Does the Rodgers trade REALLY solve NYJ's QB problem?

notthatbluestuff

What you will all realize is that the Jets have a very good set of weapons that were held back by QB play last season. Garrett Wilson can be a elite WR in the lines of Justin Jefferson type. Getting 1,100 yards as a rookie for the NYJ with horrible QB play shows how good he is 

Then you have Elijah Moore who was getting open a lot but had no opportunities, with a real QB he will breakout. 

The TE group is solid. The OL needs to improve. 

If Breece Hall can return strong from his injury, this offense will be lethal. Hall was looking like a top 3-5 RB. He was carrying us to a 5-2 record. 

We could have played with anyone last season, our biggest downfall was getting nearly nothing at the QB position, and also injuries because if Hall and AVT didn't go down I think we would have made the playoffs. 

Who else is legitimately available? We know Lamar is going to cost more than 2 1sts. What about Stafford? Would the Rams require a 1st in return for him? What about Tannehil? I feel like the Rams and Titans would both have a ton of leverage if they entered the mix. I cannot fathom why the Jets didn't even pretend to look at other QBs from the get-go. This deal would have been done for a day 2 by now.

Rodgers, Lamar, Stafford, Tannehil?

Wentz, Ryan, Bridgewater? Oof.

On 3/15/2023 at 2:33 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

Considering their goal is the Super Bowl? Isn't there a chance that Rodgers, well, just isn't the guy he was anymore? That the 2022 season was as much on him as his supporting cast? That the Jets are banking on the impossible: that the Rodgers they're getting is the elite, MVP-caliber Aaron Rodgers? That they've been sold a lemon by a Green Bay team who knew exactly what they were doing? That the promised land will remain an impossible dream?

Or do they just need him to be above average?

Yeah, getting Rodgers solves a lot of their issues. Their defense is really good, and they have some really good weapons on offense. Rodgers is still a really good QB. I think Rodgers will be around 30 TDs and like 4-5 INTs with the Jets. They would have a legit chance to win their division. Beating the Bengals and Chiefs will be tough, but they can do it because their defense is tough.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Who else is legitimately available? We know Lamar is going to cost more than 2 1sts. What about Stafford? Would the Rams require a 1st in return for him? What about Tannehil? I feel like the Rams and Titans would both have a ton of leverage if they entered the mix. I cannot fathom why the Jets didn't even pretend to look at other QBs from the get-go. This deal would have been done for a day 2 by now.

Stafford costs 30 million more to trade than to keep on the roster and is a 50 million dead cap hit (depending on when his option bonus is due).  I don't see how that's a real thing for the Rams unless they don't have to pay out the option until later 

Tannehill I could see happening

6 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

They did, they were talking to Carr but told Carr they wanted Rodgers. If the Jets didn't think they could get this trade done, they wouldn't be here right now.

It's just a matter of time, Rodgers is going to be the Jets QB. The Packers in no scenario are running it back with Rodgers. 

Bills have a top 5 QB but their problems aren't QB problems per se; and now they're off the rookie discount

having O-line, receivers, rushing O, coaching and defense issues don't count as QB problems if you ask Rodgers

wonder if any Jets will get fined for preseason workout infractions because they want to believe

Honestly, I'd be way more convinced if they just weren't in the AFC. In the NFC? Aaron Rodgers still might be the second best QB. Would've been the second best scoring defense in the NFC last year. They'd be favored easily to win either the NFC North or the NFC South. In the AFC, they might honestly have like the 5th best QB and trend towards being like, a 6 seed. So, it does solve the problem in terms of giving them a good QB. With where they are in the division and conference, though? The odds of actually going all the way still feel very slim with him, to me.

No bc they are the Jets. What the Jets don’t need is a 39yr old diva QB who it wouldn’t shock me if he only played for them one season then retire.

The Jets need a young franchise QB like the Jags, Bengals, and Chargers all got. And those teams in particular the Jags and Bengals have struggled a long time trying to find one but they kept at it and now it has paid off. I’m not suggesting the Jets go fully that route now but that shouldn’t be off the table. Go after Lamar who is closer to the what I just described than what they are looking at in ARod. 

My thing is when you have been a bad franchise for a long time that muscle memory to consistently made bad decisions is hard to go away. Do I think the Jets will win the title or be serious title contenders with ARod? No. But they seem to think so which bad franchises that get a little taste of success fall into that trap and think they are one QB away and it usually fail. Think Raiders trading for Carson Palmer back in the day. Think these same Jets trading for Brett Favre too.

