Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Unless it's a QB, the NFL is No land for old men. 

Ray Nitschke and Reggie White were great players, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea to unearth them and give them a contract for the 2021 season. Dead or alive, let the old men rest.  

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Y'all need to stop trashing Clay Matthews III. We was awesome in his prime. The fumble he caused in the Super Bowl was the key play in that game. 

Packer Hall of Fame for sure. 

I think he gets plenty of hype for a guy with a lot of single digit sack years. His prime was pretty short.

Ryan Wood -    Jason Vrable says Randall Cobb has already caught up with Matt LaFleur's playbook: "The last 2 weeks, he's grinded." He also says Cobb has "no agenda" as far as his role. That could be important, given he overlaps with Amari Rodgers.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Ryan Wood -    Jason Vrable says Randall Cobb has already caught up with Matt LaFleur's playbook: "The last 2 weeks, he's grinded." He also says Cobb has "no agenda" as far as his role. That could be important, given he overlaps with Amari Rodgers.

If last night was any indication, it doesn't look like Amari is quite ready to take the league by storm as a rookie.  I'm actually kind of happy now that Cobb will be around this season to help ease Amari into the league.

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

If last night was any indication, it doesn't look like Amari is quite ready to take the league by storm as a rookie.  I'm actually kind of happy now that Cobb will be around this season to help ease Amari into the league.

Yes...but I think he'll actually handle the "in motion" plays better than Cobb simply because he's got the younger legs. I doubt we're gonna run those plays much in the PS.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Amari is going to look a lot different in this offense with Adams, MVS, Tonyan and Jones around him. Last night was irrelevant outside of the muffed punt. Gotta quit that ****.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 3:14 PM, Outpost31 said:

You can do a lot worse than Clay Matthews as your 4th string EDGE and backup ILB.

Bring him the hell back.

👎 He's been out of the league for over a year now. He was a shadow of himself prior to nobody wanting him. I'm sure his 40 time is about 5.0 now and his lateral movement is not what it used to be.

This has to be a joke.

Unless you want to bring him back in a coaching position.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

I also think GB fans tend to have an overblown recollection of how good Clay actually was at ILB

I don't think he was an All-Pro ILB or anything, but he was our best ILB for quite some time, maybe since peak Barnett, maybe even better than that: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2573618-packers-olb-clay-matthews-is-playing-ilb-better-than-most-of-leagues-ilbs

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-clay-matthews-move-back-to-olb-could-be-negative-for-green-bay

Also, per PFF (from another source) of 129 players with 100+ ILB since '09, Matthews ranked 29th. 

So maybe not Kuechly-level great, but also nothing to sneeze at. 

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 1