The Gnat

• 2 weeks later...

Packers:

CB

Edge Rusher

RT

OG

WR

In that order, hopefully they are smart enough to avoid reaching for a need though.  If guys like Denzel Ward/Fitzpatrick are gone but Derwin James or Vita Vea fall to them, take them and fill your needs in the later rounds somehow.

ghw9piy78pmfzhquwxdnuxzoh.gif

Miami Dolphins post-FA needs:

1A) LB - the only notable LBs currently on the roster are Kiko Alonso and sophomore Raekwon McMillan, a 2nd round pick in 2017 who tore his ACL in the preseason.

1B) TE - I think this might be the shallowest TE room in the NFL, with the three guys they have under roster playing less than 1,000 combined snaps in their careers. 

big gap

S - TJ McDonald had a forgettable 8 games in 2017, and stud Reshad Jones is 30. While Jones is a roster lock until 2020, for 2019 and beyond at least one safety spot could be upgraded.

CB - Miami has a quartet of CBs on their rookie deals who have seen signficant playtime, all of whom have flashed to various degrees but none of whom have put it together consistently to this point (still time). Bobby McCain is in the last year of his rookie deal, Tony Lippett is coming back from a ruptured Achilles, so there is plenty reason to add talent here.

DT - Philips and Godcheaux are a good pairing, but how well will either perform without Suh drawing all the double teams? There's plenty to still learn, and Philips will be a FA in 2019.

QB - Miami absolutely needs to draft a QB to groom behind Tannehill. The time for relying on washed-up vets is past.

later rounds, depth needed but immediate starters are set

DE - Wake, Quinn, Hayes, Harris makes for a crowded DE room, but there's no guarantee three of those names are still playing football in 2018.

OL - Miami's starters are essentially set at every spot for 2018, but there is uncertainty in 2019 and beyond for C, LG, RT at least.

RB - a developmental back is needed behind Drake and Gore.

Edited by cddolphin

• 3 months later...

Eagles:

DE - We could always use more pass rushers. I don't think we'll be able to afford Brandon Graham, and Chris Long is probably done after this season. We can cut Michael Bennett ($7 Million) with no cap penalty. Odds are, we're going to be looking to take one early, At least 2 of those 3 are likely gone after this season. 

S - Malcolm Jenkins isn't getting any younger, and Rodney McLeod has been very meh. There's a common train of thought that we'll move 2nd year CB Rasul Douglas to FS either this season or next where his skillset can more flourish.

RB - I don't think we resign Ajayi. If you've ever watched the guy run, you'll see his knees bow with every step, I don't foresee us committing to him long term because he's just an ACL tear waiting to happen. Darren Sproles is back for one last hurrah, but he's also gone after this season. We'll have Clement for one more season after this before he's look to get a new deal.

DT - Haloti Ngata isn't coming back after this next season, and who knows how Tim Jernigan's injury will effect him moving forward. 

OL - Strange coming from one of the best OL's in all of football. I believe in Vaitai, I really do but lets say we want some sort of plan B there if Vaitai doesn't work out. We also have Jason Kelce who's not young, but should have a few more years left. We could also use some solid depth infusion on the inside.

Positions that are absolutely NOT needs.

QB
TE
CB
LB

• Like 1

For 2019...

1. DE/DT
- Lawrence is likely going to command a huge contract next off-season and I'm just not sure the team will re-sign him with a deal for Dak looming as well as Zeke. Crawford's slimmed down for a move to DE but he's likely gone after this season as well. Even if Randy has turned the corner, we still don't know what we have in Charlton or the rest of the young guys at the position. DT is likely going to be a need unless someone emerges as Irving just can't seem to get his life straight, and I don't see the team giving him another chance after this year. 

2. S
- Xavier Woods looks poised for a big year, but Jeff Heath is above average at best. We could do with a dynamic playmaker back there. 

3. TE
Again, unless someone emerges this year, losing a future HOFer at the position kinda hurts and leaves you wanting more.

