How are those rookies doing?

Chiefer

1st Round - LB Devin Bush  -   Up and down.    Can be a great playmaker and has great sideline to sideline ability, but he has alot of holes in his game.    Instincts often leave alot to be desired.   Takes poor angles and his tackling is atrocious at times.    Im optimistic, but not overly excited.      HOWEVER, Ryan Shazier struggled in similar ways early in his career.

2nd Round - WR  Dionte Johnson -  Again, up and down.   Just came off his best game of the season.     He is honestly very reminiscent of Antonio Brown.   Not saying he will ever come close to AB's level of dominance, but if he cleans things up, he could definitely be a number 1 WR in the league.

3rd Round - CB Justin Layne  -  Has hardly seen the field.     Didnt look good in preseason.   

4th Round - RB Benny Snell -  Fine for a 4th round pick.  Pure north/south runner.   No real wiggle or vision, but runs hard.

5th Round -  TE Zach Gentry -    Meh.

6th round - :LB Sutton Smith  -   Everyone hated this pick, and for good reason.

6th round - DE Isiah Buggs  -    Has potential, but probably just a typical late round DE.

6th round -  LB Ulysees Gilbert -   Backup talent at best.

7th Round - OT Derwin Grey -  No clue....but chances are he is off team next year.

Undrafted Devlin "Duck"  Hodges  -     I was impressed with him in preseason and he has been solid as a game manager.     Doubt he will ever be more than a Charlie Batch-esque backup, but for a UDFA, Ill definitely take that.   At least he can move in the pocket and will occasionally throw to WRs...unlike Rudolph.

Undrafted -  Tuzar Skipper  -   Too soon to say, and probably nothing, but looked really good in the preseason.   

35 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

1st Round - LB Devin Bush  -   Up and down.    Can be a great playmaker and has great sideline to sideline ability, but he has alot of holes in his game.    Instincts often leave alot to be desired.   Takes poor angles and his tackling is atrocious at times.    Im optimistic, but not overly excited.      HOWEVER, Ryan Shazier struggled in similar ways early in his career.

See, I think David Long is similar (I remember when he was drafted he was called a poor man's Devin Bush) at this point in his career, just with less upside.  Lots of mistakes because he's an undersized linebacker that relied on his speed to make plays in college and hasn't adjusted all the way technically in the pros.  Huge amount of progress for Long from the preseason to now, so I guess it just takes them some time.

Just an undersized speed linebacker thing.  Keep that optimism up bruh.

• Like 1

1. Nick Bosa - I shouldn't really have to say anything here. I think the media has shoved enough of Bosa down our throats. We know he's good. 

2. Deebo Samuel - It looks like the 49ers finally got a wide receiver selection right. He can be a little rough with the drops, but he looks like he's going to be very good. I don't know if he's got #1 upside just because I haven't seen him stretch the field consistently (and he may not have the hands to become a Michael Thomas type clone underneath), but he's really, really good. Particularly with the ball in his hands. 

3. Jalen Hurd - got hurt in the preseason and missed the season. Unfortunate. 

4. Mitch Wishnowsky - a 4th on a punter is steep. Won't deny that. But he's been a solid punter. He's very good at typically mitigating return yardage, but he's middle of the pack in a lot of stuff. If he's going to be a competent punter for a decade, I really don't mind the selection. 

5. Dre Greenlaw - He's done a serviceable job in the absence of Kwon Alexander. He had a really nice interception of Russell Wilson in overtime of the Seahawks game. Can be over aggressive, and bite on fakes, but he seems like at the very least he would be a very competent back up linebacker. Need to see more before I can really say whether he'd be a starting linebacker in the league. 

6. Justin Skule - pretty underwhelming. I didn't think he shoudl have made the team out of camp, but injuries forced our hand there. He wasn't a complete disaster while he started for us, but he definitely wasn't good. When he gets beat, it's really, really bad. He's got 6 penalties and all of them are for blocking (5 holding calls and an illegal block), which is excessive. He ended up getting pulled in the Green Bay game for Daniel Brunskill and the offense was much better for it. He's clearly the inferior option between he and Brunskill, a former UDFA we poached from the AAF. I would be moderately surprised if he made the roster next year. He clearly wasn't ready this year. 

• Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson 4th overall - Low risk, low ceiling type safe pick.  Has had moments of flashing, but all in all rather disappointing.  I think given time in the system and development, there could be some success.  Early though, not that impressive.  Think AT BEST Carlos Dunlap.
  • Josh Jacobs RB Alabama 24th overall - 1a of a 1a/1b best pick.  Josh has shown the ability to be a top 5 RB in this league already.  Came in with low miles due to his lack of PT and carries in college, which only bodes well for us.  Cannot say enough about him thus far.  Played from week 7-12 with a broken shoulder before missing a week.  
  • Jonathan Abram S Miss St. 27th overall - At the moment we drafted him, I was a little upset.  I didn't care for his scouting reports, and still I am unsure if he can cover.  I know now that he can absolutely strike fear in the heart of any WR coming his way.  Small sample size due to injury, but the first half of the Bronco game week one showed me something I liked.  
  • Trayvon Mullen CB Clemson 40th overall - Loved this pick.  Mullen is now the starter on a rookie deal.  We traded Conley putting him at CB1.  He has shown the ability to cover, and be willing to come up and make the tackle.  At CB that is a rare anymore.  I think he is a high ceiling player... borderline star when he develops.  Excellent value thus far.  
  • Maxx Crosby DE E. Michigan 106th overall - Seemed like a meh pick at the time.  Broke his hand in the pre-season, and never missed a beat.  Since then, he has been an absolute monster.  Currently sitting at 7.5 sacks.  More productive than his counterpart drafted at 4.  Maxx reminds a lot of us of a young Jared Allen.  Barely scratching the surface.  1b of 1a/1b best pick.
  • Isaiah Johnson CB Houston 129th overall - Broke facial bones early on.  Has just recently in the last few weeks made a return.  Thus far, not much to be excited about.  Meh pick.  Has one assisted tackle to date.  
  • Foster Moreau TE LSU 137th overall - Foster was another pick I thought would be and after thought at first glance.  Early on, he was somewhat invisible.  Colts game came and he gave us a little production from then has become a fan favorite and is the second best TE on the team.  Waller is going to be hard to outshine.  but Foster will demand attention going forward.  Mayock nailed this pick.  
  • Hunter Renfrow WR Clemson 149th overall - 3rd and Renfrow is a thing.  Its been mentioned time and time again in our forum.  Carr loves him as a target.  He has that knack of getting open and slipping a tackle and making a play.  Leads the league in effort type player.  Won't ever be a number one.  He will always have a spot on any team, hopefully ours.  Raider fan favorite again.  OH!  He broke his ribs and punctured a lung in the Jets game.  Continued to play.  
  • Quinton Bell DE Prarie View A&M 230th overall - Converted WR to DE.  Never really shined in any situation.  Currently a OLB for the TB Buccaneers.  

jeffrey simmons: getting any contribution at all out of him this year was unexpected. the fact that he’s been genuinely good from the get-go is even more unexpected. and he’s playing at a pretty impressive level while clearly not having all his burst back either. he’s ridiculously strong and talented and with a full offseason and recovery he has the potential to start truly dominating next year. very excited for him.

aj brown: the standards are admittedly very, very low- this franchise is utterly snakebitten at the receiver position- but aj brown looks like he’s going to change that. i genuinely don’t remember the last time the titans had an explosive playmaker of his caliber at WR. good hands, an absolute beast after the catch, and impressive game speed. he looks like a #1 receiver.

nate davis: was injured for the first several games and then thrust immediately into a starting role as a raw rookie. predictably, things did not go well at all early on. he’s still working out the kinks, but he’s definitely been improving as of late and looking like he could be a viable starting option moving forward.

amani hooker: has been contributing in the secondary from the start of the season, kind of a surprise. he’s been a fixture in our 3-safety looks alongside byard and vaccaro and sometimes plays nickel as well. he hasn’t really stood out, but he also hasn’t been picked on, which is a compliment for a rookie DB. overall a solid contributor in the secondary.

d’andre walker: injured early on and out for the season. 

david long: has been very good on special teams and made some impact plays when he’s gotten on the field on defense. he plays at a million miles an hour and still obviously needs to work on his instincts and angles, but for a 6th round pick he looks good. titans fans should feel comfortable about woodyard aging with long waiting in the wings.

every draft pick but one is making positive contributions and the top two look like they could develop into stars. it’s very early so we’ll see how things go, but this is looking like it could be jon robinson’s best draft class.

• Like 1

Mecole Hardman is legit Reid needs to give him more offense snaps. Once he gets the ball the other team can’t catch him.

Juan Thornhill is also legit. Getting better everyday, really prevents a lot of big plays as the deep Free Safety. He and HB are one of the best Safety Duos in the league

Khalen Saunders is okay. Rookie DL take some time and it’s compounded by him coming from a small school. Does a good job of clogging things up in the run game.

rashad Fenton Was playing really well as a Nickel corner than hurt his hamstring. Chiefs fans disliked the pick but he’s acquitted himself well

Darwin Thompson looks too small,and not a number one option. Solid play here and there, the OL is bad though

Nick Allegreti hasn’t played

On 12/12/2019 at 4:40 AM, Yin-Yang said:

Yeah, Tennessee has a habit of grabbing players in the 2nd round that I like.

2018: Pats draft Sony Michel at the end of the first, Nick Chubb goes a few picks later in the second. 

2019: Pats draft N’Keal Harry at the end of the first, AJ Brown goes a half a round later in the second. 

Facepalm.

Harry has been injured and a bit underused by McDaniels.  The Pats fanbase think he has lots of potential though before he is ruled a bust.  

Obviously he hasn't had the season AJ Brown has had though 

1 hour ago, Dan_Bali said:

Harry has been injured and a bit underused by McDaniels.  The Pats fanbase think he has lots of potential though before he is ruled a bust.  

Obviously he hasn't had the season AJ Brown has had though 

We could have drafted both - coming away with one receiver in a deep draft was a terrible idea

On 12/12/2019 at 8:39 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

2nd Round - WR  Dionte Johnson -  Again, up and down.   Just came off his best game of the season.     He is honestly very reminiscent of Antonio Brown.   Not saying he will ever come close to AB's level of dominance, but if he cleans things up, he could definitely be a number 1 WR in the league.

Antonio Brown was my pre-draft comp for him. He was probably my favorite player in the draft this past year.

• Like 2