Report: NFL has discussed moving the Chargers to London

drd23

I know this has already been shot down but I'm going to echo a few of the points I've heard both on this thread and in general when it comes to an NFL team in London.

1) It's a logistical nightmare until the day in which airplanes or some other form of transportation lets us travel at least twice as fast as we currently can. (And even then timezone differences are still a nightmare)

2) No good FA's would ever come there. Why would they want to leave behind all of their friends and families to play overseas in England dealing with insane travel times, jet lags, foreign exchange and currency fees when they can still make millions by playing for a team in the states and having to deal with none of these issues? The team would mostly just be older washed up vets who still want to collect a check or young day 3 picks/UDFA's trying to prove themselves as starting quality NFL players.

3) Top draft prospects would also probably refuse to play. You'd see a lot of players pull a John Elway/Eli Manning.

4) In California where I live it is currently 5:13 PM, around the time a primetime game would be starting if it were a Sunday/Monday/Thursday. It is currently 1:13 AM in England.

5) Imagine that team actually in the playoffs, playing at home in one round and then having to travel to the west coast for the next round. 

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If you go back to the original NFL plan, they wanted AFC / NFC represented in both NoCal and in SoCal
Thy were aiming for Raiders/ 49ers in NoCal and Rams / Chargers in SoCal

But the AFC cities didn't step up and pay the extortion fees to build a new stadium....

So now we have AFC/ NFC/AFC in the massive SoCal market with Raiders/Rams/Chargers residing in that geography  ( LV is more SoCal)

The missing piece is AFC in the NoCal/Oregon markets and moving the Chargers franchise to Portland makes sense geographically. That being said, Portland would want to re-name and re-brand instead of taking sloppy seconds from California.

Re-alignment seems like an awful lot of change, just because of one owner's ineptitude.

This is why I was pumped the raiders were moving. The niners have the entire northern California market to themselves

I am hoping it will wipe out the exclusivity on raiders games being shown on TV as well. So freaking annoying when they are the only game on local tv 

Bezos will buy the Chargers and come back to San Diego and prime members will get 2 preseason games and 1 reg season game tickets. New San Diego entertainment compound with hotels and shops/restuarants with state of the art team facility with fullsize indoor and outdoor field and 5.8 billion dollar massive stadium to host 4 of the next 11 superbowls. 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2019 at 5:52 AM, wwhickok said:

Of course theyd listen, they now realize how big of a mistake they made going to LA

From a fanbase and overall league standpoint I totally agree, but I’m not sure the numbers would back that one up.  The problem with that is the fact that the Chargers are inherently more profitable in LA than San Diego, even if they don’t build a new fan base for long term support.  This makes the Chargers unlikely to move since they’re not financially suffering and likely won’t be once they get to play in a stadium with more than 20000 people

I'm for it. I want to see players taking naps on the benches during games due to jet lag. Make it happen. That would be amazing.

I heard a proposal this morning - if you're going to move one team there, move an entire division there. Then create a schedule so that teams from the US playing against that division stay in the UK for a month, playing all that division's teams. And teams in the UK division have long stints in the US where they go against several US teams. And then the 6 division games are fine for the UK division teams as well in terms of travel.

I think that's the only way the logistics would be remotely fair. But then the playoffs would come and screw everything up.