4. WR
I don't see Cole Beasley sticking around after this season, so even if Gallup and some of the younger guys prove their worth I could see us looking to add somebody here.

11 hours ago, D82 said:

For 2019...

1. DE/DT
- Lawrence is likely going to command a huge contract next off-season and I'm just not sure the team will re-sign him with a deal for Dak looming as well as Zeke. Crawford's slimmed down for a move to DE but he's likely gone after this season as well. Even if Randy has turned the corner, we still don't know what we have in Charlton or the rest of the young guys at the position. DT is likely going to be a need unless someone emerges as Irving just can't seem to get his life straight, and I don't see the team giving him another chance after this year. 

2. S
- Xavier Woods looks poised for a big year, but Jeff Heath is above average at best. We could do with a dynamic playmaker back there. 

3. TE
Again, unless someone emerges this year, losing a future HOFer at the position kinda hurts and leaves you wanting more.

4. WR
I don't see Cole Beasley sticking around after this season, so even if Gallup and some of the younger guys prove their worth I could see us looking to add somebody here.

Move this around as the year goes along. :P

Colts 

3T/1T - We’ll have to see how things go this season but as of now the only IDL under contract next year are (3Ts Denico Autry, Tyquan Lewis and Hassan Ridgeway, and 1T Grover Stewart). Stewarts growth and Ridgeway’s ability to make the final 53 could go a long way in determining how much depth we need. 

LB - there is Darius Leonard, Anthony Walker and nothing. And Walker is already nursing a groin injury two weeks before the first preseason game. Skai Moore a UDFA is filling in for him 

WR - By the end of this season I think Deon Cain can overtake both Ryan Grant and Chester Rogers for the starting spot opposite TY Hilton. Grant and Rogers will both hit free agency and that would only leave 5th Rder  Reese Fountain and behind those 2. 

CB - This could actually be no. 1 by the end of the season depending on how good or bad Quincy Wilson/Kenny Moore/Pierre Desir/Nate Hairston are. 

EDGE - I know I should feel like Tarell Basham and Kemoko Tuiray  should get a chance to prove themselves but Chris Ballard has talked about competition is important. John Simon is in the last year of his deal. Chris McCain is on a 1 year deal (if he makes the team) and Jabaal Sheard has only one more year on his deal. You can never have enough pass rush. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we double up and one of more of these positions. That was certainly the theme of the 2018 draft. As well as building from the inside out.

jags: 

1) DT(with dareus potentially being cut and abry proving to be a bust as a starter and anoku being a weekly scratch after the acquistion of dareus). Jackson and Campbell are both potential cap cuts as well and bryan is likely replacing 1 of the 2 but that still leaves us needing 1 replacement. 

2) DE(fowler is a FA, and we dont have much true edge rushers on the roster outside of him and Nagkoue tho we do seem to have a few intriguing options with 2nd Year UDFA Carrol Phillips(was considered draftable), Hunter Dimick, and UDFA rookie Darius Jackson. 

3) OL(we have a few decisions being made soon involving our RT(hes set to be making 6 million but we did draft his replacement), RG(set to be FA), Last years swing tackle, last years top C/G backup.

4) RB(outside of Fournette theres none under contract). 

5) QB(maybe kessler suprises and looks like a good game manager and while kessler has looked good in TC he looked awful in OTAs and Lee is a TURD.  a worth while project or a snag of a Bortles replacement could be on the books as bortles would be a potential cut sooner then later. 

Dolphins

1a) DT. Phillips will be a FA. We have 3 playable guys now, but they might be JAGs. An impact DT would be huge.

1b) DE. Harris is more of a pass rusher, Branch is almost a JAG, and Wake is old. A nice base 4-3 DE opposite Quinn (who could slide in on passing downs) would be nice.

3) LB. We need to see what we have first

4) OL. Maybe RT if James is not resigned. 

• 2 weeks later...

My take on Dallas' 2019 needs:

1. WR- I mean... yeah. Not great talent here. Hurns and T-Will could both be cap casualties next offseason, while Beasley and Austin are UFAs, so there's lots of moving parts and a definite need for a draft pick to compete with Gallup and Cedrick Wilson. My only caveat is that I'm not sure that pick will be a first rounder, since this is a position where they need to keep their costs down as the OL and DL and QB become more expensive.