18 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Honestly, that’s a question for me for 2023, let alone 2024. If Rodgers is to be believed, he was nearly fully committed to retirement…and the major swing was that the Packers floated his name in trades? Like, is that really going to be enough to grind out another season?

In my eyes, Rodgers looked checked out last season. Maybe not in full “IDGAF” mode, but in a defeated way. He knew the team didn’t have the juice last year. And he didn’t exactly go out of his way that offseason to get the team together either. 

I dunno. There are enough yellow flags given where he seemed to be at last season, during 2022, and at the end of 2022, that I’ve got my hazards on.

Dont agree with this take. The Packers were dead mid-season and made a strong push down the stretch to be in contention for the last wild card spot. 

4 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

Dont agree with this take. The Packers were dead mid-season and made a strong push down the stretch to be in contention for the last wild card spot. 

It’s all good. It’s mostly my opinion based off his body language/perceived attitude last season. Dude had way more “**** it” balls and you could see a different type of frustration last season than most others (in all fairness Rodgers’ attitude as a leader has been questioned for years). Obviously you always wanna do as well as you can and book that ticket to the dance if you can make it, but I don’t view Rodgers as having SB expectations for that squad. They didn’t have it last year, playoff berth or not.

Cool to disagree though, but just know I’m not the only one who thought that:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-believe-aaron-rodgers-dedication-declined-following-extension-return-decision-all-on-qb-per-report/amp/

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/.amp/news/buffalo-bills-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-checked-out-josh-allen-pat-mcafee

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/rival_execs_say_aaron_rodgers_body_language_is_worse_than_ever_looks_like_he_doesnt_want_to_be_there/s1_127_38027066

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2022/10/17/23408249/aaron-rodgers-packers-jets-bills-chiefs-giants

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/sean-payton-aaron-rodgers-body-language-drives-me-crazy

6 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

No bc they are the Jets. What the Jets don’t need is a 39yr old diva QB who it wouldn’t shock me if he only played for them one season then retire.

The Jets need a young franchise QB like the Jags, Bengals, and Chargers all got. And those teams in particular the Jags and Bengals have struggled a long time trying to find one but they kept at it and now it has paid off. I’m not suggesting the Jets go fully that route now but that shouldn’t be off the table. Go after Lamar who is closer to the what I just described than what they are looking at in ARod. 

My thing is when you have been a bad franchise for a long time that muscle memory to consistently made bad decisions is hard to go away. Do I think the Jets will win the title or be serious title contenders with ARod? No. But they seem to think so which bad franchises that get a little taste of success fall into that trap and think they are one QB away and it usually fail. Think Raiders trading for Carson Palmer back in the day. Think these same Jets trading for Brett Favre too.

When you have a playoff drought as long as ours, with a team as talented as ours, you try to win. Without playoffs people are probably getting fired. And it sucks because I think Douglas and Saleh have brought a winning caliber of culture to the Jets, its just a matter of time. 

I agree it would be nice if we had a young franchise QB, but those aren't super easy to find. We drafted a QB 2nd overall who has all the talent in the world but mentally just isn't getting it, maybe sitting behind Rodgers helps him? 

The Jets trade for Favre wasn't terrible, we were 8-3 before Favre got injured. Favre then went to the VIkings and threw for 33 TD 7 INTs and brought the VIkings to the NFC Championship game. 

Think Peyton Manning to the Broncos, Tom Brady to the Bucs. I think it could boost us to make us a contender. 

I think Rodgers can still play at a very high level, last season he played with bums. The Packers seemed to not really care about winning and gave him mediocre players to throw to. Him coming to the Jets he will have much better WRs and a much better defense.  The Jets destroyed the Packers physically last season, Rodgers made some great throws during that game, other than that the Jets were a better team. 

Yeah the AFC is tough, but there wasn't a team we couldn't beat if we had better QB play last season. I think Rodgers is coming to the Jets with a chip on his shoulder. 

38 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

When you have a playoff drought as long as ours, with a team as talented as ours, you try to win. Without playoffs people are probably getting fired. And it sucks because I think Douglas and Saleh have brought a winning caliber of culture to the Jets, its just a matter of time. 

