What made Trubisky stand out in the draft compared to Mahomes and Watson?

Elky

2 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Those comments. 

"The author of this profile says Deshaun's frame is too slender, while he is the same height and weighs ONE pound less than Trubisky, who they say has a solid NFL build. What the heck?"

To be fair, not everyone carries weight the same. Romo and Dak are literally the same size, but Dak is much thicker.

As for OP, maybe the Bears just really suck at judging QBs for like... the last 50 years.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I'm seeing a lot of mentions on Trubisky's accuracy. I guess that didn't translate from college to pro.

It's insane to me because I didn't even think that he was that accurate as an actual passer. I wrote this big long post in the 49er draft forum on the old board about it. Never bought into the idea that he was accurate and I was confused how other people constantly brought it up as a selling point for him. I thought it was box score scouting his completion percentage tbh. When I was actually watching him though, I saw a lot of artificially inflated completion percentage throws. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

It's insane to me because I didn't even think that he was that accurate as an actual passer. I wrote this big long post in the 49er draft forum on the old board about it. Never bought into the idea that he was accurate and I was confused how other people constantly brought it up as a selling point for him. I thought it was box score scouting his completion percentage tbh. When I was actually watching him though, I saw a lot of artificially inflated completion percentage throws. 

Exactly what I was thinking back then. Lot of slants against zone, lot of throwing to an empty spot in a zone and letting a receiver make a play. 

I liked his athleticism and thought he could be good with effort, but I had him as the definitive #3 QB, barely ahead of Brad Kaaya. I was certain Watson would go top 5 and Mahomes would be a worthy reach at 26 (where the Texans were picking) but I didn't really look at Trubisky that year as someone who would really step in and take the helm.

Hell, his own coach at the time didn't know - right? John Fox?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

as a miami fan i saw a good deal of trubisky at UNC while watching ACC play and there was absolutely nothing about him that indicated that he should've been a top pick. i was pretty confident that he'd be a 2nd or 3rd rounder and settle into a role of being a good backup or fringe starter. then pre-draft happened and he caught fire for reasons beyond my comprehension. i'd never call myself a good evaluator or anything of the sort, but trubisky going 2 overall really stands out as one of the draft moves that really befuddled me over the past few years.

People were worried about Watson’s arm strength. 

Trubisky wasn’t really the clear cut top QB, just consensus IIRC. Typical guy that checks off all the boxes, but wasn’t wowing many. It was a weak class at the time. I think plenty thought they should have gone Watson though, if QB at all.

Very easy to see why Mahomes did not go #2. Came from an air raid offense and just looked like a total project with how he played the position. Total gunslinger, pretty much neglected the short passing game that is staple of NFL in favor of big shots, as it usually goes with the air raid. Clearly in hindsight, a project well worth taking on.

7 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Trubisky wasn’t really the clear cut top QB, just consensus IIRC. 

He might have been the consensus top guy...it wasn't really clear. A lot of people definitely did like him, though.

As to the OP--with Trubisky it was measurables/tangibles, and apparently he interviewed really, really well. 

At the time I remember thinking he looked like a project with a big arm who threw a lot of passes he probably shouldn't have and looked like he just wanted to escape the pocket and throw a hail mary every play. I wasn't sure if he could play inside of a system. In hindsight I didn't take enough account into how incredibly talented he was, same with Lamar Jackson possibly.

The only problem when it comes to pure talent is for every Mahomes, there's a Jamarcus Russell. The football intelligence and dedication is what makes the difference and for a guy who wanted to just throw a jump ball into the endzone every play it's easy to think he doesn't take the game very seriously imo.

Mahomes wouldn’t have been as good as he is now if he a) didnt sit for a year and b) have Andy Reid as his coach. 

Andy Reid is one of the best QB whisperers of all time. Mahomes was turnover prone in college and made errand throws. Reid has helped him a lot. 

I always thought Watson was going to be the best. But circumstances and environment do matter. Trubisky was never good in my opinion. Wasn’t a big fan of his accuracy 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Mahomes wouldn’t have been as good as he is now if he a) didnt sit for a year and b) have Andy Reid as his coach. 

Andy Reid is one of the best QB whisperers of all time. Mahomes was turnover prone in college and made errand throws. Reid has helped him a lot. 

I always thought Watson was going to be the best. But circumstances and environment do matter. Trubisky was never good in my opinion. Wasn’t a big fan of his accuracy 

He had 10 interceptions to 41 touchdowns. The "turnover prone" argument was false from the beginning.

Nobody thought hed be able to make the throws he made in college. Because nobody else can make them.

Turns out hes just as accurate as the tape said. Gunslinger or not.

Hobo's 2017 QBs (Part I of III)

I had Mahomes as the top QB in 2017. Thought he was the only dude that was worthy of a top-3 pick. I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with his athleticism and arm talent. This is a guy that I thought would be the most athletic QB in league history. His stats matched the talent, too. When I first heard of him (from Charlie Campbell of Walterfootball, actually, right after the 2016 draft) I did some box score scouting. I was thinking wow, this could be the next Drew Brees (cuz obviously lots of passing yards = Breesus, duh).

