Day 1 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Still not a Jordan Love fan. In case anyone was wondering.

That’s good. A lot of guys hate their pick then the next day convince themselves to like it because they feel they have no choice. And then the guy ends up busting and they were right all along but betrayed their own opinion. Stick to them guns baby. 

30 minutes ago, valkrei said:

He reminds me of Barry Sanders.

A poor mans Barry Sanders was my first thought when I saw him in terms of his build and quickness. He's got crazy change of direction skills, a low center of gravity, and slips through would be tacklers with ease. 

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

My first thought after the CEH pick was Trung Candidate.

They both have legs? Those guys are nothing alike. xD

One guy was 5'10" 1/2  193  the other guy is 5'8" 209

One guy ran a 4.46 40 and the other guy ran a 4.6 40

One guy had decent speed. The other guy has all-world elite quickness.

One guy caught 42 passes in 3 years (30 in his last year) The other guy caught 69 (55)

One guy was a senior with 600 college touches. The other guy is a junior with 479 touches.

One guy was not a kick returner. The other guy was.

One guy was drafted to be the backup to the runner up to league MVP (Warner) who had 26 TDs and 2100+ yards from scrimmage at age 27.

• Faulk won MVP in 2000

The other guy is drafted to be in the mix with a guy who was not a top 5 MVP on his own team who had 7 TDs and 711 yards from scrimmage at age 27.

One guy was a mediocre prospect who was a reach in round 1. The other guy was ranked 1c? in a pile of 5 guys jumbled at the top.

One guy was the 5th RB off the board in round 1. The other guy was the first RB picked.

You want to try Dexter Carter while you are on a roll?  

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And a franchise QB trumps all.  Look at how the board shook out.  You look at the WRs available, is there really any major separation between them?  Not really.  It's not a particularly strong DL class once you get past Brown/Kinlaw.  The board was pretty damn rough.

You already have a franchise qb though, who again, hasnt shown hes in serious decline. GBs not picking again until the 60's, Id rather take on of the next 3 Wrs a tad early then be left without that next grouping of WRs (pittman, higgins, etc). Queen was ripe for the taking, Blacklock was right there, I dont need to go through the whole list but there were a couple handfuls of players that could help out day 1. Again, this is already for a competitive team with some obvious holes. Instead of filling them with some guys who really arent reaches, they took a guy who hopefully wont play for years. 

It wasted an opportunity to help for the current window GB has. Maybe Love works out, maybe not, my question is why not grab a guy for the future a little closer to the end of the window then now. Is Rodgers really that disliked by the coaching staff? Cause its a really tough argument to say hes not at the bare minimum a top 10 guy for the next 2-4 years. At that point, Love likely has very little actual field time and hes halfway through his rookie deal. IF youre playing for SBs, grab a guy in a year or two or even three instead that made a conscious choice to weaken their chances this year in favor of a QB of the future. Quite frankly, most of that team should be upset, not just Rodgers.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

You already have a franchise qb though, who again, hasnt shown hes in serious decline. GBs not picking again until the 60's, Id rather take on of the next 3 Wrs a tad early then be left without that next grouping of WRs (pittman, higgins, etc). Queen was ripe for the taking, Blacklock was right there, I dont need to go through the whole list but there were a couple handfuls of players that could help out day 1. Again, this is already for a competitive team with some obvious holes. Instead of filling them with some guys who really arent reaches, they took a guy who hopefully wont play for years. 

It wasted an opportunity to help for the current window GB has. Maybe Love works out, maybe not, my question is why not grab a guy for the future a little closer to the end of the window then now. Is Rodgers really that disliked by the coaching staff? Cause its a really tough argument to say hes not at the bare minimum a top 10 guy for the next 2-4 years. At that point, Love likely has very little actual field time and hes halfway through his rookie deal. IF youre playing for SBs, grab a guy in a year or two or even three instead that made a conscious choice to weaken their chances this year in favor of a QB of the future. Quite frankly, most of that team should be upset, not just Rodgers.

