NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I've got a friend in the office who is a huge Cowboy fan.  He's not happy either.

But....he should be.  Mac is going to win a lot of games with the talent on that team.  His won/lost record is going to be among the all-time greats when he is all done.

It'll be fun to watch.  This was the spot that I thought was best for him.  Lots of talent, lots of money under the cap.  It'll be fun to watch!

I thought Carolina was the best place for him, but he should have plenty of resources to work with in Dallas.  The spotlight will be bright in Big D .. not sure how McCarthy will deal with that.  McCarthy does know how to run a program though, and I think experience won out for Jerry Jones.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I thought Carolina was the best place for him, but he should have plenty of resources to work with in Dallas.  The spotlight will be bright in Big D .. not sure how McCarthy will deal with that.  McCarthy does know how to run a program though, and I think experience won out for Jerry Jones.

There is a lot more talent in Big D.  And a big pocketbook.

Maybe the spotlight is "bigger"?  Maybe?  GB has been a pretty elite franchise, too.  

And yes to the experience.  I thought that team needed someone with a ring to let them know what it takes to win one.  Mac has that.  Now let's see what he does.  

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He'll be fine. He's more used than many to being on the big stage.

The GBPs played in a lot of big games during his tenure. Few other candidates could match that. 

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

He'll be fine. He's more used than many to being on the big stage.

The GBPs played in a lot of big games during his tenure. Few other candidates could match that. 

I thinking more of the media scrutiny than the team playing on the big stage.  The GB media is not exactly hard hitting.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I thinking more of the media scrutiny than the team playing on the big stage.  The GB media is not exactly hard hitting.

Understood...but I think that *perceived* aspect of MM is overblown.

I'm more than certain he could handle the NY media. If thats the case, he certainly could handle DAL.

Besides - how much "scrutiny" did Garrett get? No more than other HCs far as I could tell. In that regard, having Jerry as a lightening rod takes some burden off the HC.

On another note other than Mac … Greg Rosenthal has a good article just out.  A tidbit in it was cap space available going into next season.  Vikings were 31st in cap space according to OVERTHECAP website:   -3 million dollars!!  Packers were listed at approx. +38 million.  That's a big difference going into next year which bodes bad for them and good for Packers.  Going to be very interesting off season … in Gute I trust.

52 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

On another note other than Mac … Greg Rosenthal has a good article just out.  A tidbit in it was cap space available going into next season.  Vikings were 31st in cap space according to OVERTHECAP website:   -3 million dollars!!  Packers were listed at approx. +38 million.  That's a big difference going into next year which bodes bad for them and good for Packers.  Going to be very interesting off season … in Gute I trust.

The Vikings are going to be able to cut some underachieving veterans to be able to handle business. Not saying it will be painless for them, but they're not screwed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Just at quick glance, Xavier Rhodes is almost assuredly a cap casualty this offseason.  They save $8.1M by releasing him, and he's been miserable this year.  Linval Joseph is probably gonna get axed as well.  Everson Griffen probably gets restructured, or at the very least extended to lower his cap hit.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Just at quick glance, Xavier Rhodes is almost assuredly a cap casualty this offseason.  They save $8.1M by releasing him, and he's been miserable this year.  Linval Joseph is probably gonna get axed as well.  Everson Griffen probably gets restructured, or at the very least extended to lower his cap hit.

I think they have 2 or 3 CBs that are free agents as well. If memory serves me correct, Waynes and Alexander for sure. Might be another one too are free agents. That would be their top 3 CBs plus two starters on the d-line you mentioned. You throw in the age and wear and tear of 54 and 55 and this might be their last rodeo in MN for a while. 

Edited by Golfman