What does everyone do for a living?

BayRaider

14 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I'm probably going to do that for a while in 2020 (Japan).

My sister and her husband did that gig for about 5 years.
They worked with middle managers in Tokyo and Kobe helping them to learn English colloquial terms so they could handle business meetings in the US.
Paid really well and they had a blast doing it.

I went to visit them one time and was unfamiliar with their customs, so I showed up to their place of business dressed casual. The only people who show up dressed casual are the CEO's... so everybody was bowing low to me the whole day because they thought I was some Big Cheese.
Instead, I was just another dumbass American. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

My sister and her husband did that gig for about 5 years.
They worked with middle managers in Tokyo and Kobe helping them to learn English colloquial terms so they could handle business meetings in the US.
Paid really well and they had a blast doing it.

I went to visit them one time and was unfamiliar with their customs, so I showed up to their place of business dressed casual. The only people who show up dressed casual are the CEO's... so everybody was bowing low to me the whole day because they thought I was some Big Cheese.
Instead, I was just another dumbass American. 

Interesting

I'd be going to a big chain school for a low salary. They provide the 1-yr work visa and they subsidize and provide the housing. I'd only pay $500/month for it.

I make way more money as a civil engineer, so I can't really keep up the ESL gig for too long without setting myself back financially. I studied Japanese for a few years in school and self-study, so I'd just like to live there for 1-2 years and take a break from engineering. I got a few Japanese friends in Japan, as well. 

26 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Interesting

I'd be going to a big chain school for a low salary.

You might be able to secure some free-lance work to supplement your salary.
There's always a need in the business world for higher- end ESL, might be worth checking it out

The only Japanese I learned was: Biiru o Nihon Onegaishimasu   :D

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

You might be able to secure some free-lance work to supplement your salary.
There's always a need in the business world for higher- end ESL, might be worth checking it out

The only Japanese I learned was: Biiru o Nihon Onegaishimasu   :D

"2 bottles of beers, please." ビールを二本お願いします。

2 glasses would be nihai. They have a weird counting system.

Yes, I could probably do side tutoring for $20/hr.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is this a list of the most boring jobs in the world? My god software programmers and finance?? I’d die of boredom. RN is where it’s at. Never a dull moment. 

Being a functional alcoholic and sociopath for a living may be taxing on the liver but I assure you it is not boring 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Is this a list of the most boring jobs in the world? My god software programmers and finance?? I’d die of boredom. RN is where it’s at. Never a dull moment. 

We have one at my job that goes number 2 and doesn't wash his hands. It's very hard not to punch him in the face.