Bears @ Cardinals, 9/23/18, 3:25 CT, GAME THREAD

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Let's micro analyze every single mistake and pretend other QBs dont make mistakes.  The footwork looked a lot better this week.  But yeah the games moving really fast for him right now.  And under pressure, well he has a top 5 rating under pressure right now so he must be doing something right.

Robinson had to slow up for the ball on the pass your talking about, it wasnt "underthrown". And it also wasnt almost picked.  It was a 50/50 ball to one of the best jump ball receivers in the game.  Those are shots we want him to take.  That was likely a rule throw.  Also he connected on the opposite side of the field later in the game sooo....

The throw across his body there is no excuse for.  You can't make that throw, no matter how much you trust your arm.  Hopefully Nagy drives that home this week when the watch the film.

And I'm not sure what double coverage throw down the field to Gabriel you are talking about unless it's the one where Gabriel got his clock cleaned late.  Which if it was, that was open and was the right decision.  Bad ball placementtho, which I chalk a lot of those issues to lack of preseason time.,

Yes Supe. That's the way it works. Every game is tight so every poor decision is going to be under a microscope. Sorry not sorry. He decided to play QB. 

Your first sentence in the second paragraph defeats the rest of your statement. He had to slow up because it was underthrown and almost picked.

The endzone throw down the field for Gabriel is what I'm referring to. There was a corner trailing and a safety ontop of him. 

Right now he needs to be a game manager and make the right decisions. He simply can't do what he did yesterday. 

27 minutes ago, GOGRIESE said:

Yes Supe. That's the way it works. Every game is tight so every poor decision is going to be under a microscope. Sorry not sorry. He decided to play QB. 

Your first sentence in the second paragraph defeats the rest of your statement. He had to slow up because it was underthrown and almost picked.

The endzone throw down the field for Gabriel is what I'm referring to. There was a corner trailing and a safety ontop of him. 

Right now he needs to be a game manager and make the right decisions. He simply can't do what he did yesterday. 

No a wr has to adjust to the football on a 50/50 ball.  Every wr in the league does the same thing.  That's how that play works.  The qb throws it up in a general area and it's the wrs job to adjust and come down with it, or keep it out of the defenders hands.  

As for the game manager comment, absolutely not. I dont want to just win games and make the playoffs this year.  I want superbowls.  I want. Qb who strikes fear in defenses.  All I'm concerned with Trubisky is that he is learning how to play QB in this offense the way Nagy wants him too.  I'm willing to go thru the growing pains.  Taking a win now mentality into qb development is how you end up in qb purgatory 

2 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm glad to see somebody else watched the same game I did.  Last week people bitched about everything being close to the LOS.  Not looking comfortable in the pocket.  This week he takes some shots down field.  Misses a few of those makes a few of those.  Looks a hell of a lot more comfortable in the pocket, and moved the offense up and down the field the whole game.  

People will always find something to complain about regardless. The only outcome that really matters right now is getting that W.  Can't believe people are actually upset about the QB play when we're 2-1 and should be 3-0 if not for a dropped INT by Fuller in week 1. Chillax people Mitch is still learning. Don't jump off the bandwagon too soon.

Lot of emotion in this thread. Yes, I was on a roller coaster yesterday, but here is how i am choosing to look at the season.

Did anyone here expect us to make the playoffs this year, or were you in the "we'll show promise this year, but next year is the year we take a big step forward." Personally, I fell into the second. I was expecting at least 7-9/8-8. After the make trade, 9-7 seemed reasonable, with the slight possibility we snuck into the playoffs, but if we didn't do great and still finished 7-9, I wouldn't necessarily be upset. Take this season as a learning experience, spend an entire year, 2nd offseason working with the same coaches/schemes/playmakers around you, and come back next year much better prepared. 

I'm choosing to compare this season to the 2015 Cubs. Scrappy, possibly overplaying our own level, but definitely not a pushover. Guys, we're 2-1 and in sole possession of first place in the division for the first time in like, 5 years. We just came back from a 14 point deficit, on the road, against a pretty good defense w/ 2 HOF talents on it (PP21 and CJ55), would anyone have expected that to happen last year?

