafting Wilson.

Rodgers will work with Wilson.  Wilson will learn a ton.  If there is a way to make him not a bust, it is by sitting and watching Aaron for a while.  By all accounts, he was good to Jordan Love.  Probably because Favre was not overly kind to him as a kid.

I don't understand how anyone thinks acquiring Rodgers is a bad move for the Jets. It's very low risk/high reward in my opinion. They aren't going to have to trade a first round pick and it gives them an opportunity to salvage their former #2 overall pick.

If it works out and they win nobody will care about the retirement drama, if it's a disaster and they don't make the post season he just retires. Either outcome is better than trading 2 firsts for Lamar or paying Derek Carr if you ask me.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, CP3MVP said:

If I’m The jets,  I need a minimum 2 year commitment from Rodgers. I don’t want next offseason to hear one of this “well bro I don’t know I’mma retire” nonsense

And this might be why this trade has not been finalized yet.  NY wants more than a one year commitment from him and he honestly can't tell them for sure.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:27 AM, NYRaider said:

Why not just set the conditions for the 2024 pick to something like:

• Becomes a 1st if he hits X production 

• Remains a 2nd if he doesn't

• Becomes a 3rd if he retires before the 2024 draft

Way to easy to circumvent if you're the Jets and Rodgers.  Rodgers "retires" before the draft, and then changes his mind after the draft.  Jets are only sending a 3rd round pick and getting 2 years out of Rodgers.