1a. TE- Interchangeable with WR, but I tend to doubt that there's a TE prospect that would tickle their fancy enough to take early. They've been burned so many times trying to do so. But as of now it would be shocking if one of these positions weren't addressed in the first two rounds.

3. DT- They really don't have much besides Collins, who keeps breaking his foot, and Irving, who keeps breaking his brain. Both are coming up on FA soon-ish. If Irving can get his **** together, though, then we could have him and Collins for '19 (they can RFA-tag Irving again since he's a camp no-show so far).

4. CB- Right now, very well off with Chido, Byron, Lewis, and Brown. But two of those guys will be entering contract years, and I think the trade off of paying some of our other young stars will be to let them walk. I would not be least bit surprised if this ended up being our first round pick.

5. OT- Cam Fleming will be a UFA, La'el Collins will be entering his contract year. Again, there have to be trade offs on who to re-sign when you've drafted as well as Dallas has.

6. S- I do believe we're getting Earl Thomas at some point, which would solidify this spot and then some. Heath, Woods, and Frazier as your 2nd-4th safeties is legit. If not, then this is tied with DT.

Early needs for the Packers.  Going to break down by position.

QB - Aaron Rodgers is still under contract for another year right now, but should get a new extension before the start of the regular season that locks him up for the next 4-5 years minimum.  Brett Hundley is a FA at the end of the year, and it's highly unlikely that he's retained.  They acquired DeShone Kizer in an offseason trade with the Browns, and the Packers like him as a developmental QB behind Rodgers.  Add on he's relatively cheap for the next two seasons, so he's not going to walk anytime soon.

RB - The Packers like their duo of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams, so how they perform this season will go a LONG way into what the Packers are investing in this position next year.  Ty Montgomery is a FA at the end of the year, so you'd anticipate them investing a mid-round pick into the position potentially.

WR - The Packers re-signed Davante Adams to a long-term deal, but Randall Cobb is a FA at the end of the year and isn't likely to be re-signed.  Geronimo Allison probably isn't anything more than a place holder at this point.  The Packers invested 3 picks into this position with J'Mon Moore (4th), Marquez Valdes-Scantling (5th), and Equaniemous St. Brown (6th) last year, and all have a very strong chance of making the roster this year.  The development of those three will go a long way into determining whether or not the Packers invest highly into the position.

TE - The Packers signed Jimmy Graham to a big 3 year deal and they signed Marcedes Lewis to a 1 year deal, but they figure to be in the market for a future TE after Jimmy Graham.  They're probably looking more at developmental types than someone they'd have to invest a high pick into.

OT - Given Bryan Bulaga's health concerns, upcoming cap hits, and the general lack of depth at the position it seems likely that the Packers look to solidify this position.

IOL - The Packers have Lane Taylor (LG) and Corey Linsley (C) locked up long-term, but their RG position seems to be a bit more of a question.  Justin McCray is currently slotted to be their starting RG, and given the uncertainty surrounding Cole Madison they could look to develop someone as insurance.  The Packers have never invested more than a 4th round pick into an IOL, so don't expect much in terms of investment.

DL - Kenny Clark and Mike Daniels are locked up for the foreseeable future, and Montravius Adams' emergence this year could help make up if Muhammad Wilkerson walks as a FA.  I'd anticipate them looking to add more depth at this position, but I don't see them investing anything heavy in this position.

OLB - Clay Matthews is a FA at the end of the year, and it's still uncertain whether or not he'll return.  Beyond Matthews, Nick Perry is our best pass rusher but his injury history scares just about everyone.  Reggie Gilbert has played well this preseason, but he's probably nothing more than a rotational pass rusher.  They're almost certainly going to invest in this position early and often, and I wouldn't be surprised if they multiple picks into this position much like they did with the RB position in 2017 and the WR position in 2018.

