Josh Allen is an ELITE QB

VanS

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Honestly, I like the Bills, but yeah, they'll be a prime candidate for regression next year. They're way up there in a LOT of the stats that tend to signify a decline the following year. With the Pats now having played some real opponents, the Bills have, by a LONG SHOT, the easiest schedule played so far in the league. Last I saw, they were 5th lowest in games lost to injury, and 2nd lowest in lost AV to injury (this stat is basically an attempt to judge the quality lost to injury.) Outpacing their expected W/L. It's very likely they do worse next year, record wise.

I definitely expect the off-season talk to be that the Bills will be this years Bears in 2020. Though I am genuinely curious what stats your're referring too. 

At least there is light at the end of the tunnel with Allen compared to Trubisky. Something I'd keep in mind if I was a Bills fan, despite his lackluster performances this year. That team needs to get him some quality receivers though. They have nothing. 29 year old John Brown and 30 year old Cole Beasley aren't gonna cut it. 

Edited by PapaShogun

12 hours ago, VanS said:

According to the tweet posted by ESPN, since Week 5 Josh Allen is second only to Lamar Jackson in total TDs (passing and rushing).  That is why I said only Lamar Jackson is playing better RIGHT NOW. 

Right cause nothing else matters besides total TD's, good point. Jameis having a helluva season using that logic!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

People need to eat crow that were saying he was going to be horrible. 

I loved him as a prospect. I avoided having to eat crow on this one, thankfully.

...but elite? Absolutely not.

I will. I didn’t like him as a prospect. Thought he was the worst of the top QBs. Nothing he did to me popped out other than having a great arm and athleticism. But we’ve seen guys like that before. I thought he would be just another guy that flames out. And until he seemingly has self corrected after that Patriots game, I continued to believe he would flame out.

Now however, he’s trending upwards. Not elite. But very good. He’s a QB you should fear before playing. Just like with Lamar, he needs to continue to do it to be put into that elite conversation. But now that he’s not as reckless I can see some Big Ben in him, perhaps Steve McNair.

He did have an elite arm, but I think where I went wrong is I undervalued his athleticism in being able to help him make things happen as a young player until the game naturally slowed itself down for him. Many other guys with great arms never have that same “click factor” that he had. I knew he had the intangibles and the arm and some athleticism, but I saw Kyle Boller in him. Clearly I was wrong on that assessment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Wins isn’t a QB stat.

But it is the purpose of the game.  If the Bills are winning this way why change it?

This ain't fantasy football.  I could care less what stats my QB puts up as long as we win.

Edited by VanS

The Year 2 Trubisky comparisons are interesting and it's not completely impossible for Allen to experience similar regression, particularly when Buffalo has to play a tougher schedule next year. But going back to the traits you want to have in your franchise QB, it really does seem like Allen has an attitude/drive to succeed that Trubisky doesn't have - I'm sure Bears fans would know more about this but it very much looked to me like Trubisky didn't really put in the work this offseason to build off of last year/take his game to the next level, and he's never given off the vibe of being a QB who really wants it that badly. Allen seems the opposite to me, he's clearly won over the vets in that locker room and that's generally a good sign that people are noticing the work he's putting in. Just comparing them yesterday - Trubisky dipping out of trying for a 1st down to head out of bounds vs. that absurd second effort 4th down conversion from Allen - those are plays that just tell you how these players approach the game. The latter comes with bigger injury risk but you can coach the excesses out of him without getting rid of the overall approach/attitude. Certainly this is a superficial way of talking about them but to me if you're looking at these young QB's, if you're trying to project out how they look moving forward it's both about their body of work and about what you think their capacity to improve/develop is, and Allen looks like a guy who wants to and will keep growing. 

49 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

When you have a great defense like the Bills, all you need is your QB to play to not lose knowing that they aren't going to give up many points.  Allen is far from carrying them.  The Bills have one of the better OLs in football, most of the game I saw him getting TONS of cushy clean pockets. When he was rushed he looked lost, he didn't know where to move. But when the pocket was huge and gave him all day to throw a 5-10 yard pass he was efficient.  

The Bills built a solid team, strong defense, strong OL, strong run game and a couple consistent WRs. Also the Bills have barely been hit by injuries. They had literally no adversity this season, playing a soft schedule.  

Allen is not elite. His passing game is far from a elite level. 

I'm seeing a pattern here.  Jets, Browns, and Rams fans hating on Allen.  Sounds to me like yall are jealous he ain't your QB.

48 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

he managed the game extremely well.

How is it managing the game when his play directly led to them getting the lead?  That fourth down play where he picked up the fumble and converted the first down totally changed the course of the game.  Then in the third quarter he completed 11 straight passes that led to the Bills opening up a 3 score lead.

Yesterday was not game management.  It was quality complimentary football.  Defense was stout and Josh Allen balled out.

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

But it is the purpose of the day.  If the Bills are winning this way why change it?

This ain't fantasy football.  I could care less what stats my QB puts up as long as we win.

That's fine, but don't try to say a player is elite who isn't. They are winning do the team is fine, but you are talking about individual evaluations so pointing out that wins are not a individual stat isn't wrong.