What does everyone do for a living?

BayRaider

13 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

Interesting

I'd be going to a big chain school for a low salary. They provide the 1-yr work visa and they subsidize and provide the housing. I'd only pay $500/month for it.

I make way more money as a civil engineer, so I can't really keep up the ESL gig for too long without setting myself back financially. I studied Japanese for a few years in school and self-study, so I'd just like to live there for 1-2 years and take a break from engineering. I got a few Japanese friends in Japan, as well. 

It is possible that you could secure a 5-year visa.

There is an option of 1,3,5 year visa, but ultimately that decision is down to immigration.

My coworker has a 5-year visa, but contracts are extended annually by the company.

There are some low-paid jobs and some higher paying ones. Don't sell yourself short. 

If you are planning to be here only a year or two then look at working conditions.  It is not always best to accept company accommodation because you have ittle say over where it may be. You may have a limited choice and there are a lot of foreigner friendly realtors.

Also, if you decide for whatever reason to change jobs, then you could also lose your apartment.

Dont jump at the first offer.

6 hours ago, Tokyo Ram said:

It is possible that you could secure a 5-year visa.

There is an option of 1,3,5 year visa, but ultimately that decision is down to immigration.

My coworker has a 5-year visa, but contracts are extended annually by the company.

There are some low-paid jobs and some higher paying ones. Don't sell yourself short. 

If you are planning to be here only a year or two then look at working conditions.  It is not always best to accept company accommodation because you have ittle say over where it may be. You may have a limited choice and there are a lot of foreigner friendly realtors.

Also, if you decide for whatever reason to change jobs, then you could also lose your apartment.

Dont jump at the first offer.

Thanks for the knowledgeable response

Most advertisements I see for the English teaching jobs require you to already reside in Japan. It seems like the large chain eikaiwas offer the visas. I'd take the best offer that could put me Tokyo, at least for the first year. It'd also be fun to teach at a public school.

I wouldn't go longer than 2 years. The longer I'm away from engineering, the more I set myself back financially. 

Edited by freak_of_nature

On 12/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, MonserinNC said:

2nd grade English teacher in Austin now....literally less than 6 months ago though I was a comedian in Chicago just working like 15 hours a week at an afterschool program...Moved out here with a girlfriend and have to get my comedy rep up in the southwest to make a living.

Awesome.  I know several teachers in the Austin area.  I lived out there for a bit.  Great city.  Hope you're enjoying your job.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 11:59 AM, Dome said:

I love driving (choose to commute an hour when there’s tons of butcher shops around where I could work) and will very likely be a commercial driver at some point in my life. I’ve considered it a few times. My friend had a gig where he’d fly all over the country to pick up someone’s vehicle and drive it to them.

Usually RVs and big rigs when people were moving and didn’t want to come back for it themselves.

You should check out the show on Netflix called Outback Truckers. One of the episodes is about a guy who sold his butcher shop and used the money to start up a new business as a mobile butcher. Converted a trailer into his butcher shop and travels to remote towns in Australia that don’t have access to butcher shops. 

Nice thing about trucking as a career is the opportunities are endless. I could live anywhere I want and find work. Even the things you never think about at some point are on a truck. When I was getting my CDL I would have never thought I’d be hauling flowers for a living. Heck you can even land a job hauling equipment to games for professional and college sports teams. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Neumatic said:

You should check out the show on Netflix called Outback Truckers. One of the episodes is about a guy who sold his butcher shop and used the money to start up a new business as a mobile butcher. Converted a trailer into his butcher shop and travels to remote towns in Australia that don’t have access to butcher shops. 

Nice thing about trucking as a career is the opportunities are endless. I could live anywhere I want and find work. Even the things you never think about at some point are on a truck. When I was getting my CDL I would have never thought I’d be hauling flowers for a living. Heck you can even land a job hauling equipment to games for professional and college sports teams. 

I’ve thought about doing that, but as a mobile wild game processor. Drive up in the woods and meet people out there, they’d have it quartered and I would turn those into portion sized “retail” cuts.

You could charge and arm and a leg. There’s a market for it, i get asked all the time at work if I would do that for people, I just don’t have the place to do it right now.

it’s just a big scary first step to do something like that and it’s super seasonal, I’d have to purchase a 4x4 truck or van, I’m not pulling a trailer up in the woods lol 

I’ll check that out for sure thanks for the suggestion 

Edited by Dome

Account Coordinator/Redemption Clerk 

i work at an Manheim Auto Auction in Milwaukee Wisconsin, realistically it is in Caledonia WI which isn’t even in Milwaukee County but is a real quick drive from our International Airport and an hour from the Illinois border. Manheim is part of the Cox Automotive arm of Cox Enterprises. 

As an Account Coordinator I track cars to make sure they reach certain recon destinations within our lot quickly and smart repairs are made to improve the wholesale value of the car. Yes wholesale, because our auction isn’t open to the public. This is dealers selling cars to other dealers and lease companies and other financial institutions selling cars to dealers to sell on their lots. 

Speaking of financial institutions, this is where the Redemption Clerk part of my job comes in. What is a redemption? It’s a process where a person is redeeming their vehicle post repossession. Yes, I get to sign paperwork with people whose cars were repossessed and have reached a satisfactory agreement with their lender to allow them to get their vehicle back.

Some of our clients don’t have contracts with any auctions in Illinois so I not only get their repos from all throughout WI but also Illinois and in some cases people from other states. Because of confidentiality agreements I can’t go into specifics on some cases but I can say that I had to do paperwork for a person whom I graduated High School with. They didn’t recognize me. And I also did paperwork for a person who had such a recognizable name that I had to ask if they were in anyway related to the infamous person. They were.