Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

I also thought the shot at Mike Daniels snuck in there was eyeopening. Basically being called a fake tough guy. Hopefully LaFleur can get this culture right, this team needs a wake up call.

I got yelled at for suggesting this early this offseason when debating moving on from Daniels.

32 minutes ago, Chili said:

Woah. Just read the full article. So much to digest.

Before I get into that, just a random thought based on this article - after covering our bases in free agency putting us in a position to draft BPA could we be targeting a QB with our #12 pick?

Thompson is gone, McCarthy is gone, Capers is gone, the entire coaching staff is gone. The slate has been wiped clean and Rodgers is literally the last man standing. Do you think we will take it one step further and put Rodgers on notice by drafting a QB? draft a guy to develop over the next 2-3 seasons just like what we did with Rodgers?

Based on the article it sounds like Murphy and Gute are all in with LaFleur and they will be doing everything they can to help him succeed. If right now they feel that there's a slight chance that Rodger's might potentially hamper LaFleur's ability to successfully build a program in any shape or form then drafting a QB makes alot of sense here. Drafting a QB isn't something we have deeply explored on here but it might be time to start seriously considering the possibility.

This bit is very interesting to me. This implies that the source is someone high up in the organisation. Someone who was in the very same room when that phone call was made. How else did Dunne get the info about Murphy telling Rodgers "Don't be the problem"?. The pool of candidates in that room must've been very small,  You got Gute, Russ Ball, Ed Policy, Kelly Heim, Darryl Franklin as likely candidates. Despite this major front office leak if true sheds a light on the front office mindset towards Rodgers at this moment in time. This could seriously hint towards our mindset towards the draft, especially with two 1st round picks. Are we going to use one of them on a QB?

Before you all say "hey these guys gave Rodgers his contract extension willingly less than a year ago", you got to remember that when we decided to give Rodgers his contract extension in Aug 2018 everything was "fine"...McCarthy was still firmly in the picture and Gute was finding his feet as GM. Then the sh!t hit the fan causing a massive change across the organisation and we're now seeing things with fresh eyes and perspectives. I'm sure there might be some "buyers remorse" for a lack of a better phrase with the contract extension from the front office. I think we're all hoping that Rodgers will refocus and recommit to moving this program forward with LaFleur but it wouldn't shock me if the front office feels they need to take out an insurance policy in the draft.

I realize you put quotations around "fine" but if you read the article thoroughly, you would know this just didn't all of a sudden arise this past year. This has been an on going problem. If they don't go on that miraculous Run The Table streak, Mccarthy would've been gone after last year. The extension was still offered to Rodgers in the midst of all of it, and Rodgers still took the extension midst all of it. The MM Rodgers thing has been going on for years, its been reported about for years. I can go back all the way to 2012-2013 when the rule was if challenge an automatically challenged play, the play becomes unchallengable. Week 17 at MN, there was a play that was going to be automatically challenged, MM still through the flag as if he didn't know the rule! Jordy very subtly picked up the flag and hid it as Aaron blasted onto the scene screaming at MM. If that doesn't tell you what Rodgers thinks of MM's IQ then I just don't know. 

GB is notoriously tight lipped organization, especially at the top. I'd be very surprised if Murphy said those exact words to Rodgers, even though I hope he did get that message across. Why do we believe everything we read? Not just pointing out you of course but there's way too many people who are acting like this article is Gospel.

And no we aren't going to draft a QB with pick 12. Bring up Favre/Rodgers all you want, it was a different scenario. I'm not even sure I would want a young QB sitting behind Rodgers. Look how Favre treated his heir apparent, imagine Rodgers is the same way if not worst. And that just speaks to his competitiveness. 

Some casual observations..........

Andy Herman:  Ignore TyDunne’s article & the words of Finley/Jennings if you want. But there’s been smoke to this for awhile. Read Jeff Pearlman’s excerpts from Gunslinger. Everything adds up to what we’ve seen happen on the field. It’s damning & I’m honestly not sure I see things changing.

Aaron Nagler (regards the Bostick situation): You'd think those multiple sources would know that McCarthy couldn't cut anyone.

6 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Thanks for the link.

Took a bit to read the entire article but all it really does it was confirm what we kind of already knew.

Rodgers has a big ego.

McCarthy was poor at adjustments and his success was largely a product of the talent.

The article paints both Rodgers and McCarthy is a very poor light but I do think that the coach comes out looking much worse. Also, looked like there was a bit of blame also put on Murphy for letting this situation fester too long. I think having Rodgers basically made the organization complacent and slow to adjust/change.

The one thing that worries me still is how Rodgers feels about the lack of offensive playmakers surrounding him. He has Adams and an aging and underperforming Graham.

• Like 1