Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, AustrianPacker said:

And we suffered a 2nd Punt return TD against the Eagles. 

I know it’s been mentioned here before but, Coombs got canned from Det for defying the interim coach in a game. That s*** won't fly in GB, and he should have been reprimanded, but he's supposedly a good young ST coach. Should be our first interview. 

For now, ST needs to know they are seen as a weak link and will be attacked.  I’m afraid of Rams defense but their ST is also capable of changing a game. I don’t know who we play but no game changing mistakes there in the playoffs! We’ve already seen that movie, no need for the sequel. 

Edited by Refugee

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

There's a pattern for every home/away game. That's how these best writers know it. It's entirely dependent on the division and not the team.

i.e We would be playing @ NFC south winner regardless and hosting NFCE winner regardless in 2021.

Exactly, you can see how the division will rotate for a few years ahead and which teams would have to play home and away vs. their parallel position in that division.

We played the 9ers at Lambeau in ‘18 when we played the entire NFCW. Last year and this year we played our parallel in the West away, we both had been 3rd and 1st in our divisions the year before. Add in the playoff game and we will have played in Santa Clara 4 times in a row by next year.

If the Eagles had won the East, they would have had 3 in a row at Lambeau.

To add to the gauntlet, there might be a 17th game added this offseason where we play our parallel overall seed in the AFC.  This would add KC to an already brutal schedule next year  

15 hours ago, Leader said:

Rob Demovsky -   The Green Bay Packers' 2021 opponents:

HOME - Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Football Team, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers.

ROAD - Bears, Lions, Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens.

////

Eventually I'll see a gimme game......I think.

Looks like we are facing 8 playoff teams from this year. 

The one good thing is that lots of these teams have massive question marks at QB:
Bears - Is Mitch back if not who?
Lions - is Stafford sticking around?
Saints - Bress retiring but they have won games over the last two seasons without him in the lineup
Rams - will Goffs regression continue?
Washington - PWill Alex Smith be back? Will he be any good?
Steelers - is Big Ben finished?
Bengals - will Burrow be back from injury by the time we play them

Only scary good QBs we face are Lamar and Wilson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Only scary good QBs we face are Lamar and Wilson.

There’s also a fairly reasonable chance that we move to a 17 game schedule and have to play KC.

I think some of the geriatric QBs could be worse but still formidable and younger guys like Murray could be a problem. Still, I agree it’s also about when you play a team as much as it is who you play.

Next year will likely be a tougher road so let’s hope we also get better and can find the fountain of health to keep us going in the year. 

15 hours ago, Leader said:

HOME - Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Football Team, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers.

ROAD - Bears, Lions, Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens.

////

I see DET (2), CHI (2) and MIN (2)

😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Could be, no idea. All I know is Aaron Jones is really good. 

I don't think anyone is disputing how good or great or special Aaron Jones is.  We all see it.  He's special and he's a playmaker.  He's a great kid and he's worked his tail off.  I think everyone would agree about those statements.

The issue is how much do you invest into a running back?

PFF ranked Aaron Jones as the #14 RB in the league.  His score was 79.4.

How much do you invest into that?  

When you answer that, what if I told you that Jamal Williams was the #28 ranked RB in the league with a score of 73.2?

Then factor in, this....AJ Dillon is tied for the #10 spot for RB's in the league with a score of 81.4.  Only he didn't have enough snaps to qualify.

No doubt Jones is special.  No doubt that most high end RB deals end up hurting teams.  No doubt that we have a very capable back already on the roster and another who should be fractional in cost.  And that is before the draft happens.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

You guys sure he's not special? 😂

Are you sure this is right?

Alvin Kamara is the first guy I checked and he's at 3340, 43, 5.0

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KamaAl00.htm

Chris Johnson had the cutoff missed by 1 TD if I can remove his 4th year. 

Frankly this is a really weird set of numbers. 3000 yards is 750 yards per year. That's a SUPER low number for any back with that efficiency and that TD production. It points to the evolving role of the running back and Jones' unique position of being all 3 of: A super talented RB, always the secondary defensive concern, and not the short yardage back eating average killing carries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Frankly this is a really weird set of numbers. 3000 yards is 750 yards per year. That's a SUPER low number for any back with that efficiency and that TD production. It points to the evolving role of the running back and Jones' unique position of being all 3 of: A super talented RB, always the secondary defensive concern, and not the short yardage back eating average killing carries. 

This is what I was alluding to: cherry-picking stats. It's a guy with a happy filter finger trying to find a way to distinguish someone.

19 hours ago, Leader said:

////

The schedule always looks tougher before the season. Then a few injuries happen, a few teams go awall, your D isn't 2016 bad, and your strength of schedule ends up around .500.

Example, before this season, looking at the schedule we thought we were facing a murderers row of QBs. The first subpar QB on the schedule was in November against Jax. We were scared that we played 2xCousins, 2x Stafford, Brees, Ryan, Brady, Watson, Cousins, Jimmy G, Tannehill, and Wentz. The only dawg QBs were Teddy, Jaxsonville, and Chicago 2x.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Didn't Jamaal Charles average like 6.5 for a few years?

I looked it up.  He was nowhere near the TD number needed.  And he only had 12 carries in his third season.

Edited by ThatJerkDave