Would you want a hands-on or completely hands-off owner?

Championshiporbust

An owner like Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft who say I pay you with my money, I want to be involved in how this team is being coached and run by the front office day-to-day, or the owner who doesn't know the players' name, has never even engaged with players or coaches, doesn't even attend Super Bowl trophy presentations or even attended a game in their lives, but lives off the wealth of the organization and the players? 

By far the hands off owner. I couldn't give less of a sh*t if the owner is involved. The only thing they can do is mess things up. Thrown your money at people who understand the sport, and get out of the way. Hands-on owners who are broke are another tier of god-awful

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

Let the owner handle the business side of things, let football guys handle football decisions. You're paying the GM/HC millions per year each, why undercut your own investment aside from an asinine level of hubris?

Because they can't help themselves. Billionaires who buy sport teams usually aren't the most humble people.

43 minutes ago, Danger said:

I like the middle ground approach Jeffery Lurie takes. He steps in when he thinks things are just utterly broken and the train is derailed, but he's not afraid to put his foot down if things aren't going right.

I would second this. There needs to be enough involvement from the owner to know when to make changes and who’s right for the job, and the like. But otherwise, let the football people make football decisions.

• Like 3

I think a lot of people have this idea that Jim Irsay is a hands on owner and they use the Frank Reich/Jeff Saturday situation to push that. But Bill Polian has always said that Jim Irsay backed every decision he made in his 14 years in Indy. He did say that Irsay paid the bills and had final say in how his own money was spent but that he always greenlit every signing Polian presented to him.

When Polian was fired he had started to transition to VP and make his son Chris the eventual GM. Having all the money tied up in veteran players who were mostly injured (Manning, Bob Sanders, Dallas Clark and Gary Bracket) left the roster thin though

the worst of Irsay was when he was going to fire Ryan Grigson and was talked out of it by Chuck Pagano and then extended both of them. He then fired Grigson the next year and Pagano a year later. 

• Like 1

I need like a few things from the owner:

1. Hire and fire the right person at the right times in the front office and then stay out of the way and let them work and delegate 

2. Open up your checkbook and pay good players

3. Value the fans and winning when it comes to what you say and do.

Basically be someone like Ralph Wilson or one of the Rooneys.

• Like 1

I myself would be a heavily involved owner

I'd try to hire the right guys and let them run it, but I'd love to just be in there to watch and learn
not to say "Hey I want it this way or that way" but just to observe since I myself enjoy every facet of the game

I think its important to let them make the decisions but I would certainly be asking questions as to why, not about everything to the point of being annoying but just to learn myself

• Like 1

Depends in the owner.

A good owner is smart enough to realize he doesnt have the knowledge to manage the team, and will delegate more qualified people to do so.

A bad owner thinks he knows everything and wants a hand in everything the team does.

There have been some incredibly knowledgeable owners who could put on the GM hat and have success, but those are rare.    Most owners should primarily focus on the non-football aspects of running a team and let the coaches and GMs handle the on field stuff.   Only get involved if said GM and coach aren't working out.

Both can work but IMO I want a "Fan" owner. Someone who is passionate about the team and will open up the check book for it but doesn't meddle in the football decisions outside of when things really go south. 

I think Dunning-Kruger mixed with illusory superiority really hits hard for people in the tax bracket of an NFL owner. I would not want one running personnel decisions in the slightest. Sit back, hire the best people you can, and enjoy the ride in your box. If things go south step in and repeat step 1. 

I think an often overlooked advantage the Packers have is the lack of a true owner and the GM is simply another person putting all their time and energy into the Packers. 

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Both can work but IMO I want a "Fan" owner. Someone who is passionate about the team and will open up the check book for it but doesn't meddle in the football decisions outside of when things really go south. 

I think Dunning-Kruger mixed with illusory superiority really hits hard for people in the tax bracket of an NFL owner. I would not want one running personnel decisions in the slightest. Sit back, hire the best people you can, and enjoy the ride in your box. If things go south step in and repeat step 1. 

I think an often overlooked advantage the Packers have is the lack of a true owner and the GM is simply another person putting all their time and energy into the Packers. 

I agree with this. It's why I like Arthur Blank. He opens the checkbook. He was a little meddlesome during the biggest piece of success and it backfired, so he's now taking a backseat to TF and AS on football decisions and I'm glad he did.