Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Wasn't there a hiccup where someone was tabbed as the successor but turned out to be a bad fit for the position, or am I thinking of when they were grooming TT's replacement? 

John Jones, or Jack Jones or something?

Peter Bukowski -   Preston Smith had more pressures and a higher pressure rate than Robert Quinn last year, but HALF the sacks. I didn't realize Quinn's pressure numbers were so low. He converted sacks at an incredibly high rate.

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Jim Jones.  He had the idea that we could drink the orange kool-aid, but those are Bears colors.  We only drink lime or lemon flavor.  

Are you old enough to remember apple flavored kool-aid? That stuff was so damn good!

5 minutes ago, Tperk said:

Are you old enough to remember apple flavored kool-aid? That stuff was so damn good!

I don't remember apple kool-aid when I was a kid.  I did try some green apple a couple of years ago.  I determined that I don't remember how to make kool-aid properly.  It tasted like I just dissolved sugar in water.  That wasn't bad, but it wasn't apple either.  

13 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't remember apple kool-aid when I was a kid.  I did try some green apple a couple of years ago.  I determined that I don't remember how to make kool-aid properly.  It tasted like I just dissolved sugar in water.  That wasn't bad, but it wasn't apple either.  

G4rW.gif

PFF highlights Sammy Watkins as 1 of 7 WR's headed for a bigger role in 2022. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-wide-receivers-bigger-roles-2022-gabriel-davis-sammy-watkins

SAMMY WATKINS, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Unprompted, Bert Whigham — Gabriel Davis' trainer quoted above — talked up Watkins, who’s also working out in Orlando with Davis. The Packers’ wide receiver room is wide open between Watkins, Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb, second-round pick Christian Watson, fourth-round pick Romeo Doubs, seventh-round pick Samori Toure, 2021 third-round pick Amari Rodgers and others.

Watkins played only 457 snaps last season and caught 27 passes for 394 yards with a touchdown in 2021. He didn’t catch a pass after Week 13.

“That guy is going to be good for the Packers. He started working with us like seven weeks ago, and he said he wanted to be ‘college Sammy.’ Sammy is going to have a big year. He told me, ‘I want to be Clemson Sammy Watkins.’ And I was like, ‘OK, let’s do it.’ He’s just up there squatting 405 for eight right now like it’s nothing. He started around 218, and he’s at 225 right now, too. He’s going to go be a No. 1 in Green Bay.

“Sammy’s going to kill it. I have no doubt. He hasn’t trained like this since college. He’ll say that. ‘I haven’t worked like this since college.’ We’re spending two-and-a-half, three hours on the field in this heat every day. And that sounds crazy, but that’s what your body has to go through so when you get to camp, it’s easy. And that’s been the knock on him. He gets hurt. Well, he hasn’t pushed his body in the offseason, and he’ll admit that.”

That is an interesting article.  Pretty much says Sammy hasn't trained in the off-season the past how many years and that has hurt him.  So, he's training hard now and bulking up to have better production and availability.

Could be a puff piece, but we shall see.  Certainly an interesting read.

• Like 1

My only concern would be that he could be bulking up too much. If he's at 225, that's 14 pounds heavier than his combine weight. Hope he's not sacrificing flexibility and speed for strength. 

Still, he's working with a trainer, so that's likely a good thing. 

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That is an interesting article.  Pretty much says Sammy hasn't trained in the off-season the past how many years and that has hurt him.  So, he's training hard now and bulking up to have better production and availability.

Could be a puff piece, but we shall see.  Certainly an interesting read.

Lets hope for the best .. biggest issue for him has always been nagging injuries.