Josh McDaniels Decides to Stay with New England

WeaponX

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And realistically, unless he was bringing in guys from outside the NFL, most of those assistants that he was projecting to hire or linked to aren't going to have a hard time finding jobs if they're worth the hype.  The NFL is nothing if not a highly-regular exercise in nepotism and facilitating the good ol' boys club.

Yeah, but its hard to find a coach that isn't gonna want to bring his own guys. But you're right, even if they have to suck it up for a year or so, they will be well paid for it

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I've watched it happen myself too.  Not in my job, but my brother is rather high up in an executive-placement staffing firm and it's something they run into all the time.

Yup in my case it was a 6 figure salary (with a high 5 figure bonus to stay). Couldn't say no to that

40 minutes ago, Starless said:

Man, you're gonna need to sit down before you read what the other 30 billionaire team owners did to make their fortunes.

I’d actually rather enjoy reading this. Do you perhaps have a link or anything?

I don't feel badly for anyone involved here, really. Irsay is incredibly immoral rich person that whines, moans, tattles and stole an entire franchise from a city. McDaniels has a thing or two to learn about business ethics. Irsay shouldn't be hiring from New England with their mutual history, and he should expect things like this if he tries. The assistants he hired attached themselves to the wrong horse. It currently looks like they made the wrong choice. You never HAVE to take a job simply because it appears to be an upgrade.

I also happen to believe that McD would continue to be a terrible HC, so I don't feel badly for Colts fans either.

1 hour ago, stallyns said:

That actually doesn’t violate the Rooney Rule, when the Colts named Jim Caldwell as Tony Dungy’s successor they announced Dungy was retiring and Caldwell was his successor so they didn’t have to interview any other candidates 

Should we tell him?

• Like 3

Again, people need to be a little more mindful of the language they're using here.

McDaniels never "hired" any assistants.  There may have been agreements that when he was hired he would turn around and hire/get them hired, but he had no capacity to speak, negotiate, or hire on behalf of the Colts organization because he was still part of the Patriots organization.  Folks are tossing terms like "business ethics" around way too loosely.  The only thing that business ethics dictates he owes anyone he'd discussed potentially (because until he was in a position/capacity to actually do hiring himself that's all it was - potential) bringing on board is the courtesy of timely personal correspondence to inform them that that is no longer an option because he's no longer taking the job.

The notion that he ought to be obligated to take a job despite receiving what he deemed to be a superior counter-offer because he discussed potential contingencies with people is bleeding-heart absurdity.  But then McDaniels is an easy target.