Hasn't shown serious decline?  He's been remarkably human the last two years.  I don't know which Rodgers you've been watching.  Queen was a two-down LB who is going to get ran over in the run game.  I had Blacklock as a guy that I thought the Packers would be interested, but clearly according to Gute Love was the last player they had a first round grades.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

They both have legs? Those guys are nothing alike. xD

One guy was 5'10" 1/2  193  the other guy is 5'8" 209

One guy ran a 4.46 40 and the other guy ran a 4.6 40

One guy had decent speed. The other guy has all-world elite quickness.

One guy caught 42 passes in 3 years (30 in his last year) The other guy caught 69 (55)

One guy was a senior with 600 college touches. The other guy is a junior with 479 touches.

One guy was not a kick returner. The other guy was.

One guy was drafted to be the backup to the runner up to league MVP (Warner) who had 26 TDs and 2100+ yards from scrimmage at age 27.

• Faulk won MVP in 2000

The other guy is drafted to be in the mix with a guy who was not a top 5 MVP on his own team who had 7 TDs and 711 yards from scrimmage at age 27.

One guy was a mediocre prospect who was a reach in round 1. The other guy was ranked 1c? in a pile of 5 guys jumbled at the top.

One guy was the 5th RB off the board in round 1. The other guy was the first RB picked.

You want to try Dexter Carter while you are on a roll?  

42 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I wasn't comparing them as players.

I meant the comparison of CEH and Trung Candidate as luxury picks as the last pick of the 1st round by the SB champions built around an already unstoppable offense. I guess that's my fault for not making that more clear.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I meant the comparison of CEH and Trung Candidate as luxury picks as the last pick of the 1st round by the SB champions built around an already unstoppable offense. I guess that's my fault for not making that more clear.

Calling a player Trung Candidate is an insult.  Thanks for clearing up that you did not mean it that way.

39 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

God I hope he isn’t that bad

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

The 49ers have three picks left, next pick at 156. Likely gonna leave the draft with Kinlaw and Aiyuk as their main assets. 

Niners are pretty good with 5th-7th round picks & UDFA's making contributions. George Kittle, Dre Greenlaw, Matt Breida, Emmanuel Moseley, DJ Jones....all have done well starting games for us from the 2017-2019 draft/UDFA Cycle. Got some other solid depth at those spots too.

But i'm not gona even bother watching tonight or tomorrow lol. Unless we trade a future pick for a current pick. Which may be a smart play, with the questions surrounding the 2021 cfb season

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

This is the worst part of the pick to me. There will almost certainly be a half-dozen guys drafted in the 10 picks after Love who are contributors, maybe even star players, as rookies and throughout their rookie contracts at positions Green Bay needs help at right now. And they passed on them for a guy that, realistically, we won't even know whether he's good for another two years at minimum unless Rodgers gets hurt.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Hasn't shown serious decline?  He's been remarkably human the last two years.  I don't know which Rodgers you've been watching.  Queen was a two-down LB who is going to get ran over in the run game.  I had Blacklock as a guy that I thought the Packers would be interested, but clearly according to Gute Love was the last player they had a first round grades.

There are two, maybe three teams who would rather have their current QB than Rodgers and two of them are riding out the last year of a rookie contract.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

The 49ers have three picks left, next pick at 156. Likely gonna leave the draft with Kinlaw and Aiyuk as their main assets. 

On the bright side, it's not like the team was missing a ton. They are basically missing a third and fourth round pick, which probably would have been hard pressed to have a role anyway. I'm only sad about the lack of picks from a Forge entertainment perspective. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the bright side, it's not like the team was missing a ton. They are basically missing a third and fourth round pick, which probably would have been hard pressed to have a role anyway. I'm only sad about the lack of picks from a Forge entertainment perspective. 

Yeah just thought it was notable considering all the talk of them wanting to move back for picks leading in.