Then I watched him play.

Wow. This kid was a whole different brand of football player. I'd never seen anyone exactly the same. I kind of understood the Favre comparisons later in process, as he was a cannon-armed gunslinger with a gritty mentality. But what I saw was a holy mix of Tony Romo, Carson Palmer, and Aaron Rodgers. He could move his arm and adjust his throwing angle like Matt Stafford (which I guess people saw as mechanical issues?). He could drop a dime into a five gallon bucket thirty yards downfield like Palmer. Definitely had their cannon arms to just launch the ball further and faster than just about anyone. His ability to scramble around but still keep his eyes downfield and feather the ball into a window felt like prime Tony Romo or Aaron Rodgers.

Just watching him play, you saw that he could be someone that teammates would trust to elevate them. He had the it factor.

And then, in the draft process, he convinced me. Those throwing power highlights were unreal. I knew he was crazy strong, but THAT strong?! Unearthly. Who was this guy? WHAT was this guy? I jumped into single tape, every play, every spliced together highlight/lowlight reel I could find. Every. Single. One.

And I saw. This dude wasn't just a great body. He also had proven production. Not just that, though. He had an intensity. He's a dueler. A gunslinger. A gamer. Not JUST that. Turns out he had a pedigree, too. He was a hot pitching prospect for baseball. His dad was a major league pitcher. There was NO WAY I would rate anyone higher. Even Deshaun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Hobo's 2017 QBs (Part I of III)

I had Mahomes as the top QB in 2017. Thought he was the only dude that was worthy of a top-3 pick. I ABSOLUTELY fell in love with his athleticism and arm talent. This is a guy that I thought would be the most athletic QB in league history. His stats matched the talent, too. When I first heard of him (from Charlie Campbell of Walterfootball, actually, right after the 2016 draft) I did some box score scouting. I was thinking wow, this could be the next Drew Brees (cuz obviously lots of passing yards = Breesus, duh).

Then I watched him play.

Wow. This kid was a whole different brand of football player.

You were ahead of the curve. Took the rest of us awhile to catch on. 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

He had 10 interceptions to 41 touchdowns. The "turnover prone" argument was false from the beginning.

Nobody thought hed be able to make the throws he made in college. Because nobody else can make them.

Turns out hes just as accurate as the tape said. Gunslinger or not.

Yes but the counter-argument to this is...non-existent lol. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Read their draft profiles and see if you can spot the clues on why people were so high on him but so low on the others:

Trubiski: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mitch-trubisky?id=2558008

Watson: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deshaun-watson?id=2558063

Mahomes: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

Trubisky "conformed," to the norm that is the national football league. 

Threw balanced, ran rpos seemed to be coachable. Didn't matter that he just had a year starting experience. 

The other two had big time traits, heck Mahomes was a white Albanian Stallion. God forbid the "dinosaurs," who run this league actually let the staff they hire develop schemes and coach up players to build around their best qualities. 

Does it surprise me John Fox was the head coach when Trubisky was drafted.  No...

Edited by thebestever6

Sexy and exciting article on why Mitchel Trubisky could go #1 in the 2017 draft, written by Joel W. Cade, that football guru, for another site:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-2017-5-reasons-why-mitch-trubisky-could-be-no-1-pick-041817

"5. Most pro-ready quarterback in the NFL Draft

For all of Trubisky’s flaws, he remains the most “pro-ready” quarterback in the draft. He is a pocket passer who was asked to read defenses at North Carolina.

Several positive things jump off the tape about Tribusky. He has a strong arm. He can make every NFL throw. He stays in the pocket. Pocket awareness is a major problem for quarterbacks coming out of college. However, Trubisky stays in the pocket and avoids pressure.

His NFL.com scouting report states the following about Trubisky:

Quick through his progressions and will double back to targets if his protection allows him time. Pocket mechanics and throwing motion are solid. Tough and competitive. Shows courage and poise in the pocket. Throws passes from balanced platforms and rarely defaults to an off-balance throw unnecessarily. Has all the arm you need. NFL call sheets will be wide open with Trubisky at the helm. Can dial up deep field-side outs with accuracy. Ball comes humming out of his hand when he needs to spike his velocity. Arm talent to whip a catchable throw from difficult angles to targets outside the numbers. Makes the standard “pitch and catch” throws with consistent accuracy. Ball usually comes out on time.

A quarterback who sits in the pocket, gets rid of the ball on time accurately will succeed it the NFL."

Other reasons were given- it was Cleveland; Jimmy Haslam, the owner, liked daring QB picks (see Manziel, Johnny); Sashi Brown was the GM; "Trubisky" is a Fun Name. Read the entire article if you have twenty minutes or so of your life to squander.

Edited by bzane