Enjoy the ride. There are gonna be bumps, but things could be worse.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So which is it? Are you a bears fan pretending to be a packers fan or a packers fan pretending to be a bears fan.  Either way its trolling and @CBears019 has issued a warning to you for it before.  

If I'm not mistaken, this same user was banned from another Bears forum I frequent for trolling as a Packers fan. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The thing that bothers me is that there are continued lay up throws that are just missed. 3-4 more today that would have been 14 points minimum where the throw was just air mailed.

I did not expect Trubisky to look this rough.

I don't agree with criticizing him for specific throws or decisions. Mahomes has missed several wide open throws. Mistakes are going to happen and should be tolerated as part of the development process.

What concerns me is that I don't see many flashes. We don't make plays in the passing game and our coach seems to lack confidence in our QB's ability to make throws.

6 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

So which is it? Are you a bears fan pretending to be a packers fan or a packers fan pretending to be a bears fan.  Either way its trolling and @CBears019 has issued a warning to you for it before.  

Maybe I am a Viking fan :)   Seriously though, I am a die hard Bears fan. 

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't agree with criticizing him for specific throws or decisions. Mahomes has missed several wide open throws. Mistakes are going to happen and should be tolerated as part of the development process.

What concerns me is that I don't see many flashes. We don't make plays in the passing game and our coach seems to lack confidence in our QB's ability to make throws.

They're not making as many big plays as people want to see, I get that, but it's not from a lack of trying.  Mitch took about 3 or 4 deep shots yesterday from what I recall.  One of them he connected to ARob on the double move and the others he over threw/under threw both Gabriel and ARob. 

He also took some shots the previous game against Seattle so I think it's a bit of a reach to say they're not trying or that the coach doesn't have confidence in Mitch's ability to make plays downfield.

Right now the way I see it is that they are just taking a slow and steady approach with this offense with their young signal caller. I'm not trying to sugarcoat it, Mitch has definitely missed some throws he should have had but he's also made the plays he's needed to make to let the offense survive while the defense has dominated.

Sure we all want to see big numbers and points put on the board on offense but why risk giving up good field position by taking too many aggressive chances when you don't need to?  I mean don't know maybe it's just me...?

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Then why you posting nonsense in the Packers forum talking as if you're a fan of them?

In a moment of weakness I admit that I was trolling...To say we overpaid for Mack simply because they didnt land him p'd me off...Just hoping and waiting for the tables to be turned...

12 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Sucked? That's debatable for sure. I didn't think he sucked nor did I think he was good. He missed some throws for sure and almost threw a bad INT across his body. The one INT was tipped and caught through incredible plays by Jones and Golden, so not going to really fault him for that one.

All in all it was a mediocre performance on the road against a pretty good  and underrated defense that resulted in a W after being down 14 pts. So why are people complaining?

I'm on the side of giving Trubisky some slack, most definitely, but I do fault him for that tipped INT.  This is similar to last week in that he has to be more aware of where he is throwing in relation to the defender thats bearing down on him.  It was a great play by the defender to make the INT off the tip, but Trubisky should have foreseen the potential for that pass to be tipped and thrown the ball with more arc or higher to ensure that it wasn't easy pickings for jones to knock up in the air. 

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm on the side of giving Trubisky some slack, most definitely, but I do fault him for that tipped INT.  This is similar to last week in that he has to be more aware of where he is throwing in relation to the defender thats bearing down on him.  It was a great play by the defender to make the INT off the tip, but Trubisky should have foreseen the potential for that pass to be tipped and thrown the ball with more arc or higher to ensure that it wasn't easy pickings for jones to knock up in the air. 

Meh....you can say this just about any throw. Not all defensive players are that smart or athletic enough to make the kind of play that we saw Jones make yesterday to tip the ball, and better yet the play by the safety Golden to secure the INT.  It's why CJ is one of the best in the NFL at what he does.

Plus the play is happening so fast in real time you don't have much time to think in that instance you just react.  If Mitch puts a little more arc on that throw then maybe he completes it but maybe he also overthrows his target and then people would be talking about how bad of a throw it was when all he had to do was put a soft touch on it.  Let's give credit where it's due.

Archived