Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

So as soon as the person is infected with the virus starts wreaking havic on the body? Unless it doesn't and they show no symptom?

Obviously.

Is it possible for it to be a coincidence?

Of course.  But implying that everyone with a positive test and dies is being deemed dead from Covid is nonsensical.  I’m sure some have, and some have been missed.

• Like 1

And everyone on this thread are geniuses

*in... not on.

Nobody here is saying that, but a few are saying "listen to the geniuses, which ain't anyone in this thread - present company included".

• Like 1

The frustrating part for me is most of this is a risk/reward proposition and people are being absurdly risky for no reason whatsoever.

Im all in favor of opening things up and living our lives, but to do so safely some steps should be taken.  Social distancing, masks, avoiding absurdity large groups of people, etc.

Right now we have people who, for a number of reasons, are not willing to take those small steps to ensure this situation is handled as safely as possible. And there’s just no reason or excuse for it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Obviously.

Of course.  But implying that everyone with a positive test and dies is being deemed dead from Covid is nonsensical.  I’m sure some have, and some have been missed.

Well that's different than this:

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

Yeah if someone gets covid and then has a heart attack those are definitely related

22 minutes ago, ET80 said:

On this note...

Don't just "make up your mind", because your mind is woefully unprepared to make the right decision on its own. Lean on those who have dedicated a lifetime to understand this sort of thing.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'

-Asimov

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Well that's different than this:

Something can be related but not 100% responsible . Im not saying attributing deaths is easy, there are plenty of reasons why people could die.  Is it the preexisting heart disease or the covid? The covid likely put em over the edge.  It certainly should be taken into consideration and its not like theyre unrelated in any sense of the matter.

had the perosn with the bad heart survive if they didnt get covid? Probably.  Maybe not tho

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve heard of a number of stories like this, but never anything verified. Admittedly I haven’t being looking, but it’s never been presented to me.

It just seems somewhat questionable as it’s fraud on the part of the facility treating him or ME and potentially a hipaa violation depending on how the info got out.  And according to some this is happening all the time all over the country and everyone knows it’s happening but nothing is being done about it.  

Doesn’t pass the sniff test to me.

45 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

lol, i don't believe this

Well they don’t call it C(r)ook County for nothing!

And I get it, I’m just a guy in the internet and there’s no way to verify what I’m saying .  Skepticism is generally the best practice on the Internet.  But I’ve talked directly to one of the detectives who worked the case and I’ve got no reason to not believe him, so take it for what it’s worth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

A bit late to the "why wear a mask" party but... This sort of sums it up to me.

If you're really that up in arms about wearing a mask in public, why stop there? Why wear pants? Just take 'em off, walk in all Winnie the Pooh style.

Show some commitment, people.

That takes Pooh Bear'in to a whole new level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I was mostly just curious to see if people would listen to an expert that we are supposed to be listening to 

It's interesting how hard of a stance some people take against the possibility of the death toll being inflated

Probably because it's very complicated and "hard" for the numbers to be truly inflated. There are always a small exception but those wouldn't affect the death toll in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Xenos

I can't believe Buzzfeed of all places provided a good breakdown of all the pseudoscience and conspiracy theories. Some of them ended up being posted in this very thread including the Plandemic video and the Bakersfield doctor. A couple of these physicians ended up getting misquoted and ended up on that Plandemic video as well.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/coronavirus-spin-doctors

Name: Dr. Dan Erickson

Who he is: A former emergency room physician who co-owns Accelerated Urgent Care, a private clinic in Bakersfield, California.

What he has said about the coronavirus: At the press conference Erickson made a statistical error when he said, “California is 12% positive. We have 39.5 million people. If we just take a basic calculation and just extrapolate that out, that equates to about 4.7 million cases throughout the state of California.” In fact, 12% of Californians who’d been tested were positive — a difference that undercuts his claim, according to public health professor Andrew Noymer.

What authorities have said: Kern Public Health, the local health authority, also said Erickson was wrong when he claimed its top doctor agreed with him about the need to end the lockdowns.

Name: Sen. Scott Jensen

Who he is: Jensen is a longtime family physician in Minnesota and a Republican member of the Minnesota Senate, who was elected in 2016. He is not seeking reelection in 2020 and is rumored to be interested in a run for governor.

