Rams release RB Todd Gurley (Page 7)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I'm speaking completely objectively. I've got nothing against the Rams. I've seen Fowler and Brockers play for the Rams, and I saw Floyd and Robinson when they played for the Bears/Lions respectively. The 2 players the Rams brought in are pretty clearly worse than the 2 they let walk. I don't know how big the difference is, and maybe the Rams DC will scheme around them a bit better than they are used to, but the players themselves are definitely worse. Football guys I respect agree with that sentiment as well.

Fowler (who I love) shined playing behind Aaron Donald's double and triple teams. I imagine Floyd will do something similar.

Brockers was nothing more than a run stopper and space eater. Robinson is a younger/cheaper version of him with higher upside. I'm not sure which Rams fans you are referring to, but if they're on this board feel free to tag them in your response and I can address it with them as well. 

• Like 1

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Fowler (who I love) shined playing behind Aaron Donald's double and triple teams. I imagine Floyd will do something similar.

Brockers was nothing more than a run stopper and space eater. Robinson is a younger/cheaper version of him with higher upside. I'm not sure which Rams fans you are referring to, but if they're on this board feel free to tag them in your response and I can address it with them as well. 

Seems like Fowler was double-teamed at a much higher rate than Floyd was, tbh.  And Fowler still feasted compared to Floyd.

3 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Not Rams fans on this board. Guys like Brandon Thorn on twitter.

I really respect his input. He puts a ton of effort into his work of evaluating players.

1 hour ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Clay Matthews gone too 

I am loving this

Any chance you want to let me out of that sig bet that I'll probably forget anyway?

I'm sick, and really don't understand this move. It has to be something personality related. If it was injury, they would've given him a full workload this year and see how he held up. Worst case, his contract is easier to get out of next year. I don't understand this at all. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems like Fowler was double-teamed at a much higher rate than Floyd was, tbh.  And Fowler still feasted compared to Floyd.

Floyd is just not a good edge rusher. I know he was projected to be a good one out of college, but that has never materialized, at least not yet. Funnily enough, he is good in coverage. Some Giants fans really wanted us to sign him once the Bears cut him, but we already have an almost identical player in Lorenzo Carter.

4 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

I think he wants to be the workhorse. Would be surprised for him to go to a RBBC if Atlanta or another team is offering a bigger role. 

I think that's a bad idea for him. He should be thinking about extending his career, considering his knees. 

I can see why he would want to take a 1 year prove it deal and get some bulk stats though, that does make sense. 

All about the benjamin's 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:
6 minutes ago, N4L said:

Its a net zero move. The unused cap rolls over every year. So, if you don't spend that 6.3m this year, it rolls into next season and pays for itself in year 2.

You accomplish the same goals by moving money around in other ways. 

That is true, but then if you restructure someone else to create cap, you increase their cap hit in subsequent years, and you have less flexibility down the road. By not restructuring someone else, you keep that as an option should the need to create cap for a separate move later. So, its better to use the tools at your disposal now, rather than not use them. don't fire all of your bullets right now, so to speak

I see no benefit to not using june 1st designation if you are just going to try and create space elsewhere.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's all just accounting

I have a finance degree. This type of accounting is fun to me :D

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

After allowing my anger to subside, I think they made the right move. Looking at Gurley's contract, it would have been a pain to get out of it next year too.

How do you allow yourself, as a team, to give him that contract and then just outright release him like 2 years later because the contract was so bad? Just seems like wildly incompetent money management.

As an aside, Todd Gurley shot up to stardom then crashed back down to reality faster than almost any RB I've seen.

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We'll see. Fowler wasn't anything special until last year.

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Not Rams fans on this board. Guys like Brandon Thorn on twitter.

I really respect his input. He puts a ton of effort into his work of evaluating players.

I've never heard of Brandon Thorn. But as I told you, even if Robinson proves to be a downgrade (which is far from guaranteed), you're talking about a minimal difference. Brockers wasn't an impact player.