I agree it would be nice if we had a young franchise QB, but those aren't super easy to find. We drafted a QB 2nd overall who has all the talent in the world but mentally just isn't getting it, maybe sitting behind Rodgers helps him? 

The Jets trade for Favre wasn't terrible, we were 8-3 before Favre got injured. Favre then went to the VIkings and threw for 33 TD 7 INTs and brought the VIkings to the NFC Championship game. 

Think Peyton Manning to the Broncos, Tom Brady to the Bucs. I think it could boost us to make us a contender. 

I think Rodgers can still play at a very high level, last season he played with bums. The Packers seemed to not really care about winning and gave him mediocre players to throw to. Him coming to the Jets he will have much better WRs and a much better defense.  The Jets destroyed the Packers physically last season, Rodgers made some great throws during that game, other than that the Jets were a better team. 

Yeah the AFC is tough, but there wasn't a team we couldn't beat if we had better QB play last season. I think Rodgers is coming to the Jets with a chip on his shoulder. 

I just worry about Rodgers and his ability to work with the coaching staff. He knows Hackett, yes - that's a plus in many ways. I'm not saying that Hackett is a bum just because of his failure with Denver. In Green Bay however, when those two worked together they also had LaFleur as the ultimate authority on the offense (Packers fans can correct me if I'm wrong). With the Jets, the head coach is a defensive guy. If that means the offense will be run by Rodgers and Hackett, well... Hackett's Denver tenure suggests that he won't be "in charge" of much and the offense will really be run by Rodgers.

Edited by notthatbluestuff

On 3/18/2023 at 5:22 PM, NYJets4716 said:

What you will all realize is that the Jets have a very good set of weapons that were held back by QB play last season. Garrett Wilson can be a elite WR in the lines of Justin Jefferson type. Getting 1,100 yards as a rookie for the NYJ with horrible QB play shows how good he is 

Then you have Elijah Moore who was getting open a lot but had no opportunities, with a real QB he will breakout. 

The TE group is solid. The OL needs to improve. 

If Breece Hall can return strong from his injury, this offense will be lethal. Hall was looking like a top 3-5 RB. He was carrying us to a 5-2 record. 

We could have played with anyone last season, our biggest downfall was getting nearly nothing at the QB position, and also injuries because if Hall and AVT didn't go down I think we would have made the playoffs. 

Almost every WR is putting up 1,100 if they got 150 targets, regardless of who the QB is.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:26 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Honestly, that’s a question for me for 2023, let alone 2024. If Rodgers is to be believed, he was nearly fully committed to retirement…and the major swing was that the Packers floated his name in trades? Like, is that really going to be enough to grind out another season?

In my eyes, Rodgers looked checked out last season. Maybe not in full “IDGAF” mode, but in a defeated way. He knew the team didn’t have the juice last year. And he didn’t exactly go out of his way that offseason to get the team together either. 

I dunno. There are enough yellow flags given where he seemed to be at last season, during 2022, and at the end of 2022, that I’ve got my hazards on.

How short term memory loss prone are people that judge him so much on last year, a year which he played roughly half the season with a broken thumb?  He probably didn't GAF after starting 4-8 or whatever, especially after seeing Devonte traded off.  That move essentially closed the window for a QB playing at age 39.  Not too many would stay locked in at that point, especially with an injured throwing hand.

As for the Jets, they probably get 2 years of high quality (compared to their recent history) play on a team brimming with young talent.  Will it be enough to overtake the Bills and Dolphins?  Maybe, maybe not.  Or the Chiefs, Bengals, Chargers?  Again, not likely.  But they will make the AFC playoffs a 9 team race for 7 spots

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

How short term memory loss prone are people that judge him so much on last year, a year which he played roughly half the season with a broken thumb?  He probably didn't GAF after starting 4-8 or whatever, especially after seeing Devonte traded off.  That move essentially closed the window for a QB playing at age 39.  Not too many would stay locked in at that point, especially with an injured throwing hand.

It’s actually the opposite, if you had short term memory loss you’d have forgotten 2022 and focused on his career…

But anyway, it’s not about his play, it’s about how he (IMO) handled the season. Rodgers looked checked out. Rodgers was planning to retire. That’s not an easy thing to just change course on. It has nothing to do with recency bias or his previous level of play. I just don’t believe at an advanced age, when you’ve already seemingly had retirement plans this whole time, that you can reverse course and be just as focused or just as motivated as you have been before. Maybe he does it, but it’s a valid question mark.

• Like 1