Day 1 Draft Discussion

Ragnarok

20 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

My only gripe about Herbert is no qb 6'6 has ever been good in NFL history. I love his physical tools, his personality is different than Rivers and maybe that is what Chargers need. He needs to work on staring down receivers, but outside that... he is just too tall.

Yeah, he's got immense potential but dude is frustrating at times and it's hard to point out why. He has never had anything like Keenan Allen, Henry, or Mike Williams, though. 

If he figures it out...uff. Watch out. Talent is special.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, he's got immense potential but dude is frustrating at times and it's hard to point out why. He has never had anything like Keenan Allen, Henry, or Mike Williams, though. 

He can be a clone of the Bills Josh Allen to start out with

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blue said:

Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub aren't exactly anyone's idea of elite (except maybe to Joe Flacco), but they both had very good careers. I don't think he's a lost cause just because of the height.

I wonder if guys that tall tend to get pushed into basketball instead of football, too.

I hope you are right. I guess a good comparison might be a more athletic Flacco.

35 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I agree. It's nice to have an athletic qb with a cannon arm. Chargers have the talent all around him. Honestly i like our WR depth and think we have some gems hidden under Rivers familiarity. Rivers didnt gel with some of our depth guys, because Rivers feeds off synchronicity from familiarity. So he tends to go to the guys he is familiar with, even if others were the better option on that play. 

With Herbert, i dont think that will be an issue starting new. 

God i hope the season happens.. im excited to see what the new era looks like.

Can some of the draft gurus tell me more about CB Damon Arnette? He ran a slow 40 and had some character issues in the past, but it appears the guy can really play. Good tackler, physical, solid coverage, tough, etc. I get that he may have a hard time in the NFL sticking with fast guys but why were some so low on him? 

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Can some of the draft gurus tell me more about CB Damon Arnette? He ran a slow 40 and had some character issues in the past, but it appears the guy can really play. Good tackler, physical, solid coverage, tough, etc. I get that he may have a hard time in the NFL sticking with fast guys but why were some so low on him? 

I really liked him for the Chiefs at 32 and am pissed you guys got him. Man coverage beast, whole division gearing up to emulate and stop the Chiefs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I really liked him for the Chiefs at 32 and am pissed you guys got him. Man coverage beast, whole division gearing up to emulate and stop the Chiefs

Maybe not stop, but try and keep up! Adding Jeudy and Ruggs in the AFCW will make for some fun games.

I'll admit I'm still scratching my head over some of the picks. One that some aren't talking about is the Saints pick.

McCoy is a up and comer and im surprised they would draft another center when he handled himself well enough last year and I can only imagine was still improving. The sky is the limit given his potential. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

My only gripe about Herbert is no qb 6'6 has ever been good in NFL history. He is just too tall.

I've heard this over the years. I took some time to think about it and here is how I respond.

Height doesn't matter when it comes to playing QB. There is no difference between a 6'5" QB and a 6'6" QB. An inch can't make a difference.

So why aren't there really good 6'6" QB's? (There have been a few functional ones who have had some form of success, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, etc)

Imagine a 6'6" or 6'8" high school athlete. That's rare. So you're starting with a small pool of players off the bat. 

Now think about that very tall high school player. If he's a very good athlete what sport is he going to play? He will probably pick basketball. 

Now you're left with an even smaller pool of very tall high school players who are generally not very athletic or might have a thick body. They typically play TE/DE/OL already or get moved there where their length can be better utilized.

So what do you have left? A microscopic pool of very tall QB's who are typically flawed athletes. 

This is why when you look over the lists of 6'6"-6'8" QB's (not many) most of them haven't done anything. It has nothing to do with their size. It's just a cupboard that's bare due to everyone raiding it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I'll admit I'm still scratching my head over some of the picks. One that some aren't talking about is the Saints pick.

McCoy is a up and comer and im surprised they would draft another center when he handled himself well enough last year and I can only imagine was still improving. The sky is the limit given his potential. 

Ruiz was likely taken to replace Warford when his contract is up next year

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Clearly Green Bay views him as a franchise QB.  Giving up a fourth round pick is a small price to pay.

Being honest, I don't see where that views him as being a franchise QB.  That views him as being "a hope that he's a franchise QB."  Viewing him as being an FQB is making the commitment that KC (at minimum) made to Patty M when they drafted him.  This strikes me as purely speculative.

10 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Being honest, I don't see where that views him as being a franchise QB.  That views him as being "a hope that he's a franchise QB."  Viewing him as being an FQB is making the commitment that KC (at minimum) made to Patty M when they drafted him.  This strikes me as purely speculative.

Huh? We traded up for Love. We didn't need to jump 17 spots to do it but we still went and got him. Not sure how that compares. 

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

CEH as RB #1 is a gross overdraft IMO. He is good, but over Swift and Dobbins? That’s crazy. He was at best, the #4 RB for me. Not enough juice for me. No great physical traits. 

I had him at #3 in my positional rankings (ahead of Dobbins, who has plenty of question marks), but he actually had my highest skills grade of any back in this class. He's a borderline elite route runner for the position with great hands. Great vision between the tackles. Fast feet that's able to eat chunk gains. Powerful lower body that allows him to consistently move defenders off their mark. Great with recognition and technique in pass pro. 

I personally love that the Chiefs don't prioritize straight line speed at RB (Kareem Hunt, Damien Williams, and now CEH). They understand what wins in the NFL, and that's getting players who win 1-on-1 matchups and scheming them into the open field. While I admittedly would've loved to see what Swift could've done in this offense, I love the potential that CEH has to be a monster in KC. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

CEH as RB #1 is a gross overdraft IMO. He is good, but over Swift and Dobbins? That’s crazy. He was at best, the #4 RB for me. Not enough juice for me. No great physical traits. 

Reid thinks he’s better than Brian Westbrook, and he’s a better fit for the Chiefs than either of those guys. 

His lateral agility is ELITE, easily. The guys vision is so good he finds holes and squeezes through. Great burst, elite receiving ability.

Edited by Chiefer
  • Like 1