ILB - Blake Martinez is entrenched as one starting LBer, and Oren Burks has played well in a bigger role, but the development of Burks will determine how much of a priority this position is.  Beyond those two, the Packers really lack depth at this position so they could invest a high pick.  During TT's tenure, they never really prioritized this position and if that carries over with Gute we're probably talking about a mid-round pick at most.

CB - Given that they just invested their first two picks this year with Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson as well as a second round pick in 2017 with Kevin King, I'm not sure the Packers are going to invest a high pick into this position again this year.  They'll need to develop someone to replace Tramon Williams, and have insurance in case their picks don't pan out.

S - HHCD is a FA at the end of the year, and there is a lot of promise around Kentrell Brice.  But they lack any real depth behind those two, and Josh Jones' play has been inconsistent at best.  Depending on what happens with HHCD, this could be a huge priority for the Packers.

Im bored.  Early 2019 Houston Texans needs

CB-  Jonathan Joseph is 34 and should not be a starter anymore. Texans signed Colvin but he isnt a number 1 nor should play outside.  Kevin Johnson is injury prone and Kareem Jackson moved to safety.  

RB- Lamar Miller has 1 year left after this year and D'Onta Foreman is coming back from a major injury so he might not be 100 percent.

OT- Depending on what happens with Julie'n Davenport and Seantrel Henderson this season, a tackle is a must.

DE- Depends on JJ Watt this season and even then DE is a need for the Texans

• 1 month later...

No Seahawk stuff so ….

1. Defensive Tackle

Seattle wasn't really able to replace Bennett and Richardson. After years of being a top run defense, its been their achilleas heel thus far. Jarren Reed is a legit DT, but he needs some help. Stephens really isn't doing the job. Naz Jones and Poona Ford are more rotational players. Could use both a LOS controller or Interior rushers. So think 2 picks here

2. Defensive End [Strong Side]

Frank F'n Clark is a boss. But he needs some help [and FA soon]. Rasheem Green and Dion Jordan have been hurt all year. Quinton Jefferson, Brandon Jackson are just JAGs. 7th round pick Jacob Martin has made some plays thus far, but Seattle could really use another guy that can hold that edge, and push the pocket. 

3. Wide Receiver

Tyler Lockett has been living up to that extension. David Moore has been a playmaker [nice 7th round pick!] and Doug looks to be healthy. But Russell is about to be a 30 million dollar man. Jarron Brown is mostly a ST player now. And Brandon Marshall cant catch a cold. Getting another weapon for Russell would be great.

4. Tight End

Will Dissly is a monster. But torn up his knee. Nick Vannett has been a pretty big disappointment and Ed Dickson has been a ghost. Last week [week 6] Seattle played in London with two practice squad guys and a tackle at TE. With their new philosophy on offense, they will be looking for a block first tight end with good athleticism. 

Others:

KJ Wright Replacement : Mingo has been playing great, and Seattle only uses 2 LBs anyway. Not a huge need, but it would be nice to add another playmaker.

Another Guard : Sweezy and Fluker have been killing it thus far. But both are FA. Ethan Pocic is waiting in the wings, but an another insurance piece would be nice.

Another Tackle : Duane Brown and Ifedi have been playing really well as of late. Jamarco Jones got hurt in training camp, and George Fant is more of an extra lineman type. If Ifedi or Brown flame out in the 2nd half this could be bumped up.

Some notes for non-Seahawk fans.

So as of week 7, Seattles offensive line has actually been one of the best [Since week 3]. Now who knows if this trend will continue, but as of NOW there is no need at offensive line. If they regress or someone bottoms out, move up the need. Seattle has about 7 guys they are comfortable starting, with Jamarco Jones waiting in the wing [injury]. 

As of week 7 Seattles pass defense is ranked 3rd overall. [Legion of Boom demise greatly exaggerated] Again, not entirely sure if this trend continues but Seattles top 5 guys [Griffin, McDougald, Thompson, Flowers and Coleman] are all under contract moving forward. Barring a major injury or massive flame out, there is no need in the secondary currently.