Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

38 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

nah. she only mentions them to me. i never met them or said a word to them before. 

Interesting. Honestly, you seem quite brave not having met them. I guess why not just ask her if one of her daughters would be cool to meet up? You sound like you have a great relationship. As a daughter myself, I might be apprehensive if my mom set me up. But you never know - her daughter(s) might be cool and or/welcome the idea!? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone experienced in a relationship where two people don't have the same primary language?  Ever since the original lockdown ended, I've been between locations for my boss helping out, and at one of them, there is a woman I've gotten along very well and there is a mutual attraction between us.  Her cousin, who I worked with for years, grabbed us both together the last time I was there and said that since both of us are single, we should get together- I think we both competed for shades of red.  Problem is, English is my first language, and Spanish is hers.  She knows and speaks much more English than I know Spanish, so communication isn't necessarily an issue, but I was wondering if anyone could relate and provide perspective.  

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I once had someone say " hey you are both single, you should date"

Needless to say,  she wasn't into it

So I'm not asking for advice on whether or not she's into me.  I know that she is.  Also, having dated someone I worked with, who was a person that I supervised, I'm extremely careful in determining that before I would make a move.  I'm asking for advice on the language part before that's gets any more serious.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So I'm not asking for advice on whether or not she's into me.  I know that she is.  Also, having dated someone I worked with, who was a person that I supervised, I'm extremely careful in determining that before I would make a move.  I'm asking for advice on the language part before that's gets any more serious.  

Yeah my comment really wasn't related to your question.  

I can't help you on the language issue but if you can communicate ok I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem.  How close do you work with her?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Anyone experienced in a relationship where two people don't have the same primary language?  Ever since the original lockdown ended, I've been between locations for my boss helping out, and at one of them, there is a woman I've gotten along very well and there is a mutual attraction between us.  Her cousin, who I worked with for years, grabbed us both together the last time I was there and said that since both of us are single, we should get together- I think we both competed for shades of red.  Problem is, English is my first language, and Spanish is hers.  She knows and speaks much more English than I know Spanish, so communication isn't necessarily an issue, but I was wondering if anyone could relate and provide perspective.  

I spent the last half of my twenties in and out of relationships with a series of first generation Asian girls.

And my brother's girlfriend of four years is German.

Only issues it ever caused for me were issues that would have been there regardless of whether we both spoke primarily English (talking to their family, etc.).  Of course, I don't know how fluent this girl you're talking about is, so that might be different.  All the girls I dates were definitely fluent, and I speak almost no Chinese/Japanese/Indonesian.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yeah my comment really wasn't related to your question.  

I can't help you on the language issue but if you can communicate ok I wouldn't think it'd be much of a problem.  How close do you work with her?

Not very, she's at the job site that I visit the least, but there is quite a degree of separation between us.  If things become serious, it definitely involves disclosing to my boss. 

On 2/18/2021 at 8:55 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

If you have any communication issues language wise, just try and put it through a google translator to see if that helps. Outside of that, I got nothing. Plus, she might think it's cute to see you fumbling with your app.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:29 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Not very, she's at the job site that I visit the least, but there is quite a degree of separation between us.  If things become serious, it definitely involves disclosing to my boss. 

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do and what does she do? 

Also, is there going to be a travel issue there at all?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:55 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

She knows and speaks much more English than I know Spanish, so communication isn't necessarily an issue, but I was wondering if anyone could relate and provide perspective.  

Prepare for hilariousness.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 10:53 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Also, I dated a girl who was from Belarus in college. When I met her parents and her grandparents, if they were ever speaking in Russian/Belarussian, she translated for me. That was pretty cool.

Its getting real tough to meet anyone right now. Dating apps worked for a while, but the last couple of years they haven't, not sure why as i never changed the pics. I delete & reinstall them periodically but its always a waste.

There aren't a lot of single girls in my social circle and with the pandemic we've obviously stopped bigger hangouts so haven't met any friends of friends. Haven't been to bars weddings or events in about a year.

I did have a couple of girls i liked from work but we've been doing remote work for a while, i come to the office once or twice a week and our schedules are all staggered so i've seen certain people maybe 7-8 times in the last year. Its hard to keep relationships that way. Also its not the best idea either....

I'm considering speed dating in the spring/summer, but i'm not sure how that'll work

Maybe its the pandemic exacerbating things, but it just feels like i've been stuck in a rut for a little while and i'm not sure how to get out of it. 

16 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Its getting real tough to meet anyone right now. Dating apps worked for a while, but the last couple of years they haven't, not sure why as i never changed the pics. I delete & reinstall them periodically but its always a waste.

There aren't a lot of single girls in my social circle and with the pandemic we've obviously stopped bigger hangouts so haven't met any friends of friends. Haven't been to bars weddings or events in about a year.

I did have a couple of girls i liked from work but we've been doing remote work for a while, i come to the office once or twice a week and our schedules are all staggered so i've seen certain people maybe 7-8 times in the last year. Its hard to keep relationships that way. Also its not the best idea either....

I'm considering speed dating in the spring/summer, but i'm not sure how that'll work

Maybe its the pandemic exacerbating things, but it just feels like i've been stuck in a rut for a little while and i'm not sure how to get out of it. 

DATING apps are a waste of time.  It only benefit's women especially if you arent a good picture taker.  I joined eharmony for 6 months last year and got exactly 1 message the whole 6 months.  At first I thought it was my profile and pictures, granted Im not the best at taking pics but its definitely more to it.  Thats why its best to met them in person.  Thats why when this pandemic is over I plan on going to social gatherings/meetups where singles will be at.  

Edited by Texansfan713
  • Like 1