What he has said about the virus: On April 7, he gave a North Dakota TV interview in which he suggested that hospitals and physicians were being told by the CDC to list COVID-19 as the cause of death in cases where it might not be warranted. His comment that “Fear is a great way to control people” was picked up by InfoWars and QAnon supporters. He later appeared on Fox News and said hospitals get paid more if a patient is listed as having COVID-19 and is on a ventilator, which is true. He did not directly say hospitals are doing this for the money, just that it’s a concern. His TV appearances were used in the “Plandemic” video, but he disavows virus conspiracies. "I think that things are being taken out of context,” he told the Star Tribune.

What authorities have said: Jensen is a physician in good standing.

Name: Dr. Cameron Kyle-Sidell

Who he is: Kyle-Sidell is an emergency and critical care physician at Maimonides hospital in Brooklyn. In March and April, he worked in an intensive care unit dedicated to COVID-19 patients. He received his medical degree from Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel.

What he has said about the coronavirus: In a March 31 YouTube video, he questioned whether putting COVID-19 patients on ventilators was the right protocol and worried that this “misguided treatment will lead to a tremendous amount of harm to a great number of people in a very short time.” Since he raised the issue, other physicians have shared similar views. But his opinion has been misstated by conspiracy theorists to imply that the virus is not what the medical establishment says it is. On May 10, he tweeted that he had not consented to being included in “Plandemic,” saying, “I do not believe the narrative underlying the origin or spread of this terrible disease is one of human ill intent. We are fighting a virus not each other.”

What authorities have said: Kyle-Sidell is a doctor in good standing and his inclusion in “Plandemic” and other fringe narratives is the result of people misinterpreting or exaggerating his comments.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I was mostly just curious to see if people would listen to an expert that we are supposed to be listening to 

It's interesting how hard of a stance some people take against the possibility of the death toll being inflated

I think the issue is as @Outpost31 said people who take a strong stance that the death numbers are meaningfully over or under reported generally seem to be doing so with an agenda and a political bent 

I'm sure there were some deaths missed early on and other places that have classified some deaths they shouldn't have but ultimately what the exact death count is is totally irrelevant to what we do going forward and is basically just used to score political points in one direction or another

Interesting model tbh.  This would suggest to me we could probably resume travel between most of these places in the near term without hugely increased risk to the population of any of these countries.  Will probably take some time to build up the political will with regards to the US given all the negative press we get.  

The complications of reopening the economy. It's a relief, a concern, or both for a lot of people. Also it's frustrating to read about no clear safety guidelines in certain places. My cousin was just complaining to me about the inconsistency of it all.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-22/ecstatic-and-terrified-americans-are-rushing-out-of-their-homes

Americans locked at home for more than two months seem resigned to participating in a coronavirus experiment that begins in earnest this Memorial Day weekend, with all 50 states open at least in part. People are filling resorts, casting aside masks at the mall and weighing the dangers of a meal out. That freedom could revive an economy that has seen almost 39 million people file for unemployment over the past nine weeks, more than during the whole of the Great Recession.

However, many workers are anxious about returning during a pandemic in which cases have leveled off in many areas, but haven’t dropped as dramatically as many health experts would have liked.

The piecemeal approach that the U.S. and various states have taken has angered many business owners, who yearn for safety guidance.

In North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Amy Howie was livid at not being allowed to reopen her Papillon Salon even as salons in Georgia snipped and curled — and South Carolina reopened its beaches. But when the governor opened salons May 18 she was “shocked” that the state issued only voluntary guidelines. Among them, staff “should strongly consider” wearing a face mask. Howie’s going further and taking people’s temperature at the door.

“We have not been given any orders,” she said.

Also if we have a second wave, it's because of things like the below. People need to wear masks for specific places. It's not over by a long shot. And in order to avoid another lockdown, this is the compromise.

Trish Gleason of Huntsville reopened her shops April 30, five minutes after Alabama’s stay-at-home order ended.

Since then, sales at University Pickers and Redbird Boutique and Gifts are up over pre-Covid days by as much as 20%, Gleason said. Employees are wearing face masks, even if many customers aren’t.

“It’s just interesting to see how some people are over it and ready to get back to life, and luckily some of the states are allowing us to do just that,” she said. “The mask-wearing is how we were gauging people’s comfort. When we first opened up, 90% of people who came into the store had masks on. Now it’s less than 25%.”