Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

MLF will suffer from the "but he has Rodgers" bias until Rodgers is no longer a Packer.  There is certainly some truth to that argument, but it completely ignores the fact that MLF is a huge part of what got Rodgers back on track after some regression at the end of the MM era.  There is no denying that the running game has really taken off under MLF, or how often Rodgers has wide open targets to throw to.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 4

Dumb linebacker question, guys.  

In camp there was much praise for Kamal Martin.  As the season has progressed, Barnes has won the middle linebacker spot, Kirksey plays weakside, and Kamal is 3rd man.  (Played poorly on Sunday in the snaps he did get.). 

It's been general board perspective that Kirksey hasn't been great, that Barnes and Kamal both look like future, and that Kirksey will be a cap casualty after the season.

Question:  Do I have that right?  And is Kamal's skill-set appropriate for the weakside spot?  Or was he really picked more with Barnes's role more in mind?   And he might not actually be a good fit for the responsibilities that Kirksey has? 

Guess I'm kinda just wondering whether next year, they'll be a match and a good fit, or whether both are really built for the one type of role, and they might not be utilized well with both playing together?   

1 hour ago, craig said:

Dumb linebacker question, guys.  

In camp there was much praise for Kamal Martin.  As the season has progressed, Barnes has won the middle linebacker spot, Kirksey plays weakside, and Kamal is 3rd man.  (Played poorly on Sunday in the snaps he did get.). 

It's been general board perspective that Kirksey hasn't been great, that Barnes and Kamal both look like future, and that Kirksey will be a cap casualty after the season.

Question:  Do I have that right?  And is Kamal's skill-set appropriate for the weakside spot?  Or was he really picked more with Barnes's role more in mind?   And he might not actually be a good fit for the responsibilities that Kirksey has? 

Guess I'm kinda just wondering whether next year, they'll be a match and a good fit, or whether both are really built for the one type of role, and they might not be utilized well with both playing together?   

If Pettines around we'll still see majority 1 LB sets. Someone will get drafted at the S/ILB spot. 

We'll end up needing them both. See how they grow, both look like they need some offseason work. Too early for me to say they'll never be able to cover well.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

If Pettines around we'll still see majority 1 LB sets. Someone will get drafted at the S/ILB spot. 

We'll end up needing them both. See how they grow, both look like they need some offseason work. Too early for me to say they'll never be able to cover well.

I haven't tracked all year, but the Packers have used 2 ILB on ≥40% of snaps in